Best drug for anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best drug for anxiety

I am wondering what has worked well for you all. Currently I am on Benzo's, which I do not want to be on long term. I have tried Buspar, which gave me an IC Belly and Lexapro and Prozac, both of which gave me GI issues that increased my urgency. My doctor wants to try Cymbalta, but that is very expensive... and I already pay enough now for Elmiron, Nascort (nasal steroid for allergies), Zyrtec and Elavil. Was thinking about increasing the Elavil from 20mg/day to a dosage for anxiety, but I am not sure if I can handle the side effects.

I have an rx for Lorazepam (Ativan) to use as needed. I have no issues with it and the cost is very cheap.
    (\__/)
    (o.O )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

zoloft works for my anxiety and depression as well as acupuncture,meditation
      Newly IC diagnosed as of February 2011.

Medications I'm on that seem to work:
      Zoloft- one once a day
      Butrans pain patch 5 mcg (THANK GOD FOR WHOEVER INVENTED THIS!SO MUCH PAIN RELIEF ITS UNREAL,I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL UNLESS I STRESS OR SCREW UP ON THE DIET)

Failed Meds:
      Elmiron-after 4 months,digestive side effects got to be too much
      tramadol-allergic
      DMSO treatments(5-6)
      probiotics

THERAPIES:gardening,cooking,IC Diet,Counseling,Lots of warm baths,stress reduction,heating pad or ice packs,meditation/deep breathing,listening to relaxing music,having fun on pain free days,drinking chamomile or peppermint tea,pelvic floor physical therapy
      AROMATHERAPY-candles,incense
      Village Naturals Aches and Pains Peppermint Bath Salts
      Johnson and Johnsons Lavender Melt Away Stress Body Wash/Lotion

ACUPUNCTURE/HERBS
      Significant pain relief so far.

MAY TRY:yoga,swimming/hydrotherapy and anti-candida diet if i can kick my sugar addiction
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ***TO MY IC SISTERS AND BROTHERS:WE ARE OUR OWN ADVOCATES!,PLEASE DO AS MUCH RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN AS POSSIBLE AND TRY DIFFERENT TREATMENTS TO GET WELL.NOT ONE TREATMENT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.MOST IMPORTANTLY,TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE,DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVITY/NEGATIVE PEOPLE AND NEVER,EVER GIVE UP!***

Add me on facebook Angela Hasic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
      where there is hatred, let me sow love;
      when there is injury, pardon;
      where there is doubt, faith;
      where there is despair, hope;
      where there is darkness, light;
      and where there is sadness, joy.
      Grant that I may not so much seek
      to be consoled as to console;
      to be understood, as to understand,
      to be loved as to love;
      for it is in giving that we receive,
      it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
      and it is in dying [to ourselves] that we are born to eternal life.

Comment

In the past Ativan, or Benadryl or Prozac are what helped me, along with CBT training (cognitive behavior training). All the antidepressants gave me stomach issues but Prozac seemed to be the least irritating if taken in small doses. I found out I was a low dose responder and only needed very small amounts of anything so when they kept trying to give me generic dosages they were too high and I had too many side effects. They seem to have this theory that "one dose fits all" but never take into account body weight, metabolism, etc.

Comment

I take Zoloft and 25 m of Elavil. I take Zoloft in the morning and Elavil at night, doesn't make me sleepy. They sure give me a sweet tooth.

Comment

Nortriptyline (similar to Elavil) didn't work for me at all. I've done much better on Zoloft for anxiety.
            ----------------------
            -Amanda
            34 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
            diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010

Current meds:
            Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Gabapentin 600 mg, Myrbetriq 25mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Mircrogestin, capsaicin cream (for vulva)
            Other past treatments:
            IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
            Tried and didn't work:
            Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture

Comment

I have a terrible problem with dry mouth since I started taking Zoloft and Elavil. When I was just taking Elavil I didn't have this problem. They are working well for me so I hate to switch. Any suggestions?

Comment

I found that klonopin has helped me tremdously. I have been taking 1 mg in the morning, the oral dissolving tabs. Also, I know you said that you can't take lexapro, but once I got used to the med, the results were amazing for anxiety. hth
                -Pammylynn Rose
                Wishing everyone a pain free bladder day!

Painful symptoms start in May 2011
                Diagnosed with IC in Aug 2011

MEDICATIONS
                Elmiron
                Axert (only for rare migraines)
                Strict IC diet
                Gluten/dairy/egg free diet

Comment

Working...
                X