Benzodiazapines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benzodiazapines

Ok, I'm sure I did not spell that right. I really think this class of drugs helps a lot with the pain-I started on Ativan and am now on Clonopin. They calm down the nervous system and then pain meds work better. Of course I know docs don't like to prescribe them.

These seem a little contraversial on this board. I do take them, though, and pain medication as well.
    Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

Comment

i only have one thing to say about the benzos/klonopin. be careful,they can get to be addictive and hard to get off of when you are ready to. i was using them for anxiety and i had to stop them.
      Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
      Zoloft- one once a day
      Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
      Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
      tramadol-allergic
      DMSO treatments(5-6)
      probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
      AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
      Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
      Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
      Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
      where there is hatred, let me sow love;
      when there is injury, pardon;
      where there is doubt, faith;
      where there is despair, hope;
      where there is darkness, light;
      and where there is sadness, joy.
      Grant that I may not so much seek
      to be consoled as to console;
      to be understood, as to understand,
      to be loved as to love;
      for it is in giving that we receive,
      it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
      and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

There are several people who post regularly and take them --- hopefully you'll hear from them. The only one I have ever taken was Ativan, which my doctor prescribed for me for a short period after the death of a much loved family member.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I agree with Angela, having had recent personal experience of taking valium. Hope your doc gives you good advice about how to take them safely - am sure they will as doctors are always very cautious with that class of drugs. I'd better not such anything else, as Teresa is right - it HAS become quite a controversial topic in the past. Good luck Lindeee. x

Comment

I took Clonopin for a yr during a extremely stressful time in my life. I tapered with NO side effects.

Comment

I don't think any of us should have to hide what we take and is effective for us because someone else on the board has a differing opinion and has scared us all into not talking about them. That is really sad and not what this board is for. We are supposed to be here to help each other but it does seem that lately a lot of medical advice is being given. This makes me very sad as this board was a great source of help for me in the early days of my IC. I stay here so I can hopefully encourage others with dealing with the diagnosis of IC.

I also took ativan after a sudden death in my family and it helped me function at a terrible time in my life. I take valium daily and don't have any problems. Some may have had trouble with them in their past, so yes they can be a problem. Everyone has different experiences. I was one of the people that were jumped on the last time this subject was raised.
              Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
              http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
              Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
              http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

fivefoottwo

I agree wholeheartedly with sailawaygrl. All of us are different and our bodies require different medicines. I was agoraphobic for over a year and even therapy couldn't get me out of my house. My doctor prescribed Xanax due to my family history. My mother and 5 of 6 siblings suffer from some form of anxiety making a good case for this panic/anxiety syndrome being genetically linked.

I would like to hear from people who have had success using Elavil. This is my uro doc's first attempt at treatment as he said he found Elavil to be the most successful. I might also add that my IC was diagnosed due to a lack of any other findings. Even my bladder was found to be 'fantastic looking' after cystoscopy was done. All symptoms start as urethral and occasionally are mixed with frequent urination. Presently I am taking one 10 mg tab at night. I can increase to 20 at night and 10 in the a.m. if symptoms continue. Flares seem to occur every two weeks or so regardless of diet but I deal with plenty of stress regularly.

The Elavil seems to be causing no side effects except for some very minimal drowsiness. Anyone out there using the same drug and getting relief with only urethral discomfort?

Comment

I too take Klonopin twice daily and have been doing so for 15 years, different strokes for different folks. I'm not sure I care what anyone thinks of me taking this type of meds it has gotten me back outside and I can now enjoy life. Sailaway, thanks for always posting I truly enjoy reading your post and you've been very helpful to me with my new dx of IC.
                  IC diagnosis 3 weeks ago.
                  Vesicare 10 mg once daily
                  IBS and Gerd-Zegerid
                  IC diet
                  Elmiron 100 mg three daily
                  Hydroxyzine 25 mg at night
                  Amitriptyline 10mg at night
                  Diovan 60/12.5 daily
                  Topral 50 mg daily
                  Zoloft 100 mg at night
                  Klonopin .5 twice daily

Comment

I was on Klonopin 0.5 mg up to 3 times a day, and was recently changed to xanax 0.5 mg up to 3 times a day. My anxiety has been worse, but I realize the xanax really helps with the anxiety better. I also noticed it does help with pain more than the klonopin did. I don't see the thing with addiction to pills. I use them as directed, and it does help. The xanax makes me a bit more 'mellow' than the klonopin, but I feel it enables me to take less pain meds than usual and still have help. Hope this makes sense. To me benzodiazepines are a good class of drugs, and are useful for people who suffer from bad anxiety. I had developed severe anxiety due to IC, and this is helping me cope along with being a part of my pain management routine. I used to hate admitting I had this anxiety problem, that I had to. I never wanted to be on the medication, but I realize that this disorder is hard to deal with. Luckily my uro understands and gives me lee-way with taking these medications.

Hope anyone can find relief in any way possible as well.

Erin
                    24 year old Ph.D student in Organic Chemistry

Loves to listen to music, play with my animals (cat, fish, 2 hamsters), and live life to the fullest each and every day.

My blog (just started):

http://imaginenoworries.blogspot.com/

Medications:
                    Elavil 25mg (helped with nighttime urination-used to be 7 or more times a night, now just once)
                    Cymbalta 60mg
                    Gabapentin (Neurontin) (3200mg/day)
                    Zyrtec 10mg
                    Xanax 0.5mg up to 3 times a day(spasms, anxiety)
                    Uribel
                    Macrobid 100mg (only on days when doing an instill)
                    Albuterol
                    Yaz Birth Control (3 months on birth control, then period)
                    Pelvic floor therapy
                    Valium 5 mg (inserted vaginally)
                    MScontin 30 mg (3 times a day)
                    Percocet 10/325mg (every 6 hours)
                    TENS Therapy, CVS machine, 30 minutes once or twice a day
                    Sanctura XR 60 mg (to help control severe bladder spasms that are causing urinary retention episodes and enable normal bladder sensations)

*** 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 ounce glass of water up to 4 times a day*****

Instill:

Currently doing hyaluronic acid instillations (cystistat-6 instillations, once a week, already had 4...not sure if helping)

Used to do these:

Solu-Cortef (act-o-vial) 100 mg: 2 mL
                    Marcaine (bupivicaine) 0.5 % 25 mL
                    20,000 units Heparin
                    3 mL sodium bicarbonate

Diagnoses: Moderate IC, scoliosis, asthma, ovarian cysts, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, Fowler's syndrome (mild) 'Central Sensitivity Syndrome.'

Comment

I took Xanax for a little over 2-1/2 years. I started weaning off of it in January. If all goes as planned, I should take my last dose on May 31st.

A lot People here take either Elavil or Tofranil, as they are both tricyclic antidepressants that help a lot of IC patients. I take Tofranil, 50 mgs. at bedtime and 25 mgs. each morning. Can't really say as to whether it has helped urethrally, but I think it has been helpful overall with the IC.

Comment

I take 0.5 mg Klonopin as needed, which is every day, and it helps a bit. Especially if you're in so much pain, can't take Vicodin because you're at work, etc. I prefer 0.5 mg Xanax though. Especially at night, sleep like a baby
                        Dg. with IC 2/15/10

Other conditions: depression, ADHD, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS-C.

Medications I'm on: Vyvanse 70mg, Xanax 1 mg as needed, Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain, Microgestin 1/20 continuously.

Supplements I'm taking: Chondroitin Sulfate, N-acetyl-glucosamine, MSM 3gr/day, Pancreatin, B-5, Ester-C, and marshmallow root tea

Comment

Working...
                        X