How much ELAVIL do you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much ELAVIL do you take?

I may try Elavil, and I just wanted to know how much people take for IC? Thank you.

I tried to take it but we didn't agree. I actually think it was 25 mgs.
    I do know a lot of the ladies here take it, and will be glad to shgare there thoughts and dosages with you.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I take 25mg nightly.
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

i split 25mgs some nights i take 12.5 mgs sometimes 6 mg. i have a hard time waking up the next morning if i take 25mg.
        mom to 3 wonderful kids

IC symptoms 7/03,
        hysterectomy 11/04,
        prolapse cervix 7/07
        diagnosed: IC 2007
        IBS 2008

Comment

50mgs taken at night.

D
          (\__/)
          (o.O )
          (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

25mg at night
            Hugs
            Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
            http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
            http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
            Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
            Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
            Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
            Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I couldn't take it, but my husband takes 10 mg for arthritis pain control.

Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

i'm on 25 mg at nighttime....it makes me sleepy and sick though
                [SIZE="1"]
                I've tried:
                Ditropan
                Detrol LA
                Levbid
                Prelief
                Elmiron
                Elavil
                Vesicare
                Cystoscopy/hydro
                Sanctura
                Enablex
                dmso and heparin instills
                Interstim

Comment

I was taking 25mgs at night, and it helped so much that I went up to 50mgs to see if it would help even more. Haven't noticed any change though. Will probably go back to the 25mgs soon-don't want to take the extra if I don't have to (I hate taking meds.).

Comment

elavil

elavil was the only med that worked for my IC. i started out at 50 mg and hated the side effects but kept taking it. It took 3 months to work; I have now been in remission for 7 years and am taking 5 mg.

Comment

25mg at night.
                      Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
                      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I am on 30 mg, when I tried 40mg I became so nasty. Hubby and Cindy knick named me EVIL. So we quickly went to 30 mg again.

Comment

I seem to be the winner, I take 75 mg :-)

I take 75 mg at night. I do sleep about one more hour per day than I used to, but Elavil has totally given me my life back, so I'm okay with sleeping more since I feel so much better the other hours I am awake!

I started out at 25 mg and felt relief within a day or two, but then flared again. I went up to 50 mg, and bascially the same thing happened. I went up to 75 mg (what the doctor set as my maximum dosage) and started feeling better for longer and longer periods. I had a similar experience as Mayray -- it took about three months for it to really work for long periods of time. I still have small flares, but can usually go for a week or two between them, and I just keep getting better and better.

I do still have to watch what I eat, and my triggers (processed soy, processed tomatoes, citrus) will still cause a small flare.

I was in constant everyday pain before the Elavil, going to the bathroom 25-35 times/day and having bouts of sudden, unbearable urgency. I took Ultram and Vicodin but they didn't do anything for the pain -- the only thing that helped was lots of heat, pyridum and prosed, which would take the edge off. I am so grateful for Elavil! I assume that at some point I may be able to go down to a lower dosage, but I'm not ready to stir the pot yet! I'm too happy with how I'm feeling.

I hope if you decide to try it you will have the same great results I have -- I am SO much better than I was before, I can hardly even describe it!

Comment

Elavil

I take 10-25 mg of Elavil and it has been a life saver for me. It works so well for PFD and for frequency and urethral spasms. I can take 10 mg during the day if things act up and dont even get sleepy. I dont take it after 4:00 PM because I have possible restless leg syndrome which wakes me up at night and the sleep Docs say elavil makes this worse. So, I take 0.5 Klonopin at bedtime for sleep and the Elavil as needed.
                            If it came to giving one thing up, it would NOT be the Elavil. I also am on Elmiron 6 a day, and doing well.
                            Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
                            Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

20 mg at night.
                              Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                              I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                              ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                              Source - Pinterest
                              "

Current treatments:
                              -IC diet
                              -Elavil 50mg at night
                              -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                              -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                              -Pyridium if needed,
                              -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                              -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                              -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                              -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                              -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                              -Managing stress= VERY important!
                              -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Working...
                              X