Can't do Cymbalta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't do Cymbalta

Well that's it. I tried Cymbalta again for the 2nd time and I just can't do it. It was alright at first, but as the day progressed I started to feel more and more weird. I was exhausted, but couldn't sleep all at the same time, and to make matters worse I flared, and had the had to pee, but couldn't problem. On top of it I was so nauseous I almost threw up. I ate something questionable yesterday (possibly IC unfriendly), but still wouldn't want to go through that uncomfortable feeling again. I just felt too weird, and this is the second time. My doctor says I'm not giving it a chance, but how can one give anything a chance that makes them feel that bad? I'm tired of feeling like I"m not behaving medically when I can't do a pill I'm prescribed. Not to mention I'm afraid I won't be able to tolerate anything for the pain. Tylenol works, but then I flare, it's crazy. I was really trying to avoid taking Elavil, but I don't think I have a choice anymore. Wish me luck, and a few prayers wouldn't hurt either. Thanks for listening.

Cymbalta, etc.

I, too, am very sensitive to antidepressants, pain-blockers (such as Elavil) and antihistamines. The antidepressants and pain-(nerve)blockers not only make me feel like I'm going to throw up all day long, they also cause numbness in my face and tremors. I hate them. The Elavil and similar meds make me sick and drowsy all day long. I also had a bad reaction to Lyrica (which is supposed to have less side effects than Elavil). The night after I took 1 dose, I woke up shaking....as my husband put it "like a Parkinson's sufferer". It took 2 days for it to wear off and the shaking to stop. I have epilepsy, so my doctors said..stay away from it. Back to the Cymbalta,...I couldn't wait for it to be flushed out of my system and I'd only taken 1 capsule. I hate that feeling!!! Why can't they make one that doesn't cause nausea, etc.. I think if people could get past that, they would be able to take it and reap it's benefits. I told my doctor the only way I could ever try something like that again, is if they could sedate me for a week and make sure I wouldn't have to stand up during that time. I feel YUK just thinking about the whole range of those meds I've tried. You name 'em, I've tried 'em!
    Anyway, I fully understand!!!
    Dani

-Bladder surgery to correct reflux-'68
    -Terribly painful periods, [email protected] 13 (most likely due to endometriosis, no dx then)
    -4 gyn surgeries since 2003 to remove cysts, ovaries, endometriosis and uterus
    -DX'd w/I.C. before 3rd gyn surgery, but sure I've had it since childhood
    -Gastrointestinal allergies to nuts and shellfish - {I would like to know if there is some connection of gastro allergies to I.C.?}
    PTSD (sexual abuse by teenage boy when I was 4 and s. abuse by adult male who was friend of my Dad's - my parents still don't know)
    -DX'd with IBS in 2000
    -Rhabdomyolysis in 2001 (has not returned)
    -DX'd with Eosinophilic Esophagitis (Asthma of the Esophagus) 3/07
    -DX'd with TMJ in 2000-wear splint
    -Hydrodistention and Cystoscopy w/ biopsy of tissue in bladder-2003
    -DX'd with Epilepsy -2000
    -SSS (Selective Sound Sensitivity)-wear earplugs most of the time to screen out certain noises
    -DX'd with Fibromyalgia (2006)

Medications:MS [email protected],Hydrocodone-10/650:up to 4day,Levothyroxine,Soma,Clonazepam,Vesicare,Keppra (anti-seizure),Flovent FHA 220mcg (swallowed for E.E.),Elmiron,Instillations-5+per week for flares,Lidocaine,Cysta-Q,Prelief, Dulcolax,Baby Aspirin(for FM),God blessed me w/2 boys: Devin-14 and Logan-9, Jim, my husband of 18+ years who sort of understands what I.C. is...still working on educating him!, my springer spaniel "Wookie" ('cause he makes sounds like 'Chewbacca' from "Star Wars" when my son plays with him) and the most important 'medicine' of all...PRAYER...because ONLY God knows the answer to why we are all going through this awful I.C.!

Comment

Im so sorry Glassd that it didnt help you, but what I have learned on here is we are all different and some people can tolarate some meds when others cannot..
      I take Cymbalta and Elavil, The Elavil makes me really tired thats why I take it at night..
      But they both have helped me so much, sorry you didnt have the same luck..
      Hugs
      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Thanks Rhonda and Dani,

I haven't tried the Elavil yet so I'm going to give it a shot. The weird thing about this is that I was on antidepressants quite a few years ago, and I do not remember being so sensitive to them. Maybe my metabolism has changed. In the meantime I'll keep trying things until I find something I can tolerate---I hope.

Comment

Count me in for not being able to take Cymbalta. I took one pill and threw up within hours, then was sick for a few days afterwards. My doctor had given me samples and I gave them back to him! I also can not take Elavil or thos types of anti depressants. When I take them it makes me want to crawl out of my skin- ugh what a horrible feeling!

Comment

I also could not stomach Cymbalta. I had such high hopes it would work, but after two days, I said no more. I did throw up and couldn't move from the couch or bed. Elavil doesn't do that to me. Plus it is cheaper.

Comment

I have this to try. But got the scrip the day my dad passed and I was afraid to take it because of the tiredness while getting used to it. I then was put on 30 xanax do to going for 4 days with no sleep during after his death. I am still not sleeping well at night now, have nightmares and stuff. I am hoping this helps as Elvail caused me to much weight gain and on Thurs I am having my InterStim removed so I do hope it will help me.
              God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
              www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
              Interstim Sept 2001
              1st InterStim Removal May 2005
              2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
              2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
              Hysterectomy 1999
              Tubes Tied 1997
              C-Section 1996