What is TENS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is TENS?

What is TENS? I've seen it mentioned several times?

I was on a TENS unit at one point for fibromyalgia. It is an electrical stimulation device that has two leads that can be placed on most places on the body. I was not helped by ot because my pain was not localized--- TENS units help more when you have pain in a central location, and since mine is everywhere, I was not helped.

Amanda
    ([email protected])

Comment

Subarusue, this is how the TENS unit is described in the IC survival guide:" The therapy involves placing electrodes on the skin's surface. When used for home therapy, a clip-on-belt stimulator unit creates a small electrical charge that runs between the electrodes and desensitizes the underlying nerves. While the TENS unit is running you will feel a tingling of the area being treated."
      "TENS therapy can be delivered to the IC patient through electrodes attached to the lower abdomen. Alternatively, a vaginal probe with attached electrodes can be used. Most clinicians use the vaginal probe because the therapy can be administered as close as possible to the bladder, pelvic floor muscles, and nerves."

Hugs,
      Alisha

Comment

Working...
      X