Neurontin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurontin

I believe I read somewhere in a post on one of these boards, that Neurontin can precipitate Cystitis.

Does anyone know how it's able to do that? Does it wear down or irritate the mucus on the bladder wall?

Thank you.

I take Neurontin for pain, I am not real sure how it works but it does help with my pain. I take a 1200mg. a day dosage.

I hope you get your answer!
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Hi there, Neurontin helps many with IC and yet a few feel their pain worsens because of taking it. I have an inquiry posted with the drug company that makes it, and as yet have not gotten a reply. This probably means they don't have the answer or it is an unusual question.

I may be one of the ones for whom the pain worsens. I haven't had the courage to give it a second try. I wish it worked because I would rather take Neurontin than trycyclics for pain. I haven't had the courage to try tricyclics again either, and I had bad luck with side effects on several tries.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Diana.

Comment

Hi,

I have started taking 300 mg of Neurotin at bedtime and twice last week I slept 4 hours straight. I am also taking less Vioxx for arthritis since starting Neurotin and having less achy pain in general.

They stated me on 100 mg at night, then 200 now 300. With each increase, I was fuzzy brained in the morning, but as the doctor assured me, that side effect went away in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Comment

I take 300mg twice a day and don't notice a thing! Although with some other meds I never knew they were working until I stopped taking them. lmao

Jen
          IC dx 1996
          Interstim 2000 removed & reimplanted 2001 & 2004
          Hunners ulcers
          urgency/frequency
          Pain

Comment

i didn't get to take neurontin long enough to know if it helped my ic or not when i first found out i had ic the doctor tried me on neurontin one at bed time for three days then i went to two a day for three days then three a day but i never got passed the two i had a hard time waking up from it it would total knock me out and when i did get up i felt like i had an hangover and got very sick.
            I'm glad it has helped many of you but just like other treatments not all work for everyone.
            frown
            Medicine taken daily or as needed:
            1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
            2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
            3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
            4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
            5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
            5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
            6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
            7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Neurontin helps me with neuropathic (nerve) pain (burning & pins & needles sensation). I hope this helps.
              Shelley

Comment

I started neurontin 300mg. 3x day 5 wks. ago. My neurologist prescribed bc migraines were constant, I was in agony and he thought it might help with all my pain. I can't take migraine med. everday, bc insurance only pays 6 doses in 30 days. Migraines were getting best of me and on top on other diseases was really horrible for me.

In the beginning I was so groggy and sleeping a lot. I'm tolerating a lot better and actually do notice a big improvement. Migraines lessened immediately, sharp stabbing pelvic pains lessened, able to pee every 1-2 hrs. instead 1/2 hr. to 1 hr.

In fact, when I saw my gastro. and uro. again they said it was a good choice and they probably would have tried next.

Therefore, I give rave reviews,
                Julie lmao

Comment

I am glad to see a post about Neurontin. My GYN prescribed it for me in January to treat some presistent vaginal iching. I don't think that it help that condition, but I noticed that it further reduced my frequency. I have been on Elmiron and hydroxyzine of about 4 years and I am doing very well. I no longer have lower back pain that must have been referred bladder pain. So, I would say that I was doing very well, but with the use of Neurontin I am like a normal person!! My GYN definently feels that it could be helping. The only problem is that the Neurontin reduces my energy level doing the day. I can only take 100 mg in the evening. So, The reason that I slept so well though the night might be due to its sedating qualities alone, but I think I see its positive effects during the day. I am hesistant to stop now because it took several weeks for me to adjust and not feel nauseated. I honestly feel that the drug must be addressing some neurological component of my IC. Are there other medicines that addresss this? Does anyone have the experience with this med to know if I might adjust more to it in time. (I had the same experience with Elmiron, but adjusted after about 3 months.) I am continuing with this in the hopes that I will adjust. My yearly appointment with my urologist is in May.

Comment

Hi Puma,

I'm on a 3200mg. dosage and that in combination with InterStim has helped. I think there must be a nerve component to IC because the InterStim stimulates the sacral nerves, and Neurontin helps with nerve pain, etc. It has helped me with IC and Fibro pain, and allows me to sleep at night. What a great med.
                    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

I started with 100mg Neurontin and slowly increased my dose to 300mg 2x/day over about a week. At first it made me feel a bit light headed. I take Elavil and Tagamet and luckily that combination makes me feel like a normal person too.
                      Shelley

Comment

Working...
                      X