No announcement yet.

Nervous about Elavil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Doctor has wanted me to try Elavil as well and I have the same concerns about weight gain. Also, are you guys on it for pain related to IC? i do not have pain persay, I only have pressure and frequency/urgency. Will the Elavil even help with that?

I have a hard enough time as it is staying in shape due to my IC and a bad back. I can't afford to gain weight but on the other hand, I can't deal with how MANY times I am going to the bathroom.

Comment

I found the following at: http://www.ichelp.org/TreatmentAndSe...pressants.html

The beneficial incidental effects of tricyclic antidepressants are:
      anticholinergic effects, meaning that these medications relax the bladder and decrease the intensity of bladder contractions, diminishing frequency by delaying the desire to urinate
      * sedative effects, caused by their antihistamine properties
      * the blockage or re-absorption of certain neurotransmitters (serotonin and noradrenaline) which cause the brain to misinterpret or ignore pain impulses

I've been taking imiprimine (50mg) for a little over a week and I've notice that I have a decreased sense of urgency and frequency, so maybe it will help you with your symptoms.

Karma, I'm sorry about your fav. pair of jeans. I can't wear them because of the PAIN they cause me. Maybe you can try a different antidepressant and not have the weight gain side effects?

Amaris

Comment

Amaris,

You say your are on 50mg of imipramine.. have you noticed weight gain side effects on it.. what were you on before.. i to am on imipramine...25 mg.. I am afraid to take 50
        Healing thoughts

Bea

Comment

Bea,
          My doc started me on 50mg, so I've never had a lower dose. I haven't noticed anything with weight gain, but don't know if that would take longer to show up (I've only been taking it for 1 and 1/2 weeks)? I guess I should step on the scale. Before I started the imipramine, I was only taking Elmiron.
          I was looking at the drug info that the pharmacy printed out for the imipramine and it says that weight loss may be a side effect, nothing about weight gain. I don't know if this is something unique to imipramine?
          I'm a small gal (5' 90lbs.), but don't feel that the 50mg is too much for me. Based on some reading I've done, I know that this dose is lower than what is given to children to help with bed wetting. So for now I'm not going to worry too much about weight gain side effect because I am definitely noticing an improvement in symptoms (frequency and urgency).
          I'll keep you posted, though.

Amaris

Comment

Amaris,

Thanks so much for the info.. I am not to concerned about gaining some weight, I just don't want to gain a whole lot you know...

I will talk to my doc about going on 50mg... so far I don't think the 25 is doing enough...

Are you still on elmiron.?
            Healing thoughts

Bea

Comment

still on elmiron 2 100mg twice a day.
              amaris

Comment

Hi guys. I started on elvail back in 2001 I took it for about a year I went from 120 to 165 pounds during that time. I took it for IC and for migraines. I quit it because I was totally miserable with my weight, I guess a vane thing to say...After I quit It has taken until the last 6 months for the weight to start finally falling off. I am down to around 138. this medicine I can for sure live with out. Not only do I have IC, migraines allergies and numerous other things to deal with I had a self image problem. I for one do not like this medicine. SORRY guys that it has helped. But everyone is different. Best of luck
                Patricia

Comment

Hello Everyone!
                  My Uro prescribed 50mg doses of Elavil. I have been on it for 6 days. It does control the pain, but when I get near the end of the dose, late in the evening some of my pain returns. I found that keeping still and using Aloe Vera gel is helpful.
                  I can't address the weight gain issue since I haven't been on it for very long. I hope I don't gain weight!
                  I feel very groggy in the morning and its hard to get up, but I do
                  get up and go to work. I feel dopey until around 1pm when the Elavil starts to wear off a bit. I wonder if my dosage is too high??

Comment

I have tried both imipramine and Elavil. I was started 25 imipramine a day and increased to 50 mg a day. It helped a lot with the pain and frequency. However, I was not able to tolerate the side effects which meant dizziness, heart palpitation and sensitivity to light. I didn't gain any weight on it. I remembered one time, I was sitting on the subway and stood up too quickly and I almost fainted. I told my dr and he switched me to Elavil.

I only tried Elavil for 3 months. I was able to tolerate Elavil better than imipramine. I was on 25mg Elavil and it helped so good on my pain and fequency. However, the constipation was awful so I needed to take stool softner. Besides, I didn't have the will power to control my food intake and gained around 10 pounds in 3 months. I think it is possible to monitor the weight while on Elavil, but one has to be very conscious. I could tell the craving for sweet was coming, but still gave in.

