Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstim Diary--Day Two with the Permanent -- Succinylcholine Sickness

UGH.

Why do I have to be in the "small percentage of people" half the time?

Today I am suffering with succinylcholine sickness, which is horrible soreness all over the body due to the paralytic (succinylcholine) used during general anesthesia. It happens due to the biological mechanism of sux (an apt abbreviation for the stuff, IMHO) and how it works on the nerves and muscles to induce paralysis. They give medication in the OR to prevent the soreness, but in a small percentage of people, it doesn't work, and they end up sore as all heck, all over the body, including breathing muscles, the day after surgery.

Luckily, it is better this time than the last time I had general anesthesia, probably because I told the anesthesiologist beforehand that this happens -- he said my fibromyalgia probably also contributes, and said he'd do all he could to ease the pain, but that it was likely he couldn't make it all go away. He did a good job though. This time, I am able to sit up, walk some, and eat -- last time I had to just lie there with my husband feeding me mush because even my jaw hurt.

As for my Interstim, the incision hurts, but I've been taking my pain meds and it is not too too bad. I do feel some stinging, burny type pain back there, and when my meds start to wear off I feel like someone kicked me in the tailbone/lower back area. Still, I am pleased... the device is working as well as the trial so far.

I have practiced using the remote. The remote can be used to turn the implant on or off, to change the level of the stimulation (and later, once my doc finishes programming it, to change the area of stimulation too). You can either put the remote itself directly on the implant, OR you can use the external antenna. I've been using the antenna, which you put over the implant -- it has a cord that allows the remote to come around front so I can see what I am doing. During the first few days, when I'm getting used to the buttons, I think I will do that. I'm sure later I'll get so used to it I'll be able to just stick the remote back there and manipulate the buttons blind, but for now, I'm not confident enough... plus, I really haven't had to mess with it all that much other than to turn it up some.

So... I plan to stay in bed most of the day resting... From prior experience, I know the succinylcholine pain will be gone by tomorrow, but man, am I sore today!!!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Jen,
    So sorry you are sore and uncomfortable today. As if the surgery isn't enough soreness, you have to deal with this, too!! But, at least your implant is working as well as the trial so you don't have to deal with the crazy urgency and frequency on top of all this!

I know what you mean about being in the "small percentage of people." Yesterday, when they started my IV, my arm turned really red and they were afraid something was wrong. But, I told them, no, my skin just turns super red even if you look at it wrong. LOL. Then they said that the antibiotic they were going to give me via IV usually would turn the arm red and my hubby said, well, whatever it does to most people, multiply it by five for her. And it's so true!!!

Well, at least you know that this crappy soreness will only last a day. Well worth it for the relief you are feeling.

Claudia

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
    ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
    back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

I'm another one who doesn't deal well with general anesthesia. The next time I have a hydro, I am going to tell the anesthesiologist at the pre-op visit that if anyone mentions a general, I am leaving! I'm happy for you that the unit is working well. Hopefully you'll feel better very soon.

Warm hugs,
      Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Glad the Interstim is helping & hoping you are better soon!
        Relax & rest, okay?
        Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
        I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
        Source - Pinterest
        "

Current treatments:
        -IC diet
        -Elavil 50mg at night
        -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
        -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
        -Pyridium if needed,
        -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
        -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
        -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
        -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
        -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
        -Managing stress= VERY important!
        -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

((((((((((((((jen))))))))))))))
          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Oh, yeah. I hear you on the "small percentage" thing. That's me too!
            Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
            ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
            Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
            -Pyridium if needed,
            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
            -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
            -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
            -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
            -Managing stress= VERY important!
            -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Hi Claudia,
              I know what you mean by the % and husbands...
              when I had my pre op last week and they put the turnucet on my arm to draw blood the lady just starred at my arm then me and my husband chimed in and said "they have had to use those veins so much they are all used up LOL just try my healthy ones over here"
              I know he means well but it is frustrating that it really feels true... he has had one IV in his life! and I cannot remember them all to count how high I have had blood drawn and IVs!
              We will make it girls!
              God will make a way!
              Feel better Jen!
              GL
              Faith is not believing God can; Faith is believing God will!

Comment

You are right Georgia, girl power!!!! LOL

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
                ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
                back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Jen,
                  Sorry you're feeling a bit sore today. The great news is that your interstim is WORKING!!! Congrats.
                  mom_in_ma

Comment

:woohoo: Girl power!!!

I could sure use some right now. In addition to the sux sickness, I've got some kind of rash... it's mostly around areas where I sweat, under arms, under breasts, in the creases of my crotch... ugh. We remembered that I had it after the trial surgery too, but chalked it up to me not washing soap off well enough before I figured out how to bathe properly.... but now we're starting to think that I'm sweating out something they gave me in the hospital and I'm allergic to it. I can't even begin to imagine what it is... I guess one of the antibiotics is the most likely culprit.

UGH UGH UGH!!!!

Going to have to discuss all this with the doctor....
                    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

It does get easier to use the remote. I just put my fingers on the button I'm going to use - but I think I have an old version.
                      Maggie

Comment

Sorry about your rash, Jen. That's very strange. Hopefully it will go away quickly. Is it itching or painful?

~Claudia

~ The Wizard of Oz

Comment

Working...
                        X