Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amitriptyline and constipation

Hi:
    I have been on Elavil for over 1 year. I started on 2.5 mg and worked my way up to 50mg. It helped me, but I would still have terrible flares and for sure did not go into remission. My side effects have been dry mouth and some weight gain. Now, at my urologists urging, I have now gone up to 75mg in the past week. Since then, I have been having a lot of constipation. I didn't have this at 50mg, so I find it a bit hard to believe that the additional 25mg is making me constipated... but I am on no other medications so I don't know what else it could be ( I stopped taking Lyrica about a month ago.)
    Have any of you Elavil users had constipation and if so, might you share any remedies you have found helpful to avoid this uncomfortable condition.
    Diagnosed with IC 6/05
    Developed Vulvar Pain 8/09

Medications I am on:
    Elavil 25mg at bedtime

Assuming you already have a good fiber intake, add magnesium capsules to your diet, it will offset the constipating effects. It is a "natural" stool softener. Ducolax sodium, an over the counter stool softener will work too but I prefer to use the magnesium as most people are somewhat lacking in this mineral.

It works for me. Start with only 1 capsule and work up from there as too much magnesium can cause diarhea.
    Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
    Macrobid after sex
    Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
    synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
    AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
    Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

I am only taking 10 mg of Elavil, if I go up to 20mg I get bad constipation. In the beginning it did constipate me, I took colace and Miralax until it got under control. I already eat a high fiber diet.

Suzanne

Comment

Did the Lyrica help?

Sorry to hear about constipation. When I took Lyrica and was so constipated I developed anal fissures and bled for months I took docusate and psyllium. I find the metamucil contains flavouring agents that irritate my bladder so I would avoid that. My question to you is if you thought the Lyrica helped or not? I felt it helped sometimes, but would still have flares, and I didn't want to keep increasing the dose because of the weight gain. I am only taking 25 mg now and hurt again (also started Prometrium and could be that) and am considering just discontinuing in altogether. I started using it for sleep and only found it helped with pain incidentally. Used to take 100mg a night, also used to fit a size 6, but those were the good 'ole days.

Comment

I take Elavil also but a much lower dose than u. 12.5 mgs. I cut mine in half. I found Flaxseed it is natural it is in ur grocery store. It helps w/ constipation. You just mix it w/ your food. I mix it w/ my sons Ranch dressing at lunch and he will have a bowel movement by evening. You prolly can get it in a health food store too. It is good and natural. Good luck I hope this helps
          Coopsmom

"Through God All Things Are Possible"

Topamax for Migraines 50
          Elavil 12.5 mg
          Lidocaine 2% 10 cc
          Sodium Bicarb 8.4% 5 cc
          Heprain 20,000 Units
          Hydroxyzine 25 mgs
          Valium Sup. 10 mgs.
          Phenegran 25 mgs.
          Amerge 2.5 mgs.
          Lidocaine Gel 2%