Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going off Elavil

For anyone who has stopped Elavil:

Did you notice any kind of sleep problems after going off this med?
    I haven't taken it since Christmas. But I've never had sleep problems before.
    I mean I'm getting 5 hours tops at night. And can't even take a nap during the day.
    I'm really becoming a grouch!
    Hopefully some of you guys have an idea???
    Thanks! hi
    Tons of support,
    Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Do you have Fibromyalgia? I can't sleep well unless I take something.....it could just be that your body got used to it. Are you depressed? It maybe something to ask your Dr. about. Before I was put on Hydroxizine, I used to take Tylenol PM every night. It works. Good Luck
    DanaW

"Don't quit when the tide is lowest, For it's just about to turn; Don't quit over doubts and questions, For there's something you may learn."

Comment

Hi, I started to take Elavil 12.5mg a day from 11/2003. It helped a lot on my spasm, but I couldn't stop eating cause felt hungry all the time. Three days ago, I stopped taking it and found it hard to fall asleep at night. My doctor said it was ok for me to wean off Elavil like this cause 12.5mg was very low. I guess I just need to spend some days adjusting to it like the ways I started taking it. It took me about 3-5 days to get rid of the drowsy side effect.

Comment

I weaned myself off a month ago.
        I guess my system is all out of whack now??!
        I don't think I'm depressed, Dana. But I wish spring would hurry up and my son get out of the "terrible two's". (Which he just started them.)
        Oh!!! I am depressed! I gained 10 pounds while on that med!! And I had finally gotten down to my pre-pregnancy weight. And now it's shot all to heck.
        But I did it once, and I can do it again!
        Tons of support,
        Jaime

Comment

Hi, Jaime,
          I went off Elavil about a month ago and I, too, only get about 5 hours of sleep a night. It's not that I have to get up to go to the bathroom....I just can't sleep!
          Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
          Laura
          Laura in Pa.

Comment

Elavil can make you crave sweets but I dont give into it. It saved my life as far as IC is concerned.

Comment

Thanks Laura. It's really comforting to know that other people can feel like me too.

Mayray:It didn't really help me, that's why I stopped it. And I ate like a pig while taking it too. I'm glad it's working for you.

I hope everyone continues to feel better that's on elavil.

Hugs to you guys!
              Tons of support,
              Jaime

Comment

Hi Jaime,
                It will take you a while to get back your sleep. It will eventually return back. Just be patient. It always happens when you are go off antidepressants.
                My warm wishes to you,
                Olga

Comment

Hi Jaime! I have this trouble too when I try to reduce my dosage or go off of it. It is really frustrating because going to sleep is really important to being able to function during the day!!! Hang in there. Mine went away in about a week. )

Comment

Hi Jaime!

I noticed the same thing...Elavil helped me sleep (knocked me right out!) and so when I went off it, it was difficult for a while to get to sleep.

Hope you're feeling better soon sweetie

Love,
                    Alexa
                    My story of healing and hope http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/alexa.html

Comment

Working...
                    X