muscle relaxants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muscle relaxants

does anyone know if muscle relaxants can help with IC? if so i'm going to mention it to my doc next time I go in. I'm also wondering about this drug for nerve pain called NEURONTIN has anyone tried it? I have tried Cymbalta, Elavil, Vallium suppositories and pyridium with limited success, so if anyone could provide their experiences I would greatly appreciate it!

Caitlin
    Diagnosed December 2004
    Cytoscopy April 2007: 1000cc's capacity, no visible "IC", looked perfectly normal. Hydrodistention August 2007: again appearance of “normal looking” bladder. Surgery for bladder reflux in 1990, chronic bladder infections before that.

Medications: Oxycodone, Amitriptyline, Tizanadine, Lyrica, Ambien, Prilosec, Zantac, Zyrtec, low does Aspirin, (In the past I tried all the typical natural therapies out there without successL)

I don’t have “typical” IC symptoms,… I have a very large bladder (my Dr.’s eyes almost jumped out of his head when he saw my CT scan!) It seems to feel better the fuller it gets & the more I go to the bathroom, the more it hurts. My pain intensity doesn’t seem to be affected by diet or alcohol, that being said pain is my main issue, MAJOR PAIN!!! It sux!!

I occasionally take Flexeril (5mg) at night when I have pelvic pain/IC flareup.
    I do have pelvic floor muscle issues though, so I'm pretty sure that it's helping muscle pain.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

HI, I take Lyrica for nerve pain....it works fairly well but, like Neurontin, one of it's main side effects is rapid weight gain! I tink muscle relaxers do help calm the bladder. Have you tried Freeze dried Aloe Vera? It helps coat the bladder and that calms it down. Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
      Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
      Dx'd Hypothyroid
      Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
      June 2007
      Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
      First Cysto 1979
      First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
      Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
      Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
      Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
      Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
      Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
      Bladder surgery 2000
      Dx'd: IBS 2000
      Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
      Laminectomy 1989
      Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
      I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

If I am in a slight flare, just one quarter of my 5 mg flexeril will help, if its a bigger flare just one half helps.

Comment

I occasionally use muscle relaxers (Tizanidine) when I can tell it is my pelvic floor pain. I think this may be the generic for flexirile. I have also been taking Neurontin. It has helped a lot, but I think that is because I have some nerve damage from all of my surgeries. I did not really have any weight gain from it, but I started working again when I started it and I walk constantly when I am working so I should have lost weight when I started it, but really just stayed the same. It does also tend to make you have a little memory loss I think. I can tell that I forget things even easier than before since I started on it. I think my husband and daughter use this to their advantage sometimes to convince me that I agreed to something and just don't remember it--Ha Ha! Lyrica is similar to Neurontin. Hope this helps.

Janice

Comment

I've tried Flexeril with not much help. I'm taking robaxin and I see a slight difference. I guess that's better than no difference. Overall I haven't gotten the relief I had hoped I would get.

Comment

I take 20 mg of flexeril for my fibro, and it reaffly helps my bladder. I did start off on 5 mg. I can take them up to 4 times a day. I also find that 1 urised a day helps my bladder from spasms.
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Working...
              X