Interstim Diary -- Day One with the Permanent Implant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstim Diary -- Day One with the Permanent Implant

Well, guys and gals, it's in and working. I'm a little loopy, so forgive any typos in this diary entry...

Got to the surgery center this morning at 9:30 as requested-- after not sleeping much last night due to nerves. I woke up several times dreaming of surgery occuring without anesthesia, and realized it was just my bladder reminding me it was there and scared.

When we arrived at the hospital, they took me right back and there was no waiting around in the waiting room, at least for me -- at this surgery center, they take the patient back, do all of the tests and IV starting, and then bring husbands or other caretakers back to wait with you. Maybe it has to do with some people being squeamish about all that?

Anyway, when I got there I had to pee in a cup again for a pregnancy test. Since they use fluoroscopy, which is basically a repetitive-shot X-ray machine, to place things, they always check for pregnancy so if the patient IS pregnant, she can back out of the procedure if she wants. (Of course, I wasn't pregnant as hubby and I haven't had intercourse -- just "nights for him" since my Interstim trial began. )

My urine looked awful -- I had been flaring since last night and was in a lot of pain upon arrival, and my urine had those flakes of tissue it gets when I'm flaring hard. The nurse saw that and helped me back to my little bed/recliner, and asked me what my pain level was... then she disappeared for a moment and reappeared with a syringe and IV supplies. After starting my IV with Ringer's lactate to rehydrate me and my first bag of antibiotics, she said the anesthesiologist said it was okay and gave me a little bit of Demerol to ease my bladder pain. A big shout-out to the nurse and anesthesiologist!!

Once all that was started, the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me. It was a different doctor than last time. This doctor was especially thorough, and wanted to do full general anesthesia -- and sure enough, it was indicated with a note as of this morning that I should have it if possible. I had been prepared for the possibility of this happening, and took this to mean that the two nurse anesthetists that my urologist doesn't trust to hold a deep enough sedation were working... so I agreed.

Being very thorough, this anesthesiologist requested I be given a treatment for my asthma before the anesthesia in order to be extra certain to maintain patency of my airway during surgery. I got a nebulizer treatment with oxygen and albuterol (Ventolin) while in pre-op, which no other anesthesiologist has ever requested -- BUT I must admit, my lungs do feel better than normal this time, too.

Then John was allowed to come back to sit with me. I was a little loopy from my pain med and from breathing oxygen rapidly during the treatment(higher concentrations of oxygen can do that), but it made the time pass a little faster. John was a bit surprised about the change in anesthesia, but we made light of the situation and he joked around, making me laugh.

Again, they were behind schedule (surprise, surprise), and I was taken into the OR at 11:29 for a surgery scheduled for 10:30... Oh well. What can ya do, right?

Anyway, I was asked to lay on a stretcher, and it was FREEZING in the OR, so they covered me with pre-warmed blankets. Of course, that's when things start happening fast; I was given something via IV to relax me and stop me from shaking, and they put all the EKG leads and other things on me. The oxygen mask was put on and I was told to take deep breaths, as usual.

To me, the difference between being induced to general anesthesia via IV and being sedated is like the difference between floating and being punched. The medications for sedation slowly and peacefully come into your bloodstream and you smile and float down, down, down... the induction meds for general come into your body with a burning, cramping sensation that travels up your arm, jumps to your jaw like a smack in the face.. then just a slight awareness of a metallic taste, and then.... mercifully, nothing.

All of this was done on my back; I don't remember anything, but I do know that as soon as the patient is down, the anesthesiologist paralyzes and intubates her, and begins maintaining the anesthesia using gas through the endotracheal tube. As soon as all that was done, I was flipped over onto my stomach, and Dr. Evans worked his magic back there on my butt.

When I woke up, I heard things then began to see things in the recovery room -- I felt something on my face, an oxygen mask, but the combination of anesthesia fog and unfamiliar surroundings caused me to swat at the mask and shout a bunch of unintelligible stuff to the nurse... LOL I then started to struggle, because I was on my back, flat, right on my incision... YEOOWWCH. They managed to get me to keep my mask on and quiet down, and they then rolled me onto my side for comfort. I fell asleep again for a few minutes, but woke with a start a little bit later... felt foggy, but slowly I became more and more awake.

When I was awake and lucid enough, I was given some pain medication via IV, and my husband and the Medtronic rep both came into my cubby. I immediately reached out for hubby to hold his hand. The rep proceeded to begin programming my new Interstim II through my skin... I jumped sky high when he first placed the equipment against my fresh incision, and he reduced the pressure, thankfully. In a few minutes, everything was ready, and the stimulation slowly came on. We got it to a place where I was pleased with it, where it felt like it did with the temporary box, and then the rep showed us how to use the remote control. Mostly, he showed John at that point, because I was still sort of out of it

After that, when I was awake enough, I was taken to a second recovery area and given crackers and beverages... I drank deeply to ease my sore throat from the intubation and again ate all the crackers provided ... LMAO The incision is just about two to three inches long, but it HURT though, so I was given more IV pain stuff and then, when they were positive I wasn't going to puke my guts out, a Percocet by mouth. All of that eased the pain and brought it down to about a 4 or so. Tolerable.

