best TENS machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 123456 View Post
    I have an EMPI. My insurance totally covered it. Don't forget to get a probe along with the electrodes for internal work.
    Do you have to request a certain precription from your doctor to get the probe as well?
    Also, does the doctor have to note the brand/type you want filled?

Comment

I have my TENS unit and looked at it, but I wasn't hurting too much until today. I came back here to see Sully's instructions and will try it soon.

I have my trip coming up in 10 days and not only do I have the IC, but a couple of weeks ago, I twisted my knee and now I'm also wearing a knee brace! I told my sister-in-law that I may be in pain and have to walk slow or get a wheel chair, but she says that's OK.

Comment

Need better explanation of placement of pads

Jocotter (or Joyce or anyone who can help),

The pads work in pairs. Does one half of the pair go on the front (near the pubic bone is where you described) and it's "partner" go in the back? Or, does one pair of pads go on the front and the other pair on the back?

Thanks,
        Bill

Comment

Bill,
          One pair go in the front just above the pubic bone. Not over hair because that will cause them not to stick as well. And the other pair go just above your tail bone next to your spine, not over your spine, one on top of the other. Or you can use both pairs over your pubic bone but crisscross the pads of the pairs at an angle, I mean with one pad low and the other pad higer but next to it. Then do the same with the second pair of pads. The pair kinda talk to each other as far as on one pair. Sorry if this part is confusing. Hope this helps and hope the tens unit will help with your pain. IC is really a difficult, crazy, frustrating illness to deal with. I have recently found relief, temporary at best but with a nerve block. The first one lasted about 3 weeks and this second one is still working after almost 3 weeks. It is nice to get a breather after being in constant pain for 3 yrs. I can only do so many nerve blocks before they stop working or I have too many steroids.

sully

Comment

Thanks Sully. That helps.

Comment

tens

I've tried this treatment and I think it's great it helps most but it always hurt a pelvis on the right side and for days that right muscle felt like it was pulled or something. It hurt really bad when my PT turned it on. We tried more lubrication and tried adjusting it and making sure it was on tight.
              2&1/2 yrs now from taking Diflucan2x.
              hydroxyzine hcl mostly during pms
              heating pad
              trying to stay on allergy diet & botanical food diet

Comment

i am new here
                I have had two flares after a year of no flares
                Started after knee replacement??????????also have low IGG#3 antibody and am on plasma replacement for 7 years

I think this last one was caused by PCP telling me to take gatorade 3 8oz glasses a day for sodium that was low.
                Itis now 135 from 113
                I need advice on EMPI
                I have had back surgery and use it - the belt with pre placed electrodes. I wonder if that is enough or do I need to use the single electrodes ( I have those too on front)
                I am pyridium after asking and asking for something and it is helping but not as fast
                I see some people use tums and I am using pr elief with each meal

Betty
                Last edited by biagina; 07-14-2011, 05:14 AM. Reason: forgo tto sign and spellc heck
                IC: elavil - dizziness sleeplessness
                elmiron caused headaches
                pyridium as needed
                IC 2011
                seing uro gyn
                urethal prolapse (2005) mesh removed 2011
                PT for back and for pelvic floor
                instillations

Comment

TENS unit without Rx

For those who feel up to taking this route, and need a TENS unit without a prescription:

I just wanted to mention that years ago I purchased a functional, very small TENS unit with brand new pads for about $60 at a local pawn shop. It works magnificently, has a belt clip and is the size of a pager. Very handy! (I had some extra pads from another electrostim device I had, too.) The unit I have is American Pain Control Center (APCC) brand; they are based in New Jeresey.

So if you feel up to the adventure, you may be able to find one there, too! (and they just sold it to me, no problem). I began using it for back pain, but I am glad to still have it for my abdominal pain.

(p.s. - I am not familiar with the legal ramifications of selling/purchasing medical devices via pawn shops, but seems to me that profit is their only concern, and pain relief is ours! I just wanted to mention the idea for those who want to look. Do test it out before purchasing. I think the pawn shop didn't know what it was, to be honest, but that can happen anywhere.) Good luck!
                  Last edited by Tala; 07-21-2011, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I have been using my TENS for many years; the way my physical therapist ( and many articles I have read) describe it, you can indeed place the pads "diagnonally", with one pad over the area you want it to cover and the other electrode diagonally on the back (as in one on left front abdomen, one on the right rear lower back/hip area, and the other pair right front and left rear). I have used it that way and gotten good results, but ymmv so try it both ways and see what feels better.

The idea described to me is that electrical current flows between the connected set of two electrodes, which seems to reduce nerve pain, so having the electricity flow "through" the painful area helps most. There is a lot of reading on the subject on the web. Hope this helps!

Comment

Tens unit

Thanks Tala
                      I have been usingthe EMPI TENS UNIOT which is for the back. I do have lectrodes for the pelvic area and found guidance on how to use them.
                      I also have been studiously followingthe IC DIEt and think i am on the wayto low pain.

I now may have a UTI so that throws a wrench in it but one day at a time
                      Thanks
                      Betty
                      IC: elavil - dizziness sleeplessness
                      elmiron caused headaches
                      pyridium as needed
                      IC 2011
                      seing uro gyn
                      urethal prolapse (2005) mesh removed 2011
                      PT for back and for pelvic floor
                      instillations

Comment

I bought mine on Amazon and followed Sully's instructions. My doctor was OK with me doing that since it was the same machine as they use. It was just under $50. It does help some, but isn't a miracle cure. It seems like its a strategy, along with heating pads, pain pills, instillations and the whole range of things.

Comment

Working...
                        X