Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can TENS device help with the burning kind of IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can TENS device help with the burning kind of IC?

Hello, I have asked this question before but never received a reply. I am considering buying a TENS device but I won't, if it cannot help me with my main symptom: burning. I wake up in the middle of the night with burning bladder/urine, and the burn stays with me for a couple of hours, sometimes more. Can TENS help me with the burn? Please advise.
    2001 first UTI. Symptoms (mainly burning pee) never really disappear
    2001 - 2009 symptoms of UTI with varying results of lab tests. For the first 2-4 years, diff. bacteria cultured at different times.
    2004 - 2008 no more bacteria found in urine. Symptoms (burning pee, burning after sex, burning uretra after peeing) persist.
    Jan 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy. IC confirmed. Post-operation complications: pain, symptoms of full blown UTI.
    Jan - March 2009 lab results: Strep-Agalactie, then e-coli (about 3 wks later), then Strep Veridians, then e-coli, then Enteroccocus Faecalis, .... eventually, fed up, I give up on prescribed antibiotics and travel far away ...
    I killed the bacteria through natural means and have chosen to use dietary supplements, rather than medications, ever since. The 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention made my symptoms permanently worse. Whereas before the procedure, my "IC" was a nuisance, that did not significantly affect my every day life, after the procedure I started experiencing previously unknown bladder pain, started waking up at night many times with pain and burning, and sex, previously a source of great pleasure has become painful. All this has had a devastating effect on my life in general: on my sleep, my work, my romantic and sexual life, my social life and my perception of myself.
    I have however many good days and overall, my IC is stable and manageable without medications.

Re: can TENS device help with the burning kind of IC?

trying to send you a message but your mailbox is full.

Comment

hello bj, I've just emptied it. Looking forward to receiving your message. Thank you.
      2001 first UTI. Symptoms (mainly burning pee) never really disappear
      2001 - 2009 symptoms of UTI with varying results of lab tests. For the first 2-4 years, diff. bacteria cultured at different times.
      2004 - 2008 no more bacteria found in urine. Symptoms (burning pee, burning after sex, burning uretra after peeing) persist.
      Jan 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy. IC confirmed. Post-operation complications: pain, symptoms of full blown UTI.
      Jan - March 2009 lab results: Strep-Agalactie, then e-coli (about 3 wks later), then Strep Veridians, then e-coli, then Enteroccocus Faecalis, .... eventually, fed up, I give up on prescribed antibiotics and travel far away ...
      I killed the bacteria through natural means and have chosen to use dietary supplements, rather than medications, ever since. The 2009 Cystoscopy with hydrodistention made my symptoms permanently worse. Whereas before the procedure, my "IC" was a nuisance, that did not significantly affect my every day life, after the procedure I started experiencing previously unknown bladder pain, started waking up at night many times with pain and burning, and sex, previously a source of great pleasure has become painful. All this has had a devastating effect on my life in general: on my sleep, my work, my romantic and sexual life, my social life and my perception of myself.
      I have however many good days and overall, my IC is stable and manageable without medications.

Comment

I would call around to local PT offices and see if you can try one out first. I tried one years ago and it did not help although burning has never been an issue for me.
        The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
        First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
        Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
        Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
        Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
        BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Working...
        X