Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TENS unit

Hi Everyone,

I know there have been a TON of questions about the TENS unit. I have read through several posts, but most of them are regarding whether or not the TENS unit helps with pain. I do NOT have pain, just frequency. My physical therapist said that we could try the TENS unit to see if it helps with urinary frequency, but I opted out of trying it because of the cost. However, I did see a TENS 7000 on Overstock.com for a good price. I was thinking about purchasing it. Before I do I wanted to see how many people have used it for urinary frequency and what kind of results they had. I've also read online that the TENS helps with incontinence and strengthens muscles. I don't need mine strengthened. I need them relaxed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Paula

Originally posted by Pkgrant79 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I know there have been a TON of questions about the TENS unit. I have read through several posts, but most of them are regarding whether or not the TENS unit helps with pain. I do NOT have pain, just frequency. My physical therapist said that we could try the TENS unit to see if it helps with urinary frequency, but I opted out of trying it because of the cost. However, I did see a TENS 7000 on Overstock.com for a good price. I was thinking about purchasing it. Before I do I wanted to see how many people have used it for urinary frequency and what kind of results they had. I've also read online that the TENS helps with incontinence and strengthens muscles. I don't need mine strengthened. I need them relaxed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Paula
    I'm bumping this! my mom is a chronic pain patient and has one! If anyone's had any results as far as frequency, please let us know!

Thanks!!

Comment

Some people are really helped by TENS units. I bought mine for about $150 so they're not hugely expensive. You "might" be able to lease/borrow one from a PT to see if it helps before investing in one. I used it for shoulder pain and it was very effective for that.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I would definately trial it before buying. I work at a therapy dept and borrowed ours until I knew it was helpful to me and now I am renting one. I use it for pain as that is my biggest symptom but I have frequency too. Although it doesn't eliminate frequency really the buzzing sensation it gives off distracts me from the urgy feeling I get while the unit it on. I would ask if they could let you trial it at your PT office before buying.
        Diagnosed with IC 2008 via in office cystoscopy and symptoms

Current treatments:
        -At home rescue instillations as needed
        - IC diet
        - Meds for IC: Vistaril (I have tried a TON but discontinued all but the Vistaril)

Other diagnosis - Urethral Syndrome, Vulvodynia, PFD, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, Pudendal Neuralgia (Clitoral Branch)

Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator Implanted July 31, 2013

Comment

I borrowed a TENS from a friend and am trying it, for constant pain. It does seem to be helping, more than anything else I have tried so far. I have tried to use it for at least 2 hours daily. It seems to dull the sharp, burning suprapubic pain, although it does nothing for the vulvodynia pain.

Comment

I have a tens unit for back pain, but how are you suppose to use it for this problem? Where do you put the electrode pads is what I am getting at. I am hurting so bad tonight I am willing to try anything!!!

Comment

I got my placements from the book ending female pelvic pain. For my bladder I put 4 electrodes in a semi circle from hip bone to hip bone - like a very stretched out smile face- not sure how else to describe it. Just move it until you feel relief.
              Diagnosed with IC 2008 via in office cystoscopy and symptoms

Current treatments:
              -At home rescue instillations as needed
              - IC diet
              - Meds for IC: Vistaril (I have tried a TON but discontinued all but the Vistaril)

Other diagnosis - Urethral Syndrome, Vulvodynia, PFD, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, Pudendal Neuralgia (Clitoral Branch)

Boston Scientific Spinal Cord Stimulator Implanted July 31, 2013

Comment

Re: TENS unit

So excited to see your post about helping the bladder, Mary381! I just got my TENS unit yesterday, and so far the placement options my PT gave me seem to be stimulating the bladder (frequency and burning), and not helping at all! And I have that book a well, so thanks and wish me luck!

Comment

Re: TENS unit

I got my TENS Unit one month ago. Generally speaking, it really eases the pain and gives some relief to muscle sore. Just like a painkiller or a good massage. But exercise is a must in my opinion. It is not enough standalone.
                  Last edited by ICNDonna; 10-20-2017, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X