No announcement yet.

Cymbalta...do you take it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had skipped some days of Elavil because of being hungry; then took 5 mg on Saturday night, felt great on Sunday from my bladder except that I was so sleepy Sunday and had to take a nap.
    bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

Just started Cymbalta last week, still very sleepy during the day especially afternoons(I take it in the morning) Started on 20 mg and am suppose to up it every 2 weeks until I hit 60 mg. It's weird though I am tired throughout the day and seem to fall asleep okay but every night I have been waking up between 2-4 and then can't go back to sleep for several hours. Hoping that will resolve itself soon. It is suppose to help with anxiety but that has increased for me since I started it too~full blown panic attacks. It has decreased my appetite a little where when I took Elavil in the past I was hungry all the time and increasingly gained weight (due to medical history of diabetes and heart disease I elected to come off it). I haven't been able to get any type of continued pain relief since so when I read about Cymbalta I thought it might be a good alternative. Too early to tell though. I hope you do well on it.

~lenee

Comment

Again, many thanks...

to all who have responded....You all are really great!
        I went to my PCP who denied my request...good grief...I love my PCP, but sometimes we just don't agree, and i have to make concessions...altho she was very receptive to the idea of just seeing her...I don't want to see her staff anymore (RN's and such). They've been difficult to deal with and its more difficult when the staff keeps at a rapid turnover rate...ugh...sorry back to the main story.

I ended up seeing my Uro yesterday and lo and behold I got the Rx for Cymbalta (and Sanctura). Usually she's the one who needs convincing, and its like pulling teeth from a baby....just ain't gonna happen sometimes...but it worked out in my favor this time yipppppeeeee! So I'll have to post back, and let you know how I do after a couple weeks or so.

Thanks!!!
        y.
        Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

Yvette,
          I hope you have good results with cymbalta like I have
          Keep us posted..
          Hugs
          Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
          http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
          http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
          Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
          Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
          Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
          Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Cymbalta Withdrawal

I have been on Cymbalta for 11 months now. At the 5 month mark I decided Cymbalta was not working for me and wanted to stop it. I tried and tried but the withdrawal was horrible. I don't know how I am going to get off this med. I can go 2 nights without taking it and the 3rd day is horrible. I am only at 30mg I never went up to 60mg b/c I was already having trouble stopping at 30. I don't want to scare anyone in to not taking it but just for me I still have not weaned off of it yet.

Comment

Hi Toby75, Please don't be afraid of scaring anyone...so please share.

What specifically is problematic for you...you mentioned withdrawal was difficult...is it that emotionally feel awful, physically or both?

If you don't want to share that's fine too, k?
              Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

Yvette

Yvette

The withdrawal feeling I am talking about is extreme anxiety, dizziness, overall body ache and pain, the feeling that something just doesnt feel right mentally, feel locked in a deep fog, scared of what might happen next if you do not get the med in your system asap.

Your body just has extreme feelings of something bad is happening if that makes sense. As soon as you dose again, a couple hours later all those above feelings vanish. It's similar in a way to opiate withdrawal, when you stop taking your daily pain meds, ie oxycontin, lortabs, mscontin.

Being Cymbalta comes in capsules it's hard to lower your dose effectively, so thats one reason why I am having trouble. They make a 20mg dose but it's still not small enough. Doc says to take beads out of capsule and take half, but the beads are meant to be metabolized at different stages during the 24 hr period, so I don't see how that works?

Thanks
                Amy

Comment

I know when I was taking celexa...I had tried drugs before that, they just didn't work for me either. I've been told anti-depressants can involve a lot of trial and error before you find the right one for you. I overlapped drugs when I was *searching * for the right one. I'm wondering if overlapping drugs might work for you (unless you're already doing this)

in other words maybe put one a small dose of another drug, while you wean off the cymbalta....maybe that way you won't be cut off trying to quit and the other drug could buffer the withdrawl you're having.

I hope somebody can help you...that just sounds awful. there's no reason to suffer like that.
                  hugs,
                  y.

Comment

Good Idea Yvette! Maybe taking another antidepressant known for less w/d symptoms would be something to go onto and then taper off that one!

Have you ever had w/ds from any AD?

Comment

Lenee

Lenee

In your post you said that you take cymbalta in the mornings and get very tired. When I first started cymbalta I took it in the morning and it knocked me out. I had to leave work a few times b/c I was falling asleep at my desk. I switched to taking it at night and it helped me sleep and I was not tired the next day. This side effect will wear off soon. I don't get tired at all anymore with it.

Good Luck
                      Amy

Comment

Cymbalta

I take Cymbalta 30mgs. at night. Nothing makes me sleepy. I also take ativan at night and it usually takes a hour or two for me to go to sleep. I was hoping the Cymbalta would make me sleep.
                        Pam

Comment

Cymbalta

Cymbalta was a horrible drug experience for me. I took it for apprx 3 months and lost my mind. Thank God I weaned myself off. I slept off and on all day and night. I would often pray to God to not let me die. It felt like I was slipping away from reality. I was not at all myself. I stayed on it for 3 months trusting my doctor that this was the answer to help me deal with my pain, anxiety and depression at the same time. I was dizzy, nausea, stared into space and just sick of the stomach constantly. I have never tried meth or any other street drugs but this experience could be the closest I have come to it! Please speak w/ your doctor and understand the side effects. If you are a little hesitate about any drug, ask others like this network but also remember everyone react to different drugs in different ways. But we still must thank God for this network and friends that has experienced various prescription drugs, pain killers and procedures before us.
                          good luck,
                          Trinkles
                          Last edited by TRINKLES; 03-29-2007, 08:40 AM. Reason: include mg- I was taking 30mg a day

Comment

I have not taken cymbalta myself, but do have a script for it. My GI gave it to me for pain. I read the side effects and chickened out and did not take it
                            I do have one friend who takes it and loves it. She said it takes all her pelvic pain away. She has nerve pain in her pelvic area due to surgeries. Well it has been a god send to her. If you take it, I hope it works that well for you too.
                            Jen

Comment

Amy~

Thanks for the suggestion, I was afraid to take it at night due to the insomnia I've been having with it. I can't explain it, I am tired/groggy a lot but don't sleep good either. I did finally sleep through the night for the first time since starting it 7 days ago. I hoping this goes away but I have a long road still since I have to up the dose two times in the next 5 weeks. The anxiety is the worst effect right now which they gave Lorazepam to help, that compounds the tired feeling so I have to be careful when I take it. All said though, it is worth the try for me if I can get long term pain relief and the medicine symptoms eventual get better. I am still on the fence for the drug for now. I hope everyone will keep us posted on how they are doing and how the effects come and hopefully go. One good side note: I have lost 2lbs this week so at least unlike the Elavil I am not gaining weight with it.

Thanks,
                              Lenee

Comment

I don't like the affects that Cymbalta is having while you are trying to get off of it. I was thinking of asking my uro about Cymbalta too. Now, I am scared. I have been on Elavil since 11/30/06 and I tried to get off for 4 days because of the hunger, my head felt weird and I felt anxious too. I started it back up slowly since my urethral area is burning once again to the point that I want to cry.

I hope someone has some good information for you on weaning off.
                                bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

Working...
                                X