Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pain meds that DON'T cause retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pain meds that DON'T cause retention?

I need something for the nerve pain that I'm having with ic, but everything is causing retention. Tried atarax and elavil and both caused retention issues. Doc gave my percoset and not only did it completely knock me out, it too gave me retention. No retention with pyridium, but something in it makes my bladder burn even more than usual. I'm just having no luck.

The only thing that works a bit (with no retention) is xanax, but it's just not cutting it these days.

Anyone have any other ideas?
    mom_in_ma

Hi Robin.
    I am just like you, I seem to get the retention issues with all those type meds you mentioned. My urogyne just gave me a script for darvocet, it does not mention retention as a side effect, but who knows, it is still a narcotic so I guess it is possible. I also cannot take pain med because I have verrrrrry slow motility in my stomach and bowels and these type meds will make me worse. It really sucks having several health issues. I wish I could give you some advice on what pain meds to take, but I have the same issues with the retention as you do.
    Jen

Comment

Thanks Jen. Sorry that you're getting the same results. It's so frustrating, isn't it?

-Robin
      mom_in_ma

Comment

Hi Robin,
        Yes, it is frustrating to no end! By chance, have you ever tried the meds neurontin or lyrica? These are suppose to be great for nerve pain. I took neurontin a while back for severe throat burning I was having which we believed was nerve pain. It did help some. Lyrica is also suppose to help some people with IC. I have tried lyrica and it made my bladder feel worse so I had to stop it, but it does help some people. I hope you can find something that will work for you.
        Jen

Comment

Jen,
          No, I've not tried neurontin or lyrica yet. In the last month my doctor has given me perscriptions for elavil, atarax, samples of prosced, and my primary doc gave me percoset (sp?). Honestly, I'm tired of calling to say, 'it's not working, can I try (insert new drug)? I've got a follow up appointment in a few weeks so I'll put some new ideas together again.

I noticed you're doing home rescue instills now. Are they helping you? What is your formula? My doc hasn't done them before and is willing to try, but he needs to hear what others are using.
          mom_in_ma

Comment

Hi Robin.
            The instills I am doing do seem to help some. I am using heperin,lidocaine, and saline. I am doing them once a week right now. I still get bad days, but they have helped with the pain. Maybe you should consider it. I decided to try them because I have not had any luck with meds, and have to many side effects from the meds as it is. Maybe they will give you some relief.
            Jen

Comment

Also just a thought about the urelle, it can cause urinary retention since it is an anticholergenic med, so I would use that with caution since you seem prone to get the retention with certain meds. My doc wanted me to take the urelle, but I did not because it states right on the package that it can cause retention, also since my tummy is slow already, anticholergenic meds slow things up very much. Now pyridium, this might be ok. It is just a bladder asprin sort of speak. I took it, but it did not really help me much at all. But some here do get good relief from it.
              Jen

Comment

i too have retention probs with ALL PAIN MEDS. if anyone finds a magic pill...please let me know.

i was taking soma and it didn't cause retention but horrible constipation despite water/fiber/etc. i give uP!
                (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

i too have retention problems with a lot of the meds. i use vaginal valium suppositories. they have not caused retention at all. i also just started klonopin to try to get some sleep as of last night. i was on ativan but it stopped working . it is also in the class of benzodiazepines such as valium and ativan.
                  i have tried tons of stuff over the course of the past 15 years. for severe pain i take liquid oxycondone (oxyfast) even though it is a narcotic .. it is in liquid form dispensed in a dropper and you have better control over the dose you are giving yourself, therefore i do have a bit of retention , but i back off of it a bit or use less and drink tons of water and i think maybe the vaginal valium suppositories help with counteracting some of the retention that may come along with the liquid oxyfast. however, it is a constant balancing act for me with my meds. i take celexa 20 mg, neurontin and also elmiron and flomax. i don't know if any of them are helping me at all, but i am afraid to go off for fear that i will be worse and i am i have real severe ic.
                  i have all of the IC symptoms real bad.
                  Tried the interstim trial in april on both sides and it didn't work. it caused severe internal cramping.. so had to get wires taken out... apparently my parasympathetic nervous system is really in overdrive and is EXTREMELY high strung or something to that effect.
                  So i keep plugging along and try to find something that will help. there are so many helpful suggestions on these boards and promising research being done.
                  I think you just have to be proactive and read as much as you can listen and bring ideas to your doctors as well. If your doctors aren't listening to you get other opinions. I know it is really exhausting and very hard work. i rest as much as i can and then fight as much as i can.
                  i think we all have built in radars and we know when to get other opinions from a different doc.
                  There are many pain med options out there and they are coming up with all different approaches.... the key is finding a doc who understands IC pain. i think that the pain in my case has almost become another disease in itself. IC pain is difficult to treat especially for those who are prone to retention. I have even have to self cath at times, if i must. I am always on a tightrope doing the balancing act with my meds... something that is totally unpredictable and varies always.

