ANS implant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANS implant

My doctor suggested that I look into ANS (Advanced Neuromodulation System). This is a little different from Interstim. He told me that Texas was the only place I could have this procedure done, and unfortunatly I live in Maine. Is Texas the only place I can receive this treatment? Has anyone had this implant? If so, was it helpful? What was the surgery like? I would greatly appreciate any responses. I have had a hard time finding people that have had this done. Thanks....
    Amy

Hi Amy,
    Are you aware that the ANS is mainly for IC patients that have pain? Is this what you have? If so, you can email me at [email protected] Tx-Brenda.

Comment

I am going to have an ANS nerve stim. that has external (radio frequency) control. With external control there is more range of strengh & frequency,& can be used at a higher strength! It's PATIENT controled! When the battery dies instead of going in for surgery every 2 or 3 yrs, you just pop in a new battery! Wow
      I think those are very good reasons to use an ANS model.
      Medtronic is really going hard sell. They are paying to send my doc to Texas (to Ken Alo) for instruction. My doc is going to use medtronic interstim on other patients who do want a completely internal system. ANS is prescribed for pain control, but Interstim is only for bladder frequency and urgency.
      It's going to cost approx $40,000 so I want to be very sure of what I get. Medicare covers most of that.
      iwish2befree

Comment

just a suggestion here....and its my suggestion, so whether you take it or not is up to you. If you doctor has never performed this type of surgery, the ANS, and medtronics is sending him to learn how to do it....I think I'd find another doctor qualified to do it and has done many prior to going through with this. This new pain doc I went to 2 weeks ago and I use the term doctor lightly..suggested i have something similiar, its called the SCS system, not much difference between the ANS and SCS. I spoke with medtronics for about 40 minutes about it, and they suggested to ask your doctor how many he's performed, and talk to patients that have it prior to getting it done, good, bad and ugly outcomes to it. If you are confident your doctor can perform this procedure and do it right, not by learning from a video or whatever, then thats up to you to decide. But I"d get every bit of info you can possibly get.

best of luck and tons of hugs!

deb

Comment

Great advice deb
          teri
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Before considering ANS nerve implantation, I would think long and very, very hard. While Interstim isn't always successful, and many have broken hearts---the ANS procedure is a DIFFERENT surgery completely. A "lamenectomy"(moving the vertebrae) is done during the ANS procedure and can't be done by a urologist like the Interstim.
            I can give you names and numbers of 5 or 6 people who will tell you anything you want to know about the ANS procedure. My ANS surgery was 3 years ago and I was in the ER just last week with continuing ramifications from that surgery gone bad. Please know this is only me, sharing my experience. COnsider all your options, and do NOTHING without seeking many many opinions. Take your time. Wishing you the very best.
            Sarah :eek:

Comment

Working...
            X