1st Trial Phase Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Trial Phase Done

I've been very busy since Wednesday when I had the trial done. On top of all this I'm in the process of moving.

Well, mine was done totally differant. After getting checked in I met with the annesthesia guy. I would only be having a mild sedation and the procedure would be done only with a local. So, they started the IV and I had to wait for awhile. Then I met with tech from Medtronic who explained the system, etc. Then the Docs came in to explain why the local and mild sedation. They wanted me to cooperate during the procedure to make sure the permanent leads were placed in the correct position. Then it was off to the OR.

I then had to lay down on my tummy and the doc gave me some meds which only made me feel comfortable. Then the docs came in and loaded me up with the local. I felt no pain, but loads of pressure. Then the juice came on and they asked where I felt it and what it felt like. When they felt it was correct they proceeded with more shots and then started the same thing on the other side.

After about 45 min they were done and off to recovery. The Medtronic tech came in again to show the box. He place a brand new battery in it for me. I have two leads - one for the right side and other for the left (you can tell the right from the left too). So, the right lead is given the letter A and the left given the letter B. I have to do the A lead for 7 days and then turn it off and tape it done. Then I untape B and connect the lead to the juicer. I then wear that for another 7 days. So far I only need the juice on to a number 2 setting and its very comfortable.

The VA just does a verbal voiding record. So, I can tell you right now its WORKING!!! :woohoo: Instead of going two to three times an hour I can go about 4 hrs. It also has stopped the peeing accidents. I haven't had one post procedure. The first night I slept from 11 PM to 5 AM before I had to go. That was so wonderful to sleep like a charm and not having to get up in the middle of the night.

I've been doing all this running around trying to get my apartment ready for the 1st of March and it was awesome that I didn't have to stop anywhere to make a pit stop.

I just hook the juicer to my PJ bottoms and haven't had a problem sleeping that way. I also use a CPAP machine at night and I don't roll all over the place.

I see the docs again the day of the permanent surgery which is the 28th. If they agree that it was a success then they would go ahead and do the pacemaker... If it doesn't work then they'll remove the two leads. They said the 2nd phase is also 45 min... To remove the leads its only 15 min.

I thought there was only going to be 1 lead and I got two. The docs know that my voiding problem is associated with urgency and frequency and I don't know if that has to do with the wires being used on both sides...

Also, the next phase will also be done under local. They were very pleased on how they found the correct spots needed for treatment. They said that they get better results when the patient participates during the procedure.

Ellen

Ellen,

So glad to that you have the leads placed for the trial and that so far it is working! I hope that this will do the trick for you and give you the relief you deserve. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs,
    Amy

Comment

Glad it's working - that's wonderful!
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Glad it's working My doc normally does two leads too... but he got such a great position with my left side that he didn't even bother to go into the right since he just knew the left was going to work. He was right

Be careful while you're moving... if you're bending and twisting too much during the trial, you run the risk of moving your leads, which can require some revisions. Hopefully you have someone to help with boxes!!

Anyway, soooo glad you are happy with it so far!!
        Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Glad you are having so much success!! Wow, I can't believe you remember the whole procedure. Hopefully they will give you a bit more for the permanent so you don't have to remember that one.

It looks like several of us are doing well with the first stage interstim right now, and Jen is rolling right along with her permanent.

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
          ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
          back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

this has been really good for mereading all your girls sucesses.
            Before i had my trial last yearrs i neverr talked with anyone who had an interstim, and after my failure i started doubting in my mind that anyone could be helped by this device.
            It was nothing he did wrong, i knew that, it waws me and my degenerative nerves and it was such a long shot it wouldeven work. but he was willing to let me try. i still thank hin for that.
            After 2 1/2 hours in surgery, and what he discribed i looked like a voo-doo doll with over 20 needles marking the sited he tried tring. Right side had no response. left side waas left in the one spot that had just a litle.
            i wasssss in 'twilght' the trial, and general with the removal.

i will say too Ellen... take it easy! it may seem like a simple thing but is serious proceddure you have just done to your body, rest rest rest!
            thanks for all the updates, it has been greta reading all the posts
            daytripper

Comment

I am so glad that you are have success
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I am really glad for you. Be careful, my lead migrated I believe it was bending to much. NO one told me to not bend.
                IC/IBS Hopeful : I had my bladder removed on September 29, 2008 for me but I am also so happy I have no regrets

Comment

Working...
                X