Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone tried and found benefit from TENS units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone tried and found benefit from TENS units?

Hello,

why do I not find any posts related to the use of TENS devices for the treatment of IC pain?

Thank you,

K
    2001 first UTI. Symptoms (mainly burning pee) never really disappear
    2001 - 2009 symptoms of UTI with varying results of lab tests. For the first 2-4 years, diff. bacteria cultured at different times.
    2004 - 2008 no more bacteria found in urine. Symptoms (burning pee, burning after sex, burning uretra after peeing) persist.
    Jan 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy. IC confirmed. Post-operation complications: pain, symptoms of full blown UTI.
    Jan - March 2009 lab results: Strep-Agalactie, then e-coli (about 3 wks later), then Strep Veridians, then e-coli, then Enteroccocus Faecalis, .... eventually, fed up, I give up on prescribed antibiotics and travel far away ...
    I killed the bacteria through natural means and have chosen to use dietary supplements, rather than medications, ever since. The 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention made my symptoms permanently worse. Whereas before the procedure, my "IC" was a nuisance, that did not significantly affect my every day life, after the procedure I started experiencing previously unknown bladder pain, started waking up at night many times with pain and burning, and sex, previously a source of great pleasure has become painful. All this has had a devastating effect on my life in general: on my sleep, my work, my romantic and sexual life, my social life and my perception of myself.
    I have however many good days and overall, my IC is stable and manageable without medications.

Re: has anyone tried and found benefit from TENS units?

There are many posts regarding the use of a TENS unit for IC. Go the the upper right hand corner of this page (Advanced Search) and type in TENS unit.

While I was undergoing Pelvic Floor therapy, I bought a TENS unit at the suggestion of my therapist. I haven't used it in a while but when I was using it, it helped sometimes. They're not expensive so I'd say if a doctor or therapist suggested it, I'd give it a try. But don't buy one on your own without instruction by a professional.

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
    Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

Thank you, LoriSue. I would definitely like to buy one. Why do you say that I should not buy one on my own? I live in the Czech Republic and TENS units are not widely used here, so I do not have anyone to ask about this. I was going to simply buy one off the internet ...
      2001 - 2009 symptoms of UTI with varying results of lab tests. For the first 2-4 years, diff. bacteria cultured at different times.
      2004 - 2008 no more bacteria found in urine. Symptoms (burning pee, burning after sex, burning uretra after peeing) persist.
      Jan 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy. IC confirmed. Post-operation complications: pain, symptoms of full blown UTI.
      Jan - March 2009 lab results: Strep-Agalactie, then e-coli (about 3 wks later), then Strep Veridians, then e-coli, then Enteroccocus Faecalis, .... eventually, fed up, I give up on prescribed antibiotics and travel far away ...
      I killed the bacteria through natural means and have chosen to use dietary supplements, rather than medications, ever since. The 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention made my symptoms permanently worse. Whereas before the procedure, my "IC" was a nuisance, that did not significantly affect my every day life, after the procedure I started experiencing previously unknown bladder pain, started waking up at night many times with pain and burning, and sex, previously a source of great pleasure has become painful. All this has had a devastating effect on my life in general: on my sleep, my work, my romantic and sexual life, my social life and my perception of myself.
      I have however many good days and overall, my IC is stable and manageable without medications.

Comment

The TENS unit is safe, when properly used. My physical therapist told me not to use it until I had brought it in to therapy and she showed me proper placement of the electrodes. Maybe you can find something on the internet that shows you the proper usage for someone with IC.

Good luck.

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
        Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't. for me it mostly depends on how bad things are when i use it. if i catch the signs early enough and do it right away it helps. but please make sure you get help on where to put the electrodes. placing them wrong can do more harm than good. i bought mine off the internet because my insurance wouldn't cover it but my doc was able to get me in to see a therapist.

Comment

TENS units are usually safe IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, ESPECIALLY THE PRECAUTIONS. I have one that I got when I had a frozen shoulder and it definitely helped with the pain. I haven't used it for bladder pain, but I know some people do and some are helped. A physical therapist should be able to offer you some guidance in placing the electrodes.

I do think it would be a good idea to check in with your doctor as well.

Sending encouraging hugs,
            Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thank you all for your help! I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find someone in the Czech Republic, who is experienced in using TENS machines. The physiotherapists here are used to all kinds of electrotherapy and they say their machines have TENS currents on them, amongst many others, but noone has heard of patients using small portable TENS machines to treat neuropathic pain. I feel this country is so backward in many respects . Can anzone here give me a contact for a friendly phisiotherapist anywhere, who could talk to me about the machine and explain to me how to use it correctly? Perhaps there is a document I can download which takes me through the dos and don'ts step by step.

Also, I have a question: can TENS help with the burning kind of IC? For it's the burning that bothers me more than anything .. waking me up and letting me stay up throughout the night.

Thank you so much for your assistance all! Really, this forum is just such a helpline for those without access to proper care ..

Best wishes and Happy 2014 by the way!

Comment

Working...
              X