Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elavil hunger?

Hi all,
    I'm noticing about 1-2 hours after taking my 20mg Elavil that I get very hungry.
    It doesn't seem to matter how much I've had for dinner, and eating a snack doesn't satisfy - the sensation continues. It's a very annoying side effect. Though I'm telling myself that it's not real hunger, it's hard to ignore. It lasts several hours each night. And while I'm telling myself it's not real, sometimes I eat something to try to stop it, but it usually doesn't help and then I've eaten something I didn't need. This is not helping my weight loss efforts.

I've asked my doctor & pharmacist, but they just shrug. I can't go off it. It's probably the most effective IC treatment I have. Before Elavil, I was voiding 60x a day. So, I'm stuck with it. Any suggestions?

I tried hot herbal tea tonight. It tasted good and it helped a little, but not much.

Has anyone else experienced this? And did you find a solution?
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 50mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Just curious. Does it make you sleepy at all? I have found for myself (so I looked it up and was surprised at the number of people who were like me) that if a medication makes me sleepy (IE Benadryl) I will get the munchies. I KNOW I am not for real hungry but I still want to eat just the same.

Comment

It used to make me sleepy, but since I've been on it almost 8 years, not anymore.
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I am on Cymbalta and I have the same issue. I get real hungry--I have gain 8 pounds in less than 5 weeks. (I needed to - so that is a good thing). I have to have fig newtons I can get the whole package in one setting; another time I will have a big bowl of vanilla ice cream. and also all of a sudden I am eating peanut butter by the boat load!! People at work think its funny because I usually eat like a bird and hardly ever snack.

Comment

Kadi, I just got off the scales my self to learn I've gained 5 lbs in 3 weeks, it has to be the meds, but I guess hunger is better than pain for me, but I do have to find away not to eat . Maybe we can come up with a plan to make our brain think it's full.
          IC diagnosis 3 weeks ago.
          Vesicare 10 mg once daily
          IBS and Gerd-Zegerid
          IC diet
          Elmiron 100 mg three daily
          Hydroxyzine 25 mg at night
          Amitriptyline 10mg at night
          Diovan 60/12.5 daily
          Topral 50 mg daily
          Zoloft 100 mg at night
          Klonopin .5 twice daily

Comment