Comment

I take Ultram, but it helps with the urge feeling for me as pain isn't the reason I take it. My bladder feels pain but my brain feels "gotta pee". I take 50mg once every few days (afraid to take it more often). It's a non-narcotic, so maybe you can tolerate it?
                    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

thanks.. i tried Tramadol (ultram). the amount that i need to make any dent in my pain made me retain really badly. so that one was knocked off the list.
                      Sure appreciate your concern.
                      How does Atarax work for you?

Comment

Sorry! I wish is helped you! It doesn't have that groggy effect that narcotics have...

Atarax is a miracle drug for me. Before it, some nights I wouldnt' go to bed because I'd have to get up every 10-30 minutes to urinate, that I'd say "why bother". They put me on Atarax, and I cut it down to 3-4 times a night. After a few nights on that, I slept through the night and have been even since (except for when I tried Topamax... increased my urgency/frequency big time). I missed one Atarax dose (wasn't home to take the med) and I got up 5 times in 6 hours to use the bathroom. It is definately giving me sleep. I take a liquid form, which wears off before I wake up... I think I will switch over to the pill form and see if that helps me more during the day.

If you have any allergies it will also cut those down drastically. This is the first time in my life I have had a dry nose! LOL! It's actually too try so I put a little bit of Aquaphor in/on it to help with that dryness.

I will never give up my Atarax! It is definately something to ask about. Some people get really groggy on it at first. I'd say the first day or two I was but that was it. I have been on it since April. I'd say my vision is slightly off, but not that bothersome. I just blink more often. I'm going to make sure that is not serious tomorrow when I see my doctor.

[

Comment

thanks~ do you just take the atarax at bedtime? i think i was on it when i was first diagnosed about 15 years ago. It was so long ago and so many medications ago, i don't remember how i responded...
                          But i am curious when you take it at bedtime what is your dosing to get you to sleep without waking up. Does the liquid form have any advantages over the pill form?
                          Thanks so much and i am glad you are getting relief with it~

Comment

No problem! I take Atarax at night. I have been taking a liquid form (5ml which has 10mg). Typically people take 25mg or even up to 75mg (so I've heard). My doctor just gave me the capsule form at 25mg in hopes that it helps me more during the day (takes longer to wear off than a lower dose would maybe)? From what I understand, liquid form acts faster than pill form. So, I take it and go right to bed. Same with liquid pain meds, they say act faster. Now, if that is wrong, then I have no idea what advantage liquid has over pill or vice versa! Atarax is my miracle drug. I couldn't sleep without it. I missed a dose the other night and I got up 5 times in 6 hours. With the Atarax, I can sleep 7 hours without waking up. It's such a relief to sleep! Hopefully the pill form will linger in my system so I feel better during the day. The liquid would make me too groggy (peak and valleys wore me out). Hopefully the pill will be more steady. I don't know if it will do anything, but I will give it a shot. If not, I'll stick with the liquid form! Ask about it. Many doctors prescribe it at the beginning because it helps to take it right before bed (and my allergies have improved tremendously)!

[

Comment

I agree with the thought of trying Lyrica. It would take a while though to start to work.
                              Have you tried the Duralgesic Patch?
                              If you find a pain medication that helps cut down the pain but makes you tired ask the doctor to give you a lower dose. I worked with IC for 24 years. You need to find the balance between getting some relief but not knocked out. I know it's not easy but that was how I dealt with it.

Ginny

Comment

Working...
                              X