Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Insurance Paid for an at-home Portable TENS Unit

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to report this in case it might help someone else.

My insurance approved and paid for an at-home portable TENS unit. Because I've hit my max out-of-pocket for the year, it was covered 100%.

I'd had one years ago when first diagnosed, but it finally conked out and I didn't get a new one. This new one is so cool, they've come a long way w/the portable units. It has lots of settings options etc. The pads are nice and large just like the big units used in a Dr.'s office.

My pelvic floor p.t. department handled calling insurance for me, and I had it within 2 weeks! My Dr. simply had to fax a prescription to them for TENS unit with the diagnosis as to why. (IC/Fibro/Chronic pain etc.)

Having it is heaven. I'm so grateful for it.

If anyone reading this is interested ..... it's definitely worth asking your insurance company if they will cover some ..... or a portion of a TENS unit for you.

Sidenote: TENS units are also sold online, but the kind your insurance will send boasts prescription-strength pulse rates.
    Last edited by jeanniebug; 09-24-2015, 01:29 PM.
    Jeannie
    "She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails." -Unkown

IBS/Endometriosis/Prolasped Uterus/CFS, ME/Fibromyalgia/Refractory IC/Celiac Disease/Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction (Immune System issues) B12, Vit D deficiencies

Many surgeries over the years, mainly: Total hysterectomy/Gallbladder & Thyroid removed

Treatments: Tried all except Interstim, Botox injections and bladder removal. I've never been in remission.

Daily-Prednisone steroid down to 3mg long-term, Demerol 50mg, Diazepam 2mg
    As needed-Home TENS unit, AZO Standard, Marshmallow Root Capsules, D Mannose powder, Prelief. STRICT IC DIET or I'm bed ridden. I'm under the care of a Pain Management Clinic.

Was on SS Disability for IC 2004-2006. Back to work 10 years. Annnnd-My bod gave out. Back on Disability as of Aug 2016. WE NEED A CURE!!

Re: My Insurance Paid for an at-home Portable TENS Unit

Hi, Jeannie. I'm new to forum. My wife has IC/pelvic floor disfunction and we're thinking about using a TENS unit. She got some relief from a small hand sized device last night, but I'd like to find her a better machine.

What kind of unit are you using? Have you heard anything about the IF 3Wave device?

Thanks.

Mark

Comment

Re: My Insurance Paid for an at-home Portable TENS Unit

Hi Mark,

First off I'm so sorry for the very delayed reply. I've been in an epic flare the past 10 days and it's had me out of commission.

The brand TENS unit I have is called "Empi Select." It's good, and I'm grateful my insurance paid for it last year. However to be honest, I had a different one about a decade ago that was much better. I find the pulse strength seems a bit weaker than I like, that said I can take a HUGE amount of pulse strength. I'll be using this one till it wears out. The next one I get I will purchase one on amazon.com. There are TENS units available on Amazon that get great reviews. I will choose one of those. Mainly because, I received a letter from my insurance they've discontinued this TENS unit, so I can't order replacement sticky pads for it etc. It is more a convenience issue than anything else. TENS units on Amazon are priced very close to what insurance would have charged me, and many of the units available are small and portable like the one they sent me.

I'd hit my "max out of pocket" last year in coverage, which is the only reason mine did not cost me at that time. I've heard of the IF 3Wave device, but have not researched it yet. If your wife uses that and loves it, please reply and let us know!

Sending warm healing thoughts to you and your wife!
      Jeannie
      "She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails." -Unkown

IBS/Endometriosis/Prolasped Uterus/CFS, ME/Fibromyalgia/Refractory IC/Celiac Disease/Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction (Immune System issues) B12, Vit D deficiencies

Many surgeries over the years, mainly: Total hysterectomy/Gallbladder & Thyroid removed

Treatments: Tried all except Interstim, Botox injections and bladder removal. I've never been in remission.

Daily-Prednisone steroid down to 3mg long-term, Demerol 50mg, Diazepam 2mg
      As needed-Home TENS unit, AZO Standard, Marshmallow Root Capsules, D Mannose powder, Prelief. STRICT IC DIET or I'm bed ridden. I'm under the care of a Pain Management Clinic.

Was on SS Disability for IC 2004-2006. Back to work 10 years. Annnnd-My bod gave out. Back on Disability as of Aug 2016. WE NEED A CURE!!

Comment

Working...
      X