does the elavil fatigue ever go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the elavil fatigue ever go away

I have been on elavil for the last 12 years, since my diagnosis. It has helped tremendously. It has been the one constant in my treatment. The only downside to it is the extreme fatigue. I always feel like I"m dragging. It is like I can never get enough sleep. I spend the weekends in bed just so I can function during the week. My question is what's the best way to take elavil to minimize the fatigue? I am already on a low dose. I want to feel 28 instead of 88. Any advice is appreciated.
    IC-diagnosed August 1998 with cystoscopy and hydro
    IBS-diagnosed in 1998 probably had for majority of my life
    Fibro-Diagnosed in 2010
    Other conditions: Depression, High Cholesterol (irony)

Primary symptoms: PAIN, bloating, frequency, urgency, fatigue

Current Meds: Elavil 10mg at bedtime, Toviaz 4mg at bedtime, Lyrica 3x a day

Failed meds: Vesicare, Detrol LA, Celexa, Vioxx, Celebrex, Ditropan XL, Elmiron
    "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

I think if you were going to get used to the fatigue of elavil it probably would've happened a long time ago
    Are you sure its the elavil? what else are you taking? Do you have any other conditions like CFS or fibro that can cause fatigue?
    If not, have you thought about trying a different tri-cyclic? There are 2nd generation tri-cyclics that cause less side effects. The first time my husband tried elavil, he slept all night until 10 in the morning then at noon he was back asleep in the recliner and that was only taking 12mg! His doctor switched him to nortriptyline (pamelor) which is the one I'm taking too and he sleeps well but isn't knocked out by it. It makes me a little hyper and a little groggy all at once... Anyways, thats not the only one but its the one I see on here most often besides the elavil.
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

I am on 10 mg. I do have Fibro and IBS. I dont know much about CFS. I am Lyrica and Toviaz for everything. At different points for various reasons I have been off each of the meds. I dont feel the same intense fatigue when I am off of the Lyrica and the Toviaz. I am hesitant to switch to something else because it does work so well, and the withdrawal is a nightmare. On the other hand, I want to improve my quality of life.
      IC-diagnosed August 1998 with cystoscopy and hydro
      IBS-diagnosed in 1998 probably had for majority of my life
      Fibro-Diagnosed in 2010
      Other conditions: Depression, High Cholesterol (irony)

Primary symptoms: PAIN, bloating, frequency, urgency, fatigue

Current Meds: Elavil 10mg at bedtime, Toviaz 4mg at bedtime, Lyrica 3x a day

Failed meds: Vesicare, Detrol LA, Celexa, Vioxx, Celebrex, Ditropan XL, Elmiron
      "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."

Comment

I am on amitriptyline and hydroxyzine only at night. I take them about an hour before I get into bed and then I'm usually asleep within an hour of getting into bed; so 2 hours from the time I take the meds to when I fall asleep.

I am currently taking 30 mgs. amitriptyline with 25 mgs hydroxyzine.

I tried taking it during the day and I was so exhausted. So I only take it in the evenings now. I usually sleep good for about 3 hours and then I'm awake on and off through the rest of the night. Usually not too tired in the morning.

Everyone metabolizes and reacts to meds and combinations of meds differently.
        Colleen

* ITP - autoimmune blood disorder - spleen removed 1978 and in remission since
        * MS- diagnosed Jan-2010
        * IC - confirmed by cysto and hydro Nov-2010 - currently taking no medication
        * possible adenomyosis - suspected by urogyno May-2010
        * low Vitamin D levels - taking 2000 IU daily
        * sleep issues - 1/2 alprazolam

Comment

i am sleepy ALL the time you say sleep I can you say Pee I can. I can sleep and Pee on demand. I take 12.5 mg of Elavil. Now I am taking Cymbalta I am just gonna be a zoombie. I think if the Cymbalta makes me sleepy tho I am gonna try to give up on the Elavil. But I really love the fact if you have to get up to PP during the night you don't have to count sheep to go back to sleep you do good to make it back to the bed. LOL Here is my day. Get up take my little boy to school come back go back to bed until 11 go take his lunch to him then come back and go back to bed on most days. Some days I watch the soaps. Most days sleep. I hope the Cymbalta helps me. I pray to the Lord it does.
          Coopsmom

"Through God All Things Are Possible"

Topamax for Migraines 50
          Elavil 12.5 mg
          Lidocaine 2% 10 cc
          Sodium Bicarb 8.4% 5 cc
          Heprain 20,000 Units
          Hydroxyzine 25 mgs
          Valium Sup. 10 mgs.
          Phenegran 25 mgs.
          Amerge 2.5 mgs.
          Lidocaine Gel 2%

Comment

I've been on Doxepin (which is a Tricyclic) for 11 years. I was a bit groggy for a few weeks at first as I got used to it, however it went away after that and I felt fine with no day time fatigue or sleepiness after that.
            Last edited by Tink22; 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM.
            Live Well
            Love Much
            Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
            Dec 2005
            Diagnosis:
            IC
            Cysto/Hydro:
            Dec 2005
            Other Conditions:
            Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
            Meds for IC:
            Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
            Alternative Treatments
            Physical therapy for 8 weeks, Acupuncture (just started).
            Other Meds:
            Skelaxin (as needed)
            Didn't work:
            Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
            Tried:
            Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Comment

Working...
            X