Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstim pain question

Hello~!

My interstim continues to be a miracle! I do however wonder how many people are having post operative pain at the implantation sight? This is pain that is a sharp burning pain, and it started about 2 weeks after my surgery. It comes on when I twist or sit with my weight on that cheek. My incision looks beautiful, no sigh of infection. Just wondering if anyone had any views! Thanks!

BTW-sorry I missed you guys last week I was on vaca

Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

I can't remember how long I had it with my first stim, I really don't have to much of it with this one. It is normal, and will eventually go away. I do have that if I bump it.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I had the burning also, it was a couple weeks of it while it was healing. You may want to mention it to your Dr just so he knows your having it.

Comment

I had it also. It tok my awhile to feel better. I thought maybe it was just me, apparently not. Just cause dr.s say recovery takes 2 weeks- it doesnt mean that it wont take you personally longer. It did for me. Now, believe it or not I feel like it is a part of me. I had my surgery on Feb. 23 this year. I hurts lust a bit when I move in certain ways but overall its okay. Good luck and take you time healing.

Comment

I also had this pain -- it is, actually, completely normal for any surgery that requires an implant. You are right, it comes up about two weeks after the surgery. That is when your body begins to build a fibrous capsule around the implant to kind of hold it down and seal it off from the rest of you (it is, after all, a foreign body) and this type of tissue remodeling involves the production of a lot of things that can stimulate pain nerves. Plus, when you move, you pull on the newly made tissue, and that also causes pain.

It will last a bit, perhaps a few weeks -- I know that I could not wear a real waistband like the ones on my jeans for about a month after my permanent implant due to this pain. But, it does slowly go away and it shouldn't bother you much after that

Just make sure your incision keeps on lookin' good... and of course, if the pain gets worse and/or you develop a fever or a sick feeling in addition to it, definitely call your doc to have your implant checked.

Glad it is still helping
          Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
          *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
          *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
          *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I had it for quite awhile after my interstim surgery. I have had it 16 months and of course it is no longer sore now but I really don't remember when it quit being sore. It does get better though!
            Live life to the fullest day to day. The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time!

DX: IC - November 2002 after hysterectomy
            Interstim implanted March 2006 - died May 2011
            Interstim replacement June 2011
            Meds: Pain meds, muscle relaxer, cystex, and marcaine bladder instills as needed.
            Docs: Pain management doc, urologist, family practice

Comment

mine is doing that again lol. mostly if I bump it or sit wrong. it will eventually go away, I thin the tissues around it take a while to toughen up.
              It gets better I promise, trust me, I wouldn't have done it a second time if it didn't. also whats a little pain in the butt compared to how we felt pre-stim.
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Working...
              X