A while later, I was sent home, and rode home in the back seat of John's car... we had engineered it so that my butt incision wouldn't touch anything. I had my pillows and lay on my right side (the stim is on the left) and held a pillow behind my thighs to keep my lower back away from the seat. John covered me with a blanket and off we went.

I slept a good deal of the ride home. While I slept, John dropped off my prescription for antibiotics at Walgreens, and will go back later to get it.

Mostly now I am just resting, trying to stay off the incision, and waiting for the residual loopiness to go away

As for the Interstim, the stimulation is in the same place it was with the the trial stimulator, and so far, it is working just as well!!! Let's hope it continues to do so!!!!!!

Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Jen,
    So glad your experience was a good one! Mine was as well. I saw you on your way into the OR, but I didn't want to bother you.
    Rest up, keep off that left butt cheek!!!!

Claudia

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
    ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
    back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

I am glad to hear that you are still working in all the right places rest up, and get healed hugs.
      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I am so glad that things seemed to have gone well. Take care and rest. Hugs coming at you...very gentle ones.
        Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Get some rest now. I'm very relieved that you are back home and this surgery is behind you.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Claudia, glad to hear it went well!! You got the standard Dr. Evans double-sided Interstim trial, I see... he didn't bother with my right side b/c he got a such a good response on my left. However, retention is a bit different, as Paul told you, so I'm sure you need to try out both sides and see what's best. Let's hope you have great luck!!

You saw me? I was looking around to see if I could see anyone that could be you, but by the time I was heading into the OR I'd had pain meds and that breathing treatment and was sort of out of it... so I am sorry if I missed you. Plus, at that point I was all nervous and was mostly thinking of having it over with
            Jen

*Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
            *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
            *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

So glad to hear everything went ok!! I can't wait to hear how you're feeling once you've recovered from surgery. Dr. Evan's is sure a busy guy lately!!
              *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
              *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
              *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Jen,
                I'm so glad that the surgery went well for you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that you'll have a quick recovery and the interstim will work out great for you.
                hugs,
                Janie

Comment

Jen,

I figured you would be nervous, especially during "the walk into THE room" so I didn't want to bother you. I was in the last room right before you went through the OR double doors. Anyway, yes, I got the double-sided treatment!! He said that he got a "superb" response from both sides, so maybe we'll just get to see which is better!!

Keep resting!
                  Claudia

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
                  ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
                  back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Just want you to know I was thinking of you today, am very glad you're doing okay, and am praying for the Interstim to work well for you!
                    Sending a hug,
                    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                    Source - Pinterest
                    "

Current treatments:
                    -IC diet
                    -Elavil 50mg at night
                    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                    -Pyridium if needed,
                    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                    -Managing stress= VERY important!
                    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Hey! I was thinking of you today and hoping everything went OK. Glad to hear it did and that things seem to be going well. Rest up, lady!
                      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Glad things went well. Rest and heal, feel better soon.

Comment

Hi Jen,
                          I am glad that things have gone well for you and for you too Claudia
                          I want to ask...
                          were you totally under during the trial phase procedure like you were for the implantation phase?
                          I have heard that some docs just put you in twilight and I am nervous about that.
                          I am keeping faith that this will be the answer for me.
                          Prayers,
                          Georgia L
                          Faith is not believing God can; Faith is believing God will!

Comment

Dr. Evans told me I would be in the twilight stage for the trial so that I could respond to the way the stimulation was occurring. When I came out of the surgery, I told him I thought he wasn't going to put me completely under so I could respond. I thought I was out completely. He smiled and said you were able to respond. I remember nothing of that. I think it was the same for the colonoscopy. I don't remember a thing. So if yours is like mine - you don't need to worry.
                            Maggie

Comment

I was given twilight sedation for my trial stage as well (also done by Dr. Evans). Like Maggie, I don't remember anything -- the drug they use keeps you on that fine line just before unconsciousness, and you can be "lightened up" if the doc needs to ask questions. Thing is, the drug also induces amnesia regarding events that happen while you are on it, so even if the doc does ask you a question there's a 99% chance you will not remember it later. You'll think you were completely out, so don't worry about that at all

I know that with my doc, he even does do some permanent implants under sedation as well... I got full general anesthesia for a number of reasons, but he has had quite a few patients do just twilight sedation and do fine.
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X