InterStim Trial Stimulator Is In and Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InterStim Trial Stimulator Is In and Working

(Sarojini deserves the Presidents award for providing a full, clear description of her experience with this surgery. I hope she continues to give us updates! - Jill O.)

Well gals, I made it through the trial surgery and lived to tell about it

We thought the roads might be icy this morning, so we left early -- but the roads were FINE and we got there 45 minutes early!! But, they took me back into pre-op anyway and started getting me into my gown, socks, and dumb bouffant cap. The nurse then told me to pee in some cup, and of course I couldn't -- first of all, I had just gone in the lobby, since I didn't know they would call me so soon, and second, I was starting to get nervous and "retain-y." So, she left that cup in the bathroom and said we'd try later after I'd had some IV fluids.

THEN, the anesthesiologist came by and started by saying, "Ok, well, you've had this done before, so..." HUH????????????????????????????? I said, "Wait!!! I am having Stage I InterStim today!!! I don't already have one of those!!" Turns out they were so booked so early they'd mixed up my chart with another of Dr. Evans' patients, who was having a cysto/hydro. If I hadn't said something, and if Dr. Evans didn't know me so well by now, I would have been prepped for and/or given the wrong surgery. SO FOR ALL OF YOU THAT GET MAD WHEN YOU ARE ASKED 50 TIMES WHAT YOUR NAME IS AND WHAT YOU ARE THERE FOR, THIS IS WHY THEY DO IT -- TO AVOID THE WRONG SURGERY STUFF.

Anyway, that was cleared up very quickly, and everything went smoothly. Dr. Evans came to see me, I got my bracelet, my IV was started, and they dumped a ton of lactated Ringers into me. They also gave me a few different antibiotics via IV as well. Then we waited, and waited, and waited....

Finally the nurse anesthetist came in to get me and I actually walked back to the OR. I had to lie down on a gurney on my back first; of course, I complained about it being freezing in there so I got a ton of blankets. Things started happening fast -- putting the pulse oximeter on, putting my EKG leads on, giving me some oxygen -- but I really didn't care since they'd injected something into my IV as soon as I got onto the stretcher, and that was making me feel out of it. Then, somebody said something about putting a Foley catheter in, and someone else said, "Jennifer, we're going to give you a little of something else in your IV now..." I went to sleep for a few minutes after that I guess, because I woke up a few minutes later and they were making me roll over onto the operating table onto my tummy.

"Hey, did you put that catheter in?" I slurred drunkenly.

Someone said they did, and I slurred something about "Good, I don't want to pee on anyone" which got a good laugh.

I must have passed out again on my way down to my stomach, because I woke up again with the anesthesiologist telling me to get my arms out from under me; he needed the IV ports. I stretched them out onto his boards spread eagle style, and he said, "Okay, here's the real stuff..."

And that is ALL I remember about my trial surgery itself!! Pretty dang amazing for just twilight anesthesia (sedation) and not full general...

I do remember waking up in the OR though when it was over; the anesthesiologist was calling me and shaking me, and I kept swatting him -- I was actually DREAMING that my husband and I had gone to the Caribbean!!! LOL Finally I woke enough to realize I was in the OR, drooling, and I slurred "Is it normal to have a dream???" and the anesthesiologist said, "Yes, I hope it was a good one."

'Course, that's when they flopped me back onto my back, and I realized my butt hurt like mad. Back to reality!! Anyway, I was given pain meds in recovery, and then the Medtronic rep came to hook up my external generator and show me how to work it (he'd also gone out to the lobby to show hubby what to do with it first, because he figured I'd be dopey). He futzed with it until the stimulation was in a good place and then clipped it to me. He was really cool and said I was welcome to call him on the weekend, and wrote his number directly on my generator

Then I was taken to the second recovery, and hubby was there waiting... they'd put out crackers and drinks, and I scarfed it all down. I don't know if they've been giving me anti-nausea meds, but the last 3 sedations/anesthetezations I've had, there has been NO nausea and I have immediately wanted to eat. (After they let me out, we went to Ruby Tuesday's because I was so dang hungry....

So, apparently what happened during the time I was out was that Dr. Evans got me spread out on the OR table face down, taped my butt cheeks open, made his incision in my butt, and used fluoroscopy to guide the lead wires into the hole in my sacrum that houses the sacral nerve. Apparently, I was good and he got a hit immediately, because my butt twitched as hoped and my big toe wiggled as hoped. I don't even think he roused me to ask me about the stimulation, but with proper twilight anesthesia I wouldn't remember if he did or not. He DID go out and talk to hubby -- he even showed hubby an X-ray of my wires inside me, and he said, "I made certain not to mess up her tattoo." (I have a biohazard symbol tattooed on my lower back, and sure enough, his surgical tracks go neatly around it.)

