Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• born2swim
    replied
    Well, I haven't been put on that (not yet at least), but my view is, if it helps you feel better, that is worth the 25-30 pounds in 2 years. If you are feeling better you may be able to exercise more (and prevent further gain and may lose a few of those pounds). Same thing people say about Elmiron... if it helps, some hair loss they'll deal with. Now, being in my 20's, hair loss would devestate me. But to gain back 20 pounds I lost (I lost over 100 pounds last year), I would tolerate the gain to feel better... then when I feel better, I'd hit the gym! I'm a gym rat!

Leave a comment:

• **Angie**
    replied
    Elavil = 16 lbs!!

Elavil = weight gain for me = 16 lbs in a very short period of time. I wasn't even taking enough to help me. I feel like I should try it again at a higher dose "but" I don't want to gain anymore weight.

Leave a comment:

• snslife
    replied
    i havent had any weight gain. do you take it throughout the day? I take 50 mg at night before I go to bed so I dont notice an increase in appetite.

Leave a comment:

• bunnykinb
    replied
    I had stopped Elavil March 21-24 and then took it again March 25 since my burning has come back again and has continued even today as I write. Every time I get this urethral pain, I feel I need to stop working my part time job. I already went on short term disability in 2004. I am trying to hold out since my kids are almost out of school before requesting disability. But, on the other hand, I don't know if my position will be held open since I am not covered under the family leave act.

Leave a comment:

• chelseacat
    replied
    I have to agree with jsruby above. I've taken Elavil 10mg for several years and had put on around 25 pounds. I had no energy but it made a huge difference in IC symptoms (almost gone away!). However, I craved sweets all day!!

I made the decision to eliminate the simple carbs and the weight dropped off in a matter of months. Not to say its been fun. I do allow an occasional treat such as pizza or birthday cake or a daily little 100 calorie pack of sweets.

It hasn't always been easy but if I could (almost) give up the simple carbs anyone can!

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    I have just switched from Elavil to Klonapin, so I'll try to remember to let you all know how it goes. So far I'm sleeping well, which was the main benefit I got from the Elavil, so that's ok. Klonapin can cause either weight gain OR loss, or neither. I have been on it before, years ago, and it had no effect on my weight. But, along with some of you guys, I'm kind of stuck with the Elavil weight as I am not yet able to exercise. I am fairly sure that the sweet cravings are lessening, but this is only the second day so I will report back in a week or so! And if I don't, someone please PM me to remind me. Since a lot of you asked about this, and I am right here actually trying it, I don't want to forget to keep you informed.

I hope I can help someone, by sharing my experience.

Leave a comment:

• med_head_09
    replied
    i just started elavil about 2 weeks ago, and i have actually lost 11 pounds since i started it, but 2 days after starting it i started working out twice a day and am doing a 1200 calorie diet (previously 1800-2000). i have not had sweet cravings, but i am also taking metformin for other problems to help with glucose metabolism and insulin resistance. hopefully i can continue to lose and not gain!! i am not sure if the medicine is helping or not...hmmm. we shall see.

Leave a comment:

• jsruby
    replied
    No refined carbs

Somebody posted that Elavil changes the blood sugar in the body. I assume that it increases the blood sugar level. This means that refined carbohydrates in particular will more easily and more quickly turn into fat.

Refined means the food has gone through a process which adds sugar, or takes out the bran or fibre of the food. Unrefined means the food has had as little processing as possible.

Usually your body gives you a chance to burn off carbohydrates, but if your body already has an excess of sugar (high blood sugar level) then even if you are exercising the same amount, you will still gain weight.

So, it seems that the easiest way to keep the weight off is to keep exercising, or exercise a little more, and don't eat refined carbohydrates.

These are sugar containing foods and drinks, white flour, white bread, pasta and white rice. Potatoes are also often put in this group. Check your labels, you will be surprised how much high fructose corn syrup is in ingredients, which is also a refined carb. In fact, anything ending in "ose" should be avoided.

More Refined Carbs

Baked goods: muffins, donuts, pastries, cookies, cakes
    White flour and white flour products such as white bread and bagels
    Snack foods: candies, chips, pretzels
    Sweetened dairy products: ice cream, chocolate milk
    Drinks: pop/soda, juice
    Processed grain products: Pasta made from white flour, white rice, rice cakes, many breakfast cereals

Refined carbohydrates also reduce B vitamin and mineral levels in the body due to their processing and digesting requirements.