I didn't eat more than before while on Elavil, but didn't cut my junk food intake either. My dr said Elavil slowed down my metabolism and that was why I put on weight.

Good luck to those who want to try Elavil. It may be the answer.

Comment

I have been on Elavil for over 2 years now. I take 10mg a day, and 20mg once in a while when in a flare. I am also on BC pills and have not gained any weight.

Good luck to you,
                      Lyn

Comment

I'm happy to report that I FINALLY got something for this pain and I hope it works. Dr. prescribed 25 mg of Elavil.

What was very weird is that when I told him I really needed something for pain, he asked ME what I wanted? It was as though he really didn't know what to prescribe. The last time he had me try lidocaine 2 percent, and that was because I asked if I could try it. It didn't do much for the burning, however.

My symptom is primarily burning which feels both inside and outside., with some lower pelvic pressure. I had him check me for vulvodynia too and he really didn't seem to know about that either, but I knew from reading that Elavil can be used to help both problems.

After reading here, it seems that everyone is at a different mg amount. Should I try cutting the 25mg in half first to see how it works? I also get constipated easily, so I suppose I need to get something for that. Maybe double my flaxseeds!
                        Connie

Comment

I am happy that you are getting some meds! My Uro gave me 50mg and I asked if it was too much. He said that I could experiment with it and take 25mg if I want to ease my way into the medication, but he recommended to stay on 50mg. After about 2 weeks now, the drowsiness is only in the morning when I get up. And I am starting to get my life back!!!

Comment

I just started taking 40 mg yesterday. I still hope I don't gain any weight from it. But...because of avoiding IC bad foods I don't drink anything but water...and don't eat junk foody things anymore. No more chocolate and if I start eating something sweet...I wonder if it's the drugs or just me. I've been weighing myself everday for since I've started taking the 10mg of Elavil. So far soo good. I should still eat much more vegetables.

Now I'm just worried about the 40mg.

Haven't yet started my exercise program...gonna buy a video today. But...I have noticed I've been able to go out much more than before. I'm also taking Ovcon 35 and some Prelief tablets...at least 2 a day. That seems to help.
                            As for being constipated...I get that sometimes. I just make sure I have some bran cereal in the morning. That helps me.
                            My meds:
                            Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
                            Hydroxyzine 25mg 1-3x a day depending on allergy seasons
                            Elavil (generic) 40mg 1x a day
                            Ditropan XL 10 mg 1x a day
                            Ovcon 35 (for birth control)

Comment

Just a thought

In my experience 40 mg is still a pretty low dose--and while everyone is different and should follow the prescribing doctor's advice I don't think you'll blimp up within days. I would caution you about weighing yourself everyday. Your weight can fluctuate based on water retention, the weather, etc and could start a bad trend for ya. I would go by how your clothes fit and maybe(if you need to) weigh yourself every week or two. Not meant to be from a soap box, just my two cents from a few years around nursing.

Hugs and a
                              Barb
                              (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
                              :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
                              :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
                              I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
                              PCOS 7/85
                              RSD 7/94 :headbang:
                              Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
                              Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
                              Kidney stones--too many to count
                              Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
                              IC 6/03 :evilsmile
                              Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
                              "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
                              "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

How do you feel when your meds are successful?

Hi everyone!
                                I am going to see my Uro Gyn this week for a follow up to how my meds are going and I had a few questions for everyone.
                                I'm currently on the 5th day of taking 40mg of Amitriptyline and am still feeling some discomfort...like frequency. Especially yesterday. I certainly don't feel like I was when I didn't have IC.
                                But, my question is are you supposed to feel that good. As good as if you never even had IC? I'm not sure if I'm feeling frequency because the meds aren't working for me or if I'm just feeling discomfort because I've eating bad IC food. Which I know that I did.
                                Can anyone give me any feedback? I don't know if I need to ask the doctor to increase my dose or to change my meds. Plus...I don't know if feeling like I did when I didn't have IC is even a realistic feeling. I am able to do more things and feel a bit better. But, I know I don't feel 100%. There's still an inkling of frequency.
                                Do you still feel good on your meds even if you've eaten something bad?
                                I hope to hear back from you all.
                                Thanks
                                My meds:
                                Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
                                Hydroxyzine 25mg 1-3x a day depending on allergy seasons
                                Elavil (generic) 40mg 1x a day
                                Ditropan XL 10 mg 1x a day
                                Ovcon 35 (for birth control)

Comment

Working...
                                X