There are several incisions (likely used for threading stuff around) on my lower back, upper butt, but they are small, covered with gauze, and taped down with some sort of shrink wrap stuff. Out of all that, a large cord comes from one of the gauze pads (you can also see the lead wire a little under the shrink wrap stuff) and that goes to the generator hooked on my pants.

I'm doing okay now; I'm a bit sore, but already it seems to be helping my frequency, and I feel much emptier when I do go to the bathroom. We will see in a few days.

Right now, I'm going to page the Medtronic guy though, because I feel some stimulation in my FOOT still. I would like to know if there is a way to make that stop since it feels like my left foot is asleep....

Talk to you guys soon with more updates...
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 03-08-2007, 10:42 AM.
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Sounds cool! Im so glad it went well, and pain free! Keep us posted im so curious to see if this helps you. You had a great dr. and a great anestithis(or however you spell that )
    Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

Comment

Wow, glad you are ok! I have to say thank you for all that you remember and have shared about your experience....well written and may really help someone

Thrilled it seems to be helping your frequency!!
      Hope you pain and numbness at your foot goes down and away fast!
      Faith, Hope, and Love,
      Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
      Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

I'm so glad everything went well. I can't believe that you went out to eat on the way home. Amazing!!!!!!
        Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Jen,

I felt the stimulation in my foot as well for a long time which is normal as long as it isn't painful I was told. I eventually got used to it and don't notice it at all unless I am fully relaxed and once in awhile I feel a very tiny vibration.

Wouldn't it be nice to live life in a twilight sleep sometimes.

Comment

Oh, thanks Leslie!!! I had to leave a msg with the rep -- but the foot thing isn't painful at all, it's just like a gentle buzzing. And you are right, I only really feel it when I'm relaxing in my recliner or on the bed. If I'm walking around or doing something, I do not feel the "fizzy" foot.

I know... I was thinking, why can't I just lie here and dream a while longer??? Hehehe!!

Sharon, I was pretty surprised that I woke up so well without any nausea at all too! And I surprised myself by wanting to go out to eat! 'Course, I'm home and all I want to do is relax now, but man, I was sooooo hungry.
            Jen

*Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
            *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
            *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

YEAH!!!! That is the first thing I remember from my trial was waking up and for the first time in 5 yrs I did not have that "gotta go" feeling. And like Leslie stated the foot thing is to be expected, just should not be painful and and not make all your toes curl under. I think should you get the perm. they can adjust it to where it does not do that. That is one of my problems with mine is it totally messes with the nerves in my foot.

Good luck and I hope all goes well, and maybe for once you will have a great no IC symptoms weekend..
              God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
              www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
              Interstim Sept 2001
              1st InterStim Removal May 2005
              2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
              2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
              Hysterectomy 1999
              Tubes Tied 1997
              C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

Patricia, that's what happened to me... the stimulator wasn't on when I woke up, but the Medtronic rep came in in a minute and turned it on, messed around with some of the dials, and magically, the gotta-go feeling turned into "Hmm, well, maybe I'll pee sometime later, don't have to right now." AND I'd just had a Foley catheter removed, so my urethra was ANGRY. (They gave me pain medicine too, but turning on the generator really helped a LOT.)
                Jen

Comment

Wow, Jen, that's wonderful! I am so glad everything went well. I hope you get great relief from this, and that you heal up quickly!

Blessings,
                  Lori

Comment

Hi Jen.

I am glad everything went ok for you , it sound like you handle the anesthesia.
                    I was not the lucky one with that one at all..

So at least you know that the Implant is working and doing it thing , just don't get to upset if you don't get any good results right away , it does take a couple of days for many ..

I wish you all the best and take it easy !!
                    Get your pillows out and just relax !!

Cheers, Debbie
                    Thinking positive has got me through to another day!!

Comment

I am so glad that you made it thru okay. I hope that it will be a big help to you. Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon! Hugs, Amy

Comment

Jen,
                        I am so glad that you are doing so well, and thank you so much for the "play-by-play" that you've given. It means a lot to me, since I am having my surgery by the same doc in two weeks...now I feel like I have a lot better grasp of what will happen. I'm sure it will help others, too, that are preparing for their first stage surgery.
                        Rest up, have a great weekend, and keep us all posted as to how you are progressing.

Claudia

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
                        ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
                        back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

It's great to hear you're back home and doing well.

Donna
                          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

how wonderful Jen,
                            If it is bothering you turn it down, you don't have to feel it for it to work.. I am so happy for you.
                            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I am so glad that everything went so well and that you wanted to go out to eat afterwards. Make sure you get lots of rest this weekend and take it easy. Thanks for all the details. You have probably helped others who are in the process of getting it done. Please keep us posted.
                              Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Working...
                              X