Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions needed on those who are on or have taken LEXAPRO

Hi all
    My rhumetolgist put me on Lexapro a few days ago, she gave me 10mg, but I am slowly starting & split the pill to 5mg. I have only been on it 3 days, but am wondering if anyone has seen any relief from depression/anxiety(caused by IC), sleeping better?? or seen an pain relief. I hate the weird side effects I am getting..I am so fuzzy & foggy thru out the day, yet at nite when i settle down to sleep, I am crawling out of my skin. Plus bad headaches. UGHH. I take it around 6PM each nite. I would love to hear others experience with this drug.....
    Thanks!!
    Karen
    Currently Taking:
    20 mg Celexa
    fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
    morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
    Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
    900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
    300 MG Welbutrin
    Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
    blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

Can you split Lexapro? I know its a vesion of Celexa, but its time released...if your doc says its OK to split it...then I'd say follow that...but sometimes time relased meds and really mess with you when you crack them in half (Oxycontin is great example).

I haven't been on Lexapro...but I had tried both dosages of celexa and it takes a while for any antidepressants to build into your system...You have to keep taking it so a) the side effects, if any, even out and b) the levels of the drug in your system build up so that it starts to work effectively on your syptoms. Sometimes it can take weeks start to see some improvement.

The 75mgs of Elavil was killing me at first....I'm starting to see some improvements, and hopefully wth time things will keep improving....Altho there were days I could've just curled up in my cubbie at work and just snoooooooozed...talk about drowsiness....ack.

Hopefully others who have take Lexapro can help you with what they experienced.

y.
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

Comment

I just checked online & YES Lexapro can be split, so that is good. Thanks for bringing that up, I hadnt even thought of that! I remember all the other anti-depress. I was on always gave me foggy feelings, but I never STUCK with them. Just wanted to see if anyone out there has LUCK with taking this drug, LOL.
      As for your Elavil fog, I took that for a few months & turned into a complete zombie. I lost my personality, was complete out of it daily BUT I slept great at nite. I decided my life was more important than a decent nite sleep, but lately...with my night peeing, I am starting to wonder!!
      Good luck with the Elavil!!
      Karen
      Currently Taking:
      20 mg Celexa
      fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
      morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
      Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
      900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
      300 MG Welbutrin
      Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
      Prevacid 30 mg
      Ambien as needed

my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
      blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.

Comment

hi,
        Canada verson of lexapro is cipralex not Celexa

Eeyore

Comment

BUt Celexa and Lexapro are basically the same med. I think Lexapro is made up of one part of Celexa. (How's that for scientific lingo? Not. ) I do know they are very, very similar, but Lexapro is thought to have fewer side effects than Celexa.

I've been on Lexapro for about 3 years, I think? Maybe longer. It has helped me a lot with my depression and anxiety. I started at 10mg and did that for two years and then bumped up to 20mg. I was told by the psychiatrist who intially prescribed it that often people with anxciety disorders need 20mg to really be helped by it.

I was not expecting it to help my IC, but it did. It took away the last bit of urethral discomfort I had.
          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

But Celexa and Lexapro are basically the same med. I think Lexapro is made up of one part of Celexa. (How's that for scientific lingo? Not. ) I do know they are very, very similar, but Lexapro is thought to have fewer side effects than Celexa.

I've been on Lexapro for about 3 years, I think? Maybe longer. It has helped me a lot with my depression and anxiety. I started at 10mg and did that for two years and then bumped up to 20mg. I was told by the psychiatrist who intially prescribed it for me that often people with anxiety disorders need 20mg to really be helped by it.

I was not expecting it to help my IC, but it did. It took away the last bit of urethral discomfort I had.
            Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I was on Lexapro for years and never really had any side effects...and it worked pretty well! After giving birth, I was put back on it but it didn't do anything (I think it made my bladder worse, which makes me sad b/c it worked so well before). Many do very well on it, give it a few weeks. You really have to be on at LEAST 10 mg for 3-4 weeks to feel anything. Good luck, I hope it works for you like it worked for me!
              (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

Karen,
                I had a very, very rare side effect to Lexapro--a grand mal seizure. Just unlucky ol me though. It was one of those side effects way down the list.

Hugs,
                Barb
                (Babs passed away in April 2009. We honor her memory and remember her fondly. - Jill O. ICN President & Founder)

[SIZE="1"]Proud mama of a gift named Lindsey who taught me through her autism what is important in life:angel:
                :angel: IC Angel Volunteer Coordinator :angel:
                :) Contact me via PM or e-mail if you would like to help
                I have learned all about life in 3 words: It goes on! :D--Robert Frost
                PCOS 7/85
                RSD 7/94 :headbang:
                Endometriosis 9/98 :toilet:
                Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome 9/99
                Kidney stones--too many to count
                Factor V Leiden mutation 10/02
                IC 6/03 :evilsmile
                Deep Venous Thrombosis and Cellulitis 12/05 :loco: DVT and Greenfield Placed 3/14/08
                "Spirit is an invisible force made visible in all of life"--Maya Angelou
                "Ohana means family--no one gets left behind or forgotten." Stitch[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

I know my mom and I have both been on it for short amounts of time. We both felt in a daze and really dragging. We both did not like the drug due to the side effects.

Comment

I was on Lexapro for awhile and had no side effects whatsoever. I am now on Paxil for my depression and anxiety and it is fine too.

Thank God I haven't had any of the side effects you are talking about.
                    Meds I take:
                    Elmiron, Elavil, Vagifem- for IC
                    Albuterol, Flovent, Atrovent- for Asthma and lung problems
                    Paxil, Clonazepam- for depression and Anxiety
                    Atenolol- for rapid heart rate
                    Nexium- for Gerd
                    Levothyroxin- for Hypothyroidism
                    Lasix, Pottasium- for edema
                    Lipitor- for High Cholesterol
                    I coated aspirin
                    02 at bedtime

Comment

I was on Celexa when I was diagnosed with IC, which a form of Lexipro. They switched me to Lexipro because they thought that the Celexa was causing my migraines. I didn't see any relief for the IC, but did sleep well and felt even. It wore off after about 2 years and I had to go to Effexor.

Comment

Working...
                      X