Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will low dose of elavil help anxiety & depression too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will low dose of elavil help anxiety & depression too?

My Uro just prescribed 10mg of elavil to try for my urgency and pain (PFD & VV) and if I don't get any side effects, then I can increase it to 20mg. My anxiety and depression seem to be worse right now...with such a low dose, will it help this too or should I be taking another med to go along with this? I think this is what some of other IC'ers do? I am new with IC. I have such fear with taking more meds because of the side effects. I take Elmiron (2 months now) and a sleeping pill at night. I already have constipation and have found with taking other anti-depressions (celexa & remeron) seem to give me urine retention so I stopped taking them but I really need to get a grip on this and just don't know what to do? Any advise would really help!!! Thanks!

You have to take 50-100mg for it to be a therapeutic dose for anxiety or depression. Your Uro certainly can raise the dosage. I take 50mg. They usually don't like to go above 75mg. If that doesn't work out for you, your PCP can prescribe an additional antidepressant that won't interact with the 10 mg of elavil you're taking.
    Your Friend,
    Michelle

Diagnosed: 10/16/09

Elmiron, 100mg 2x per day
    Imipramine, 10 mg per day
    Diazepam 10 mg for sleep
    Zyrtec
    Zovia, birth control (ongoing-no periods)
    Probiotics
    Hydrocodone, 2 pills a day (at any time of day)

Comment

Thanks for the scoop Michelle, you mentioned that they don't like to go above the 75mgs, is it because of the side effects? I am a little concerned with one about having difficulty urinating? and I really don't want that to happen...that is one of the reasons I am leery to take it but I am going to start tonight...otherwise, how will I ever know!?

Comment

No, it's not b/c of the side effects. Uro's don't like to treat anxiety, so they won't go over that amount. If you already are peeing way too much, don't worry about the medicine making you pee less. It's a good thing. It helps you to hold more urine in before having to pee. What happens is that your bladder gets used to you feeling like you have to pee when you only have like 4 oz in your bladder. The medicine helps you to train your bladder to wait until you have more urine before you pee. Now, I pee every few hours instead of every half hour (which is like only 7 times a day!!!). It's been really helpful to me along with the Elmiron for both pain and frequency.
        Your Friend,
        Michelle

Diazepam 10 mg for sleep
        Zyrtec
        Probiotics

Comment

PS - I found that it also helps with my IBS. I don't have to go #2 except maybe once a day!!!
          Your Friend,
          Michelle

Diazepam 10 mg for sleep
          Zyrtec
          Probiotics

Comment

Thank you so much for all your info...after reading your reply, I just took one (after having them for over a week!)

Comment

Working...
            X