Getting very scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting very scared

I have become sensitive to the doxepin tricyclic I am on after 11 years.

I have tried Elmiron, hydroxyzine, vistaril and instills all of which have had adverse side effects.

My uro suggested I try Amitriyptaline, however my therapist says that usually if you are sensitive to one drug, that taking another in the same family will more than likely result in the same sensitivity.

I am super scared, I am running out of things to try and I am in huge amounts of pain, bladder awareness and frequency.

Has anyone developed a sensitivity to one tricyclic but had good results with another?
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
    Meds for IC:
    Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
    Alternative Treatments
    Physical therapy for 8 weeks, Acupuncture (just started).
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
    Tried:
    Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

You might want to give it a try with a very low dose. If you do react, it will be out of your system rapidly --- and it just might help.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thank you Donna, I think I will do so. It's worth a try.
      Live Well
      Love Much
      Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
      Dec 2005
      Diagnosis:
      IC
      Cysto/Hydro:
      Dec 2005
      Other Conditions:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
      Meds for IC:
      Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
      Alternative Treatments
      Other Meds:
      Skelaxin (as needed)
      Didn't work:
      Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
      Tried:
      Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Comment

Hi, Shamay ~ I know my Mom has many allergies to meds but sometimes when we've tried a different med within the same family she is ok...we're thinking it might be the "fillers" used. Just a thought.

Hope you find your answer soon and like Donna said, try a low dose first just in case but just maybe you'll do fine!

Blessings,
        Never heard of IC til suspected....Never knew so many suffer from it. Praying for a cure. I've found answers...so can you...keep the hope.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery of surgery for bladder susp & hysto: painful/urge/freq urination up to 50 times a day, pain walking, even water hurts.
        8/2009 Susp IC; 1/2010 Treatment began; 2/2010 Diag PFD, PT, Surg remove mesh; 5/2010 Surg, 2nd bladder repair, vag vault/sm int prolapse repair, IC confirmed in surg; 7/2010 Diag Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones,
        8/2010 Surg gallbladder
        TREATMENTS (updated 4/15)
        IC Diet since 8/2009 (Able to vary 4/15)
        Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills 1xDay
        Aloe Vera Capsules, (2) 2xDay, Loratadine 1xDay
        Pantoprazole, Prelief, Pyridium up to 3xDay, Premarin Cream 3xWeek
        *DISCONTINUED since feeling better: Celexa 10mg daily*, Fiber supp*,
        Gabapentin 12/2011 worked well *, Macrodantin 100mg after instill*, Probiotics*, PT-PFD*, Valium Vag Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5mg *
        PROB MEDS: Elavil, up to 50mg 1/2011 ret&hbp, Urelle ret, Vesicare ret

Comment

Thank you nanawaggs, I picked it up today. Will keep my fingers crossed!
          Live Well
          Love Much
          Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
          Dec 2005
          Diagnosis:
          IC
          Cysto/Hydro:
          Dec 2005
          Other Conditions:
          Meds for IC:
          Alternative Treatments
          Other Meds:
          Skelaxin (as needed)
          Didn't work:
          Tried:

Comment

When you say you have become sensitive what do you mean? I only ask because I had an allergic reaction to nortriptyline, hives. When I asked my doctor about trying another she said I couldn't try another tricyclic because it was in the same family but when I asked the pharmacist she said I'd have to try them to see.....so I don't know what the right answer is.
            Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
            Macrobid after sex
            Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
            synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
            AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
            AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
            Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

Hi cmclien,

After 11 years of taking it, I started to notice about 2 months ago after upping my dose as my therapist recommended, that I started having trembling through out my body, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea and chills. So I decreased the dosage from 40mg to 30mg and the feelings I had lessened but were still there, so I decreased to 25mg and they lessened but were still there, I went down to 20mg and pretty much only had the trembling.

I have also come to realize that a one of my other symptoms has lessened now that I am down to 10mg. My irregular heart beat has significantly lessened.

Another strange thing I have noticed over the past few months, is that I take it at bedtime and about an hour after taking it I seem to be wide awake even if I was sleepy when I took it, so am wondering if it's starting to work in reverse now. *shrug*

I guess I wont know if the Amitryptaline will be better for me until I try it, although I am super nervous. :/
              Live Well
              Love Much
              Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
              Dec 2005
              Diagnosis:
              IC
              Cysto/Hydro:
              Dec 2005
              Other Conditions:
              Meds for IC:
              Alternative Treatments
              Other Meds:
              Skelaxin (as needed)
              Didn't work:
              Tried:

Comment

Thats too bad. I know what you mean, the nortriptyline made my heart palpitate, not irregular but that thumping you can hear and feel in your chest, it was awful. I hope the amitriptyline is better for you. Start real small, you can always cut the pill in half with that one.
                Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
                Macrobid after sex
                Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
                synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
                AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
                AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
                Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

It's so strange how medications work... I wish there was a one pill fixes it all kind of thing, but sadly that isn't the case.

I hope so too, I think I will cut them in half to start with, although I just can't seem to talk myself into taking it right now lol.
                  Live Well
                  Love Much
                  Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
                  Dec 2005
                  Diagnosis:
                  IC
                  Cysto/Hydro:
                  Dec 2005
                  Other Conditions:
                  Meds for IC:
                  Alternative Treatments
                  Other Meds:
                  Skelaxin (as needed)
                  Didn't work:
                  Tried:

Comment

Working...
                  X