Trial Follow-up Appointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial Follow-up Appointment

Hi everyone! Well, I had my follow-up appointment today, and it was quite interesting. I say this because I almost passed out while Dr. Evans was removing my stitches! I know it's crazy and I don't get it myself. I was standing there and the incision locations were very tender, but nothing out of control. Well, he got to one, and I guess maybe my skin is a bit swollen, because he said it was really tight and he was having trouble getting to it. I already knew this because it felt like he was stabbing me!!! All of the sudden, I got VERY hot and began to sweat...so much that I could wipe it off my face. Then, things just kind of looked and sounded weird. I was thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh, I am going to pass out. Should I say something? How embarrassing! What should I do??" I took off my sweatshirt (luckily I wore a tank underneath) and he finally got the tough stitch and I was able to sit down and put my head down till I felt better. Whoa!

Anyway, other than that...he was as happy as I have been with the improvement in my volume of voids and the amazing decrease in constipation. He said in Europe, the interstim is approved for constipation, and I told him I could testify to it working! Anyway, he prescribed me some Lorcet plus for breakthrough pain to get me through the next surgery, which is this Friday. He was also very impressed that I had been changing the unit settings and leads to find the best setting for me. When I mentioned to my hubby that Dr. E seemed surprised, my hubby said, Yeah, normally people don't do it, but the rep trusted that I (hubby) understood electronics and circuits so that we could do it without messing it up. So, what I am hoping is that I will have less issues when it comes to programming, because I already know where it needs to be programmed since I've tested out all the settings combinations.

He also told me that he had carefully made certain incisions around my lower back tattoo...He's so considerate! He also said there are no signs of infection and everything appears to be healing well. Finally, he cut the lead that I won't be using so I don't have to walk around the next few days with TWO cords trailing after me. He left some of the wires out and just taped them down so he can place them nicely back under the skin, as he usually leaves both leads placed just in case there has to be a switch at some point.

So Friday it is! I must tell you, I'm excited, but I'm also dreading it. I am still hurting and tired from the first surgery, and now it seems that all the incision sites are REALLY sore...it's tough to jump right back into a second surgery when I feel like this.

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
    ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
    back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Hey Claudia... glad your appointment went well, aside from the one tough stitch there. I guess you must have been out of there by the time we got to the office, 'cause I didn't see you around.... anyway, my post-op appointment went very well too. I'm glad you are all clear and set to go for Friday! You're going to love it when you don't have all these cords trailing along
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Sounds like that stitch had moved in for good. Glad things are going great

Comment

So glad everything is going good... I will have you in my thoughts and prayers for friday...
        Hugs
        Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
        Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
        Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
        Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
        Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks Leslie and Ronda. I think you are right, that stitch was taking up permanent residence...that's what it felt like anyway!

~Claudia

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others."
          ~ The Wizard of Oz

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own
          back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" ~ Dorothy

Comment

Friday is the BIG day for you Claudia. :woohoo: I hope the best for you.
            Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
            http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
            http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

So glad it is all going well. Sorry you almost passed out!! Sending you well wishes and prayers for Friday
              Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

Comment

Thank you everyone for my Friday well wishes. I appreciate all your support!!

~Claudia

~ The Wizard of Oz

Comment

glad all went well.. You an Jen both mentioned having stitches. I didn't have any. They used those terry strips, and what appared to be glue
                  'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I think he's tried the glue and staples, but patient preference was stitches, so he went back to those. And I am SO glad, because I am horribly allergic to that glue!!

~Claudia

~ The Wizard of Oz

Comment

Working...
                    X