Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can elavil (amitriptyline) irritate your bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can elavil (amitriptyline) irritate your bladder?

I haven't posted in years because I've been doing quite well. But, I'm popping back on to ask a question. Has elavil (amitriptyline) ever irritated your bladder?

I had some routine dental work done that caused a new nerve pain condition. Elavil and Neurontin are the chief treatments. With my doctors ok, this past week I tried a tiny amount of Elavil (that I had in my stash from prior attemps) Amazingly, I didn't have retention. So, I upped the dose to 15 mgs for the past two days. Again, no retention and ta da the dental nerve pain is nearly gone.

HOWEVER, I've noticed that my bladder has been a bit irritated the last few days. It's got the sandpapery feeling. It's not an intense flare, but it's annoying. Of course, I'll try going off of it and then going back on it to see what happens....but I'd love to know if others were irritated by elavil.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mom_in_ma; 07-29-2011, 02:28 AM.
    mom_in_ma

What color are the Elavil tablets? Just asking because I order all my medicines in white tablets, dye free. I've had some trouble with meds I've been fine with in white tablet form, and then the pharmacy gives me a generic version with red dye + bam -IC flare.
    I hope you feel better soon. I'm happy you had such a nice long stretch of remission - it's a good sign that it will happen again.
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Thanks Kadi. As it turned out...the elavil wasn't irritating my bladder. It calmed down on it's own...so it was an anomaly. Phew. That was the good news. However, over the past week I've developed extreme anxiety from the med....to the point that I really can't continue to take it. I've wanted to jump right out of my skin! I'm talking with my doctor on Monday and formulating a new plan.

I'm optimistic that if I was able to take a trycyclic and pain meds without retention this time around....then I might be able to tolerate the anti-seizure meds like Neurontin. We'll see. Crossing fingers.
      mom_in_ma

Comment

I had such bad retention with elavil! It was the first med I tried! So I would sa y yah it does irritate! lol

I have read many posts and lots of yours in success story and emiron threads mom_in_ma! Glad to see your doing well still! Please come back and write wehn your still feeling well it makes us all (well me for sure) happy when I see happy people doing well and living normally with IC. Hope is the last thing to go and I NEVER wanna lose hope.

Jenn
        28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Elavil also made me feel like I could jump out of my skin. The worst anxiety and insomnia I ever had is when I tried this med. It always amazes me how some people can take this med and feel ok on it. There may be other tricyclics you could tolerate beside elavil. I had been on a low dose of Surmontyl (an oldie with milder side effects) and I was able to tolerate this one - and it did help my bladder.

Comment

Working...
          X