interstim failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interstim failure

I had my interstim placed on Oct. 8. It has absolutely done nothing but cause pain. Has anyone had their interstim removed after the trial period? The medtronic rep said mine was placed right to left and I could have my doctor try placing it left to right. Does this make sense to anyone? I am very depressed that it did not work. Any suggestions?
    carlin

I'm guessing that the left to right, right to left, bit has to do with where the lead & IPG are placed. As a candidate for Interstim, I don't speak as one who's been there. I am terrified in being in your position, going through surgery & not having good results.
    IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

Comment

HI there,
      did your trial work? did you have the stage trial, where they implanted the wires? if your trial did work for you I am having a hard time understanding why it is not working now.. Have you gone in and have your doctor reprogram you??
      please keep us posted
      Brat
      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

yes, I had the staged trial where the wires are actually placed in my back. I still don't understand why the entire surgery hurt so much. I thought I would only feel vibration or pressure, I felt total pain. Like a very severe shock. Like needles in my private area. I am scheduled Nov. 12 to have the thing taken out or implanted permanetly. I have tried many different settings. The medtronic rep calls me every day. I'm just wondering how many people get the trial and then don't go on to have it implanted.
        carlin

Comment

Carlin,
          If you don't have the implant yet just the wires and you are feeling pain, and the settings have been changed, I personally would not get the implant. This dose not sound right to me by any means. You may cause your self more problems then you wish to have by having the ipg put in. You can (if you want) request them to do another stage and replace and move the wires, but I think I'd rather have it all removed before scare tissue builds up around the wires.... I imagine there have been a few that it hasn't worked for them, or it did and stopped. have you tried turning it down till you do not feel it? You don't have to feel it to work.
          best wishes to you and please keep me posted.
          Brat
          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Hi Carlin--

This is puzzling to me. With my trial, it did not hurt at all. I was able to keep mine at a comfortable 5 or 6. Anything above that was painful in the vaginal area.

Do you think that maybe it is on the wrong nerves? I don't think it should be painful. I have the permanent, and it's not painful, I don't even know it's there half of the time, unless I go into a store where there's some kind of strange electric currency and then I get a nice little jolt!

Keep us posted.

Hugs and love,
            Jess
            Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Carlin,
              I had mine on at just 2 1/2 to 3 any higher I got pins needles and pain... I am sure if you are having pain at a low setting then this is not for you..
              You have the stage trial now, why are they doing a 3 to 4 week trial on you? My tria was 4/2 and my implant 4/16?
              OK girls an Guys, any one have they stage and not go thru with the implant? We don't have much time before her surgery.
              Brat

Comment

Hi...I had my stage 1 implant for 2 weeks and developed a HORRIBLE infection from the incisions. I believe that stage 1 implants are not to be left in more than 7 days....am I correct? Be careful and observe for signs and symptoms of an infection:fever, swelling, drainage and pain. The only symptom I had was terrible lower back pain in which the doctor thought it was a pulled muscle since I have always had lower back problems to begin with. The day before my stage 2 surgery (the stage 1 worked GREAT for my retention), I developed massive amounts of gross drainage from the incisions, which in fact, I kept clean. Be careful!
                If stage 1 doesn't work on the lowest settings or you are uncomfortable with it at those settings, but it works for your bladder problem, I wouldn't go through with the 2nd surgery. It can be very uncomfortable if you cannot lower the threshold to where you can barely feel it.... I have been back at the uro doctor's office 5 times since my implant in June and had it reprogrammed because the sensations were intense in my rectum. There are a tremendous # of combinations of settings that can be tried to give you a comfort level that you can live with. You just need someone patient enough to work with you. Good luck!

scream
                Tina C.

Comment

HUGS Tina,
                  No most stage trials are 14 days. When they put the lead wire out the left side and the implant was going in the rightside I questioned it and they said just in case an infection starts where the lead is. It actually is not uncommon. I had my stage on the 2nd and then the implant on the 16th, and no infection thankfully.
                  Brat

Comment

thanx for the hugs...but thank goodness i am doing better....tina

Comment

Hi Tina. Thank heavens there's a happy ending to your story! I'm glad to hear that your implant was a success and that you're feeling good. I hope that Carlin is feeling better too. All the best to you both, little bear

Comment

Yesterday was the worse day I've had in a long time. The only time I cried more was when a family member died. I realized that the interstim is not going to work for me. After crying to the medtronic rep and my doctor, they moved my surgery up from Nov. 12th to Wed. Oct. 29. I am so depressed that it didn't work. I question though why they would have left it in so long between surgery's. I have blisters all over from the dressing. I will now begin to research bladder removal as I have tried everything and nothing has worked. Thank-you for all of your prayers and concern. Carlin
                        carly

Comment

grouphug grouphug grouphug
                          Hang in there , There is hope.
                          There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Carlin--

I am so sorry that the implant didn't work for you! I wish you lots of luck in the future, if you go through with bladder removal and what not. Keep us posted.

Hugs and love,
                            Jess grouphug
                            Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Carlin, sorry to read that your implant did not work for you. Please let us know how you are doing, you sounded so sad in your post. Please take care, and know we are all here for you, and do hope that something can be done to help you out, hugs Iris grouphug
                              Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X