? ruptured bowel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? ruptured bowel

I have recently started to have alot of rectal bleeding. I just had a new interstim put in on Dec 2. I am wondering if it is possible for the lead to rupture the bowel. I went to the doctor yesterday and he looked into my bowel in the office and couldn't see where the bleeding is coming from. He was only able to look at about 5 inches of the lower part of my bowel, if that. When I have a bowel movement it feels as though something is getting ripped inside of me. It is very painful. Then toilet is also full of blood when I finish. I also have to wipe alot to clean all of the blood of off me.

Sorry for the graphic post but I am really scared.
    Louise
    West Virginia Interstitial Cystitis/Prostatitis Support Group Leader
    [email protected]

Hi Louise, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I think I've seen something about this on the Q & A that Jill put together re "Surgical Electrical Nerve Stimulation Techniques (Revised August 2002 - Jill Osborne)." I printed it out from the ICN website, but don't remember how I got there. It's listed under "Known Complications." Here's what it says: "A review of the FDA Maufacture and User Device Experience (MAUDE) database currently reports 18 serious adverse events resulting in injury . . . . Two reports revealed bowel perforations resulting in the lead migrating out of the rectum during bowel movements." That's all I've learned about this issue, but I think that it's something that you should at least keep an eye on (and maybe push your Dr. to look into further--asap--as well). Gentle hugs and best wishes, little bear

Comment

Little Bear, thanks for your reply. I think I am going to at least ask him to do an x-ray to see if the lead has moved. I am not sure it has because I am getting the same stimulation and my symptoms are under control.

I will look up that q&a of Jill's. Thanks.
      Louise
      [email protected]

Comment

Hi Louise, I'm glad to hear that you're thinking about getting an X-ray, etc. I'm glad, too, that your IC symptoms are under control and that there aren't other indications that the interstim is the culprit! I hope that you can solve this puzzle, stop the pain, blood etc.--asap. I wish I had more info for you, but that was all I could find in my stack of print outs (I don't think there was much more on Jill's Q & A--a link to the FDA page maybe? . . .). Please take it easy, take good care of yourself, and let us know how you're doing. Sending you all my best, little bear

Comment

PLEASE, get to a gastro ASAP to have this checked out. This is one of the very serious things that can happen with the implant and it's more proof that it's not as safe as some of our dr's want us to think.

I am praying for you Louise and hopefully there will be an easy solution for you grouphug
          teri
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

p.s. If you continue to have these huge amounts of blood.....a trip to the ER might be a good idea since the weekend is here~
            teri
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

Please give your doctor a call and let him know how much bleeding you are doing. And if you can't reach him, I suggest a trip to emergency room.

Sending gentle hugs,
              Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I agree with everything said here so far. This is nothing to just sit around and wait on. Good Luck.

Jolene
                Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
                http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

Louise,

That sounds painful. I agree, go to the e.r. if the doc can't do something soon. Keep us posted, you poor thing!!

Hugs and love,
                  Jess
                  Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Louise - I hope you got the the ER last night. That sounded like a lot of bleeding. Please update us. frown
                    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Louise,
                      I hope you went to er... I pray that your new interstim did't create this problem..but now, I am wondering tho if its not caused from the old interstim and wires tunneled thru your belly. hugs hugs hugs please let us know..
                      Brat
                      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Hi Louise, I agree with the gals posts, I would definitely go to the ER if the bleeding persists, it sounds really nasty. Hope you will keep us posted as to how you are doing, and hope you get some help. Take care and a hug Iris. hi grouphug
                        Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.

Comment

Thanks for all your posts. So far today I haven't had any blood. However, I have not had a bowel movement. That is when I start bleeding. If I do bleed severely again, I a heading straight to the doc. My new primary care doctor works at an urgent care center so he is there thru the weekend. Of course, if he is not there I will immediately go to the ER. I am hoping that the meds he gave me will stop the bleeding.
                          Louise
                          [email protected]

Comment

Hi Louise,

Good luck, I hope things get straightened out. That just sounds so painful! eek eek

Good luck!!!
                            Jess grouphug
                            Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

grouphug grouphug grouphug
                              Hang in there , There is hope.
                              There is hope. Prayer works.

Love, Debbie

Comment

Working...
                              X