Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antihistamines + success?

Hi all

I've been intrigued by the posts about using antihistamines for IC so yesterday (after a few bad days) I decided to try Benedryl - I have very exaggerated reactions to these type of medications, so my hubby gave me 1/2 of a 25 mg pill...it seemed to help, but I was comatose for about 14 hours off and on (insane!)...

how many of you take these and have results? and also, how do you cope with the extreme drowsiness?? can you take the non-drowsy versions of them and still have success?...do you have to take them daily or just on a need to basis?...

I have a mild case of IC but when I have flare ups, I do need something sometimes...pyridium causes me great grief (very bad abdominal cramping, nausea and diarrhea)...so anything else that gives me relief I am willing to try!...

My mom gets knocked out by Benadryl pretty bad. One of the things she does is take a children's dose of the children's dye free formula. You might try that and see if it makes you less drowsy.

I've noticed that hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril), that many of us ICers are prescribed, makes me a whole lot less drowsy than Benadryl. I hate how I feel on Benadryl ------- unless I take it right before bed. LOL I was still drowsy for several days when I first started Vistaril, but it eventually went away.
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I actually gave in and picked up some Claratin non drowsy 24 hr stuff today - seems to work just as good but doesn't make me fall asleep on the toilet during a stint in there!!

here's hoping it continues to work for me - I live in Canada so we don't have Atarax or Visatril (sp?) - it's usually OTC brands, and a couple of similar ones via perscription...but this one says not to use while pregnant or breastfeeding, so that might be out soon enough once we begin TTC...

Comment

Good luck - I hope it helps your symptoms!
        Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Benedryl knocks me out. I've taken it before bed for years just b/c I sleep so good. I can take 50mg and sleep the entire night and still be fully functioning by 6am.

I recently switched to hydroxyzine this week. I asked my urogyn for a script. I've noticed I'm not sleeping as well though. It doesn't knock me out at all like the Benedryl! I'm still only on 10mg though - have to work up to 25mg. Maybe that would be better for you. I feel relaxed, but not like I have to go to sleep.

I'm new here, but from what I've read hydroxyzine is a big componant in getter better. If you can tolerate it - 10mg - I think its a good idea.

Comment

I started with 25mgs and thought I was feeling better but that faded away so I bumped it up to 50mgs a day but still havent gotten the relief I was hoping for. It doesnt seem to make me tired at all so I am going to start doing 75mgs a day and see if that does anything. Im still trying to figure out if this will help once its in my system for awhile. I have never tried Benadryl, but I would assume they are both for blocking histamines. Maybe I should switch.

Comment

so far with the regular dose non drowsy Claratin i'm doing ok, but I think i could benefit from something stronger...have an appt next monday with my doctor to discuss this (i tried this on my own after researching it online and on here, pyridium had to go!)...

the perscription hydroxyzine - is that deemed safe for TTC/pregnant women?...

not sure what we have perscription wise in Canada for an equivilant...will find out next week I guess...

wish I could tolerate the Benedryl! it is just too much for me though, and I need to work and be functional, no time to sleep like that!

Comment

If I understand standard treatment for IC with hydroxyzine starts with a low dose and you work upward to at the top 80mg...and you find what works...after years of having it build up in your system you can go downward.
                For me after years of taking hydroxyzine I was able to get good results with as little as 20-30 mg.
                It might be a good idea may be to see how your urologist might find is his or her best idea for how to get it to work for you. This is what worked for me...I did find that when I went with 10 mg tablets I had more flexibility and the 40 mg tablet would just sit in my stomach and cause pain...another reason for the change. Also the liquid hydroxyzine works well if it gives you stomach problems...if you are diabetic like myself though there is sugar in this prescription.
                Good luck.
                Ruthie

Comment

Could Ic Be Linked To A Fooe Allergy

My Uncle Is A Pediatrician And He Said When A Child Is Diagnosed With Something Similar, They Are Sent To A Food Allergist And Tested.
                  I Am New, So I Don't Know That Much About This.
                  I Took Benedryl Last Night And It Seemed To Help!
                  Take Care!\
                  Gwen
                  ** ON THE ABOVE TITLE, I MEANT TO SAY FOOD ALLERGY, I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO CHANGE IT!!****

Comment

I take Zyrtec for allergies, not IC, but I was told by my doc that it is the next generation of Atarax. They modified atarax to be non-drowsy, and that's Zyrtec, is what he told me. So the uro says it should work just as well. (Don't know if it's helping because I was on it before).

So, if you must have non-drowsy, maybe ask your doc about Zyrtec? (although I must take it twice a day instead of once, and it made me drowsy at first, but improved after a few weeks)

My uro said one reason they give atarax instead of zyrtec is for the drowsiness affect to try and help you sleep through the night!

girl

Comment

if you look at the active ingrediants in benedryl and tylenol pm they're the same...
                      i started taking benedryl instead of tylenol pm a few years ago because it just has the one ingredient that makes you sleepy and tpm has 2 ingredients, one that makes you sleepy and a pain one like aspirin or whatever.
                      love.life.

Comment

I started taking Benedryl at night b/f I was ever diagnosed w/IC. I just happened on it once and realize it was helping my cramping. Then after being diagonsed w/IC the Dr prescribed Hydroxyzine 25 mg. On nights when I really hurt I take 50 mg. I do notice to be very sleepy and can't hardly get out of the bed in the am, but at least I can get a good nights rest. It is worth it to be a little tired.

Hope you find something that works for you
                        The happiest people don't neccessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything that comes their way!!

Meds:
                        IC: Elmiron, Tofranil, Hydroxyzine, Prosed DS, stool softener
                        UC: Asacol

Comment

I was recently put on Atarax (liquid form, 2mg three times a day). I was groggy the first day or two... but after that I wasn't. I have been feeling better and I really feel like this med is the reason. I couldn't take it this morning and I was having more trouble today than the last several. Just took it a couple of hours ago (and got my Elmiron/lidocaine instill) and I'm feeling better.

I would definately ask about it (Atarax, generic name: Hydroxyzine I think). I am too sensitive to Benadryl (hence Tylenol PM)!
                          [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Not sure how to start a new question

Hi,

I have been on Elmiron for about 3 years. I always had to urinate frequently but not to the point I didn't make it to school or work. Now is a different story and my doctor was prescribed Elavil as well as Visitral (Due to my begging)..My questions are (since he did not help me) when should I take these pills for the best results. what is the normal dosage, and after how long would you know if they are going to help.? Also if anyone had any other suggestions on what to take for all the time urgency..

Cory22

P.S. I am in the process of finding a new urologist who actually cares. True story: When my ex urologist and I were talking he mentioned the injections that you could have for a 6 week period, saying this was basically the last resort. Stunned I asked him what if it doesn't work? He used his hand to slit his throat and said pray and laughed. This is no word of a lie. I left there crying.

It would be so nice if someone could communicate with me,,,

thanks
                            Cory22

Comment

Cory, wow, how uncaring and unprofessional. I have a great uro. He's always been open and caring. Find you a new one soon as possible. It's a good thing your here. You can take notes on different therapies your interested in and discuss them with your new doctor when you find one.

I did get some relief from hydroxyzine. I don't really notice too much from Benadryl, although I'm going to get some today.

Comment

Working...
                              X