Complex Carbs are a lot healthier

Spinach, Whole Barley, Grapefruit, Turnip Greens,
    Buckwheat, Apples, Lettuce, Buckwheat bread,
    Prunes, Water Cress, Oat bran bread, Apricots Dried,
    Zucchini, Oatmeal, Pears,
    Asparagus, Oat bran cereal, Plums,
    Artichokes, Museli, Strawberries,
    Okra, Wild rice, Oranges,
    Cabbage, Brown rice, Yams,
    Celery, Multi-grain bread, Carrots,
    Cucumbers, Whole meal spelt bread,
    Dill Pickles, Pinto beans, Soybeans,
    Radishes, Yogurt low fat, Lentils,
    Broccoli, Skim milk, Garbanzo beans,
    Brussels Sprouts, Kidney beans, Eggplant, Lentils,
    Onions, Split peas, Cauliflower, Navy beans

So, when you take Elavil just pretend you are eating a couple of pieces of vanilla cake, then you can adjust your diet accordingly.

http://www.newstarget.com/002039.html
    http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=19
    http://www.howtothinkthin.com/instincts2.htm
    Last edited by jsruby; 03-28-2007, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bunnykinb
    replied
    I was ok with not eating too much this morning and early afternoon. Then, around 5 pm I became sooooooooooo hungry. Here it is 9:39p and I want more food. Do I give in and get fat and feel better while being on Elavil?

Leave a comment:

• kjd
    replied
    Hi bunnykinb

Yes it does the same I am afraid which is why you feel hungry so much! It can however cause weight loss too as it can make you lose your appitite!

I just crave sweet foods all the time :-)

Leave a comment:

• bunnykinb
    replied
    KJD,

Does nortriptyline or klonopin do the same thing as you described like Elavil?

I liked feeling better but hate feeling the need for food. It is very difficult for me to work without feeling like I need to eat constantly.

Leave a comment:

• kjd
    replied
    Hi all

Just wanted to say that I did some research into Elavil and discussed with my neurologist and the reason why Elavil can cause weight gain is because it changes the blood sugar level in your body.
    Blood sugar levels are responsible in telling is when we are hungry etc so Elavil can make you feel very hungry (sometimes shakey and needing sugar) even when the body doesnt need food.

So its not actually the medication itself which causes weight gain, its the fact we feel we need more food. I have gained 20lbs and not happy but I know that I am eating more as I feel hungy all the time!

Its hard I know x

Leave a comment:

• bunnykinb
    replied
    Someone suggested using Nortriptyline or Klonopin instead of Elavil, but all these still have the side affect of weight gain and sweet cravings. I would rather eat sweets than food since I was young. But, with Elavil, I want sweets all the time. I ate 6 thin mint cookies, 2 samoan cookies, and 2 trefoils; all from Girl Scouts. Yummy yummy. I feel guilty eating all these sweets but yet I can't stop myself. Of course, chocolate is a no no with IC but I have found I can eat it without symtoms.

I had to take a full dose of Elavil last night because of the burning. The burning didn't start until I had another DMSO on Wed. 3/7. The nurse put in the catheter like I was a toilet getting cleaned. I don't like it when I get that nurse.

Leave a comment:

• Charlot
    replied
    Hi Bunnykinb, I know what you mean about be hungry all the time. I would get up from eating and be looking for something else. The strange thing for me was that I have always been a sweet freak but while taking the Elavil I did not want sweets, just anything else. I had cut back to almost nothing and was still gaining weight, I am like you I have always been slim and I guess that is why the weight bothers me so much. I know that Elavil was great for the pain and it has been hard coming off it. For the burning (if you do not have high Blood Pressure) you might try 1/2 tsp. baking soda in water and drink that, it seems to help me quite a bit. I even had to do this on bad days while still on Elavil.

Leave a comment:

• bunnykinb
    replied
    I began Elavil 10 mg on 11/30/06. Although, I haven't gained any weight, I feel that I am soooooooo and I mean sooooooooooo hungry all the time even after eating. I am on the slim side and would like to stay that way. I was in constant pain for 4 months straight with burning until I started taking Elavil. For the first 3 weeks, I felt totally nauseated and wondered how people could gain weight. Then, the hunger pangs came in late December. I feel hungry even after eating. I mainly crave sweets. In fact, I put out a post on this topic.

Recently in the past week, I cut my Elavil in half and then every other day, I don't feel as hungry, but my burning has come back slightly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X