What else works besides Elavil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else works besides Elavil?

I am one of those rare people that cannot sleep on Elavil. I am seeing my uro today and want to know if anyone takes another anti-depressant that works as well as Elavil? I appreciate any information. Thanks

HI! Elavil alone won't keep me asleep either. I take Lunesta also now and sleep great. IF you can't find anything else.....you might try that as an option. Good luck! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Hi jah,
      Wow, I havn't heard of that before! I was on Elvail but was sleeping too much and eating non-stop, and that was on 20 mgs. I am now on Nortriptyline which is similar. I sleep well and get pain relief and can take up to 30 mgs a day without being exhausted and hungry. It is in the tricylclic antidepressent family though (as is Elavil) so I don't know if you would still have the same reaction to it as with the Elavil.
      Some patients here take Cymbalta which is an antidepressent that is supposed to help with pain as well. There are many other people here who are on various prescription sleep aids instead. I had heard on a different thread that one in particular is going to be available over the counter soon. Hopefully they will give you some suggestions too!
      Rachel
      DX's:
      IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
      three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
      Currently using:
      Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
      Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
      I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. Wow--an over-the-counter med? Terrific. I will definitely talk to my doctor about your recommendations. Elavil just doesn't allow me to sleep at all, and if I take it in the morning--I am a complete flake. I have noticed however that it acts as an immediate pain killer, and does not have to be taken daily. Thanks again.

Comment

I take 10 mg of Elavil and need to be in bed within 30 minutes. I only wake up 1 time at night for the tinkle room. But, while awake, I use the restroom every hour on a good day, and well, this week with my burning, I am using the restroom every 30 minutes.
          bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

Ativan helps me, plus it helps my muscle spasms.

Erika
            IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
            Interstim Since 5/25/07!
            Birth Control

Comment

I take cymbalta for depression and pain; atarax for sleep. Atarax is an anti-histamine but it cuts down on nighttime urination and helps you sleep. Or, anyway, it helps most people sleep.
              Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
              Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Working...
              X