Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Advice on Elavil

Hi

I posted awhile back, about asking my uro to prescribe elavil. Well after what I thought was another UTI, he prescribed elavil. I'm also currently on Enablex 15mg.

I haven't been diagnosed yet with IC. I have a lot of frequency and for the past 6 months these uti's come and go. Uro wants to do cysto/hdyro for diagnoisis.(which I am afraid to do).

Anyway, I hear this med, makes you very sleepy. I have 3 young children and need all the energy I have. So, basically, please give me some encouragement on this med.

Thank you in advance.

CC

Take it early on in the evening - rather than waiting until 9 or 10. That way you might not wake up so tired. I found that after several days on it I wasn't having the fatigue anymore.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I would always take it around 8:30 pm and would be out by 9:30 or 10:00 I was a little tired in the mornings but nothing I couldnt shake off..I got use to it after awhile.. I loved elavil and would be continueing it if the doctor would not have took me off of it because of the weight gain and it caused my blood pressure to elavate..Which really sucks for me because I was almost back to feeling normal, waking up one time a night going about 10 times a day <which is great for me and a minamal pain of maybe a level 2..I was on elavil and enablex and cymbalta...They worked wonders for me.. Just sad I had to get off of it...

I wish you all the luck in the world and I would definitely try it before you have the hysto/cysto...
      Hugs
      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I take mine at 7pm that way by 7am I am over it by the most part.

Comment

I also took mine at 7:30pm, so I'd be okay when I got up at 5:30am. I still needed an hour to shake off the grogginess before going to work, but it was much much better than the not-sleeping I'd been doing before I started Elavil. It took a few months of doing that before I was able to take it at bedtime.

Just watch your appetite on it, I gained 35 pounds on it. I've had to work very hard to lose 13 of those pounds. I do hope to lose more, but I notice that I crave sweets on this medicine & weight loss is harder than it's ever been. Just maybe do a food diary before starting & continue it while on the medicine to check yourself, make sure you're not eating a lot more.

That said, it's been a very very effective & helpful medicine for me. Hope it works out well for you too!
          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
          -Managing stress= VERY important!
          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

i've been on Elavil for just over a year now without experiencing any negative side effects. I had a BP elevation a couple weeks ago at the DR's-was thinking it was the Elavil-however the readings have come back down to normal. I've not experienced any tiredness/drowsiness nor any weight gain.

Take care,
            Diana
            (\__/)
            (o.O )
            (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

I also take Elavil 25mg around 7pm at night. Sometimes I have had to take a 25mg pill during the day and it doesn't affect me at all, maybe it's a 'mind game' thing???? But if I take even a sleeping pill too late (10pm or 11pm.....it will keep me drowsy all morning or even all day). Anything that promotes 'sleep' should be taken as early as you can take it so most of it is out of your system when you wake up and you should be good to go.

Comment

The first time I took Elavil I couldn't wake up the next day(25mg)--and I did childcare at the time--thank goodness my son & daughter were home to help. I also gained 16lbs while taking it. I didn't seem to see a difference while taking it so stopped. I just started taking nortriptyline 4 days ago (I also have been taking hydroxyzine for 1mo.) and I am seeing a difference in pain mgmt and urgency. I took the 2 meds far apart so that I could get used to them as I'm really effected by sleepy meds. A lot of people seem to see a big difference in their IC mgmt while taking Elavil. Try taking it the first time early and on a night that you have help the next morning/day. I took it the first time on a Friday so that I didn't have to get up early with kids the next morning.

Comment

Thanks so much

All of you are a great source of information.

One more question, How soon did you see improvement with elavil. Remember, I am taking this for frequency, I only have slight pain when I think I have a uti.

Thanks again.

CC

Comment

I seen full improvement within 2 weeks...
                    Hugs
                    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
                    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
                    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
                    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
                    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
                    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
                    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I noticed improvement within a week.

Wishing you well....
                      Diana
                      (\__/)
                      (o.O )
                      (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

Hi there! I've been taking Elavil for at least a couple of years (I think). It has worked tremendously for me. When I initially started taking it, I had an extremely difficult time getting up and felt very very groggy. However, once I took a shower and got moving, I felt better than I had in months. Primarily I think it's because it helped me to sleep through the night. I finally realized how sleep deprived I had been. I have also noticed that it doesn't really make me tired when I take it. Just once I go to sleep I have a more difficult time waking up. Again, this wears off once I get going. After being on Elavil for a while, I got used to it. At one point the doctor tried to wean me off of it to see if I could manage without it. At first it seemed okay (first few days) but then I quickly got worse again. That was awful. It took me 3 to 4 months to get regulated on it again. So needless to say, I'm very thankful for my elavil.

You mentioned that you are on Enablex. I took that for a while after I had been on Ditropan for some time. What I discoved is the Enablex seemed to work, but the longer I was on it, the less it worked. I gave this feedback to my doctor. One of the interns told me that she gets mostly negative feedback from people who take Enablex. I went back on the Ditropan XL and my symptoms were better again. So, I'm not sure if you've tried something diffferent than Enablex. I just thought I'd mention it as it might help with the frequency if you are on something else. I would say give it some time and if it doesn't get any better discuss some other options with your doctor.

I hope this helps. Good luck taking the Elavil. I hope it works for you!

Take care,
                        Jennifer
                        I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

Take it

I have been taking elavil for 2 months now and I feel like a new person . I haven't been diagnosed yet but will have a hydro also. Elavil has changed my life it makes you tired for about 2 weeks but after that you will feel like a new person. I work from 7am to 7pm and I do fine with it .I almost quit taking it because it makes you tired but just keep taking it and the results will amaize you good luck. LOREN
                          :Loren

Current Meds
                          Elmiron 300mg tid
                          Elavil 25mg at hs
                          Atarax 50mg bid
                          Tramacet as needed
                          Vitamin D 2000 iu bid
                          Gabapentin 300mg tid
                          Uracyst instillatons one a month

Comment

Working...
                          X