Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melatonin

Hi,

I'm a 39 year old man. I was diagnosed with IC by cyctoscopy at age 19. To say that IC has affected my life would an understatement. It affected my personality, career decisions I have made, personal realtionships, etc. But I view myself as a lucky one because I have been able to live somewhat of a normal life on oral medication alone. I currently take 25 mg of Elavil. At times I've taken none, other times I've been up to as much as 75 mg, but mostly I've been at that dosage for a long time.

Recently, I started to take Melatonin to help with sleep. I noticed a significant improvement in my IC symptoms. For example, although I really don't drink coffee, sometimes I will and regret it. If I drink a small coffee and nothing else in the morning within 2 hours I may have to urinate 3 times, possibly more. Since starting on melatonin, that number reduces to once in 2 hours.

I have background in medicine, and I understand how to read the medical literature. Upon making this discovery, I searched the literature and found references like this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21842719

There are others, but not a lot of research. In short, and without going into too much detail, I think this improvement from melatonin is real and not chance or due to something else. I don't think it's the result of improving my sleep patterns alone, either, I think it has to do with the effect the hormone has on the bladder itself (although that's likely difficult to tease out). I experimented and stopped the Elavil for a couple days and went with melatonin alone and that did not go well, but I will try it again with a higher dose of melatonin (I currently take 1 mg of sublingual melatonin nightly).

Anyway, the bottom line is that I think melatonin can really help people and so I wanted to post it here. Perhaps many of you know this already. Either way, I hope this helps someone.

Re: Melatonin

to the IC Network!

Have you looked at the AUA Guidelines for Treatment? There's a link in my signature below. I think it's good that you are researching --- and I encourage you to let your doctor know of any options you try.

Sending healing thoughts,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
      to the IC Network!

Have you looked at the AUA Guidelines for Treatment? There's a link in my signature below. I think it's good that you are researching --- and I encourage you to let your doctor know of any options you try.

Sending healing thoughts,
      Donna
      I don't say this often on the internet. But I actually am a physician. I'm an internest, not a urologist, but I thoroughly understand all the drugs and techniques used to treat IC.

Just throwing this out there in case it could help anyone.

Comment

I tried taking a small dose of melatonin (for my migraines) several months ago. Within about 3 days of taking it, I started to notice my bladder was not happy. I didn't make any correlation, so I kept taking it. By the end of the week, I was in a full blown flare. I did real that melatonin seems to help some people, but for me, it was the opposite. My IC is VERY hormonally related, and I agree with you, melatonin does affect out hormones and for some it may work, but for others, it is a trigger.

I stopped the melatonin when I started to realize it was probably causing the flare. I was in a flare for about 6 weeks, but I am better now. I hope it continues to help you!!
        Jane
        Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
        10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
        Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
        Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
        Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Comment

Originally posted by my2boys99 View Post
          I tried taking a small dose of melatonin (for my migraines) several months ago. Within about 3 days of taking it, I started to notice my bladder was not happy. I didn't make any correlation, so I kept taking it. By the end of the week, I was in a full blown flare. I did real that melatonin seems to help some people, but for me, it was the opposite. My IC is VERY hormonally related, and I agree with you, melatonin does affect out hormones and for some it may work, but for others, it is a trigger.

I stopped the melatonin when I started to realize it was probably causing the flare. I was in a flare for about 6 weeks, but I am better now. I hope it continues to help you!!

It's certinly possible it caused your flair. The condition likely has heterogenius causes and therefore therapies do not work universally for all patients. But it's possible your migraine initiated the flair too, no?

Anyway, good luck!

Comment

I don't think so because I have migraines all the time, unfortunately. Have had them my whole life.

I wish the same therapies worked for everyone. It would making treating IC so much easier! :-)
            Jane
            Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
            10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
            Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
            Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
            Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Comment

Melatonin gives me nightmares and very vivid dreams. I don't feel it helps me sleep at all.

I have never been able to take it long enough to know if it flares me or not.
              My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Thank you for the source!

Originally posted by nekko377 View Post
                I have background in medicine, and I understand how to read the medical literature. Upon making this discovery, I searched the literature and found references like this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21842719

There are others, but not a lot of research. In short, and without going into too much detail, I think this improvement from melatonin is real and not chance or due to something else. I don't think it's the result of improving my sleep patterns alone, either, I think it has to do with the effect the hormone has on the bladder itself (although that's likely difficult to tease out). I experimented and stopped the Elavil for a couple days and went with melatonin alone and that did not go well, but I will try it again with a higher dose of melatonin (I currently take 1 mg of sublingual melatonin nightly).

Anyway, the bottom line is that I think melatonin can really help people and so I wanted to post it here. Perhaps many of you know this already. Either way, I hope this helps someone.

Comment

I've been trying to figure out my flaring and I googled melatonin (seems it helps rats) and looked on the ICN and I see differing reactions. I've been trying 3 mg. a night for sleep and also because there is a recent study that it helps osteoporosis which I also have. I'll have to stop it and see if I improve and then re-start and see if it gets worse in order to prove what's going on. I'm just not sure. We are so lucky to have the ICN to talk to others about what we try.
                  I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

Working...
                  X