Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstim in Canada

Hello Everyone :-)

I am wondering if anyone has had the Interstim as a form of treatment here in Canada??? I am interested in this. I would like to try it as I am really struggling with frequency, urgency (and pain too). I have tried all other forms of treatment including botox injections which is failing greatly this time around - may kick in, fingers crossed.

Did you have to buy the device? Was it covered under provincial health care benefits? Was the doctor's fee of the surgery covered?

I am just wondering how it works here in Canada. OR if it is offered here in Canada. I know it was commercially released here in 1994.

Any advice or input would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Wizbe

Current Meds:
    1 Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    1 Cimetidine 300mg 2x a day
    4 Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day (3600mg)
    1 - 2 Atarax 25mg at bedtime
    1 baclofen 10mg 3x a day as needed
    200mg of Pyridium 3x a day (usually do in cycles - on for a week or two as needed) - I am very careful about this.
    2 belladonna and opium suppositories as needed for pain daily.
    Bladder instillations (Lidocaine, Heparin, & Sodium Bicarbonate)

I have tried but failed -
    lidocaine instillations, heparin instillations, oxybutynin by mouth also called ditropan, tylenol 3s with coedine, cyclobenzaphrine, Ativan, vesicare, Oxytrol patches worked for 3 to 4 years and then failed, I tried Uracyst and had some success but my urologist felt that it was not successful so we moved on to trying something else. .
    [/I]

Re: Interstim in Canada

Try searching old posts. There was someone here that lived in Canada and went to the states to get one, I believe she Paid out of pocket for everything, she even had to go back to the doctor that put it in a few times for adjustments.

I believe this was a few years ago. Rules and regs may have changed since then.

Try googling to see if you can find any one in Canada putting theses in people.

I don't know for sure I have read lots of posts that people say they are told they work for pain, and then they didn't. I believe if you go to the manufacture web site it says not for pain, I do believe that they help with frequency.

At one point in time I looked into it too. Since pain is one if my main problems that us as far as I got.
    My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Yes, I lived in Belleville, Ontario when I had the Medtronic Interstim trial. It was 100% successful. Then, after moving to Winnipeg, MB, I had two surgeries to have the permanent implant inserted (First one side, then the other) That was in 2008. At first they seemed unsuccessful, although now, I know it scrambles the pain signal to the brain, significantly. Undoubtedly, my implant has saved me countless trips to the E.R. in eight years. Yes, my urologist at the Toronto Western Hospital told me, this spring, that Medtronic does not intend the implant for IC pain purposes. With all this said, however, I still experience horrific pain, post-voiding, on a daily basis. Hershey

Comment

I am really considering it! I know it will not do anything for pain BUT it will help with frequency?? I would like to do the trial to see if it would work for me. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it :-)

Current Meds:
        1 Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
        1 Cimetidine 300mg 2x a day
        4 Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day (3600mg)
        1 - 2 Atarax 25mg at bedtime
        1 baclofen 10mg 3x a day as needed
        200mg of Pyridium 3x a day (usually do in cycles - on for a week or two as needed) - I am very careful about this.
        2 belladonna and opium suppositories as needed for pain daily.
        Bladder instillations (Lidocaine, Heparin, & Sodium Bicarbonate)

I have tried but failed -
        lidocaine instillations, heparin instillations, oxybutynin by mouth also called ditropan, tylenol 3s with coedine, cyclobenzaphrine, Ativan, vesicare, Oxytrol patches worked for 3 to 4 years and then failed, I tried Uracyst and had some success but my urologist felt that it was not successful so we moved on to trying something else. .
        [/I]

Comment

Originally posted by wizbe View Post
          I am really considering it! I know it will not do anything for pain BUT it will help with frequency?? I would like to do the trial to see if it would work for me. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it :-)
          Hi. You've nothing to lose by going for the trial. Everyone responds differently, and it's possible it will help with frequency, as well.
          I catheterized my bladder twice, then once a day w/lidocaine and bi carb and it briefly helped, however, the action of catheterizing began causing too much irritation, thus exacerbating the pain, and I stopped doing it.
          I notice you take Gabapentin. I know several IC sufferers do as well. I have found the most effective treatment for pain, so far, is Lyrica (Pregabalin), which is, apparently, the next generation of Gabapentin. If you have significant nerve pain, it's truly an amazing analgesic. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X