Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone found antihistamines cause flares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone found antihistamines cause flares?

I have noticed that antihistamines cause my flares sometimes. I get really bad allergies--I live in the midwest=they are everywhere here. But everytime I take something for them-from the Dr--always different, I seem to get flares. Maybe it is the weather changing but I just a thought.

Asmashly

Yes, I always flare very badly with Atarax, Benadryl or any other antihistamine. Basically anything that gives me a dry mouth, makes my bladder hurt a lot too. I have no clue why.

Blessings,
    Lori

Comment

Most antihistamines cause me to flare but seems I read that Singulair was one that should help IC. Hope that's right. I know decongestants are a no no. Best of luck!

Comment

atarax

Hi there.
        Nothing has relieved my IC symptoms better than atarax. however, i just got a refill two days ago and the pills were different. they used to be small and light blue with no coating and the new pills are a little larger and coated with an orange color. I took them two nights in a row and I honestly think they made me worse! Normally atarax is my savior. Is it possible that such a minor change as this could cause me to react adversely? Do you think if I talked to the pharmacist they would or could switch them out for me? I'm always nervous when dealing with health care professionals b/c I'm scared they'll think I'm neurotic or crazy. Has anyone had the same issue?
        Lee Ann
        Current Rx Meds:
        Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
        Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
        Hooray for babies!
        Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
        Didn't work for me:
        Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
        IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

re

i have no problem with Claritin...or Zyrtex-D
          Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
          Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
          search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
          AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
          Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
          PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

HI! I'm ok with one Claritin a day.......but any other brand of antihistimine makes my bladder hurt and flare. The worst part is......that Claritin doesn't always help my allergies, I don't think it's strong enough. Good luck to you! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
            Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
            Dx'd Hypothyroid
            Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
            June 2007
            Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
            First Cysto 1979
            First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
            Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
            Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
            Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
            Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
            Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
            Bladder surgery 2000
            Dx'd: IBS 2000
            Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
            Laminectomy 1989
            Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
            I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Thanks for the thread Asmashly. I just got a new puppy for my son for Christmas. A Pomeranian which I love however, I noticed that her fur makes me sneeze sometimes. I was prescribed Allegra 180mg which seems to help but, I think it too creates flare-ups with me as well. I believe you have answered my question. I didn't think it was that but, the more I think about it I haven't had any flare-ups until I started taking it. Maybe I will try something else to see what happens.
              Learn to dance in the rain. :woohoo:

http://dogphoria.com/?member=Zoey2

Comment

Allegra

I am on Allegra and I haven't noticed that it makes me any worse. I don't think it makes me any better, either. But it did help with my allergies and I have noticed a slight decrease in flares (until I got a period that just won't go away due to my Depo shot!)
                Rachel
                DX's:
                IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
                three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
                Currently using:
                Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
                Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
                I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

Comment

Asmashly,

I, too, used to live in the midwest and I have since lived a number of places and I can tell you that I doubt there is a worst place in the world for allergies than the midwest so I deeply sympathize.

I, personally, find that antihistimines help me in general. I flare when my allergies are bad. Period. If I get hayfever, I will get a flare and I will get a migraine. The three always occur together, whether I medicate or not. In general antihistimines help my flares along with my allergies. (unfortunately they make migraines worse... can't get the one miracle fix all drug...) but they do help my flares. I take claritin generally. Benedryl at night, if I need it.

Comment

i jsut started on atarax 2 days ago, and noticed both mornings that i had more burning than usual. But i'm going to stick with it. i remember i almost gave up on elavil because of the aweful side effects, but i stuck with it and most side effects went away and now elavil is my savior!
                    diagnosed IC Jan 2007 (though i feel i've had it mildly for years)
                    frequent UTIs
                    No frequency, just urgency and pain!

tramadol 50mg twice a day. this stuff works good for nerve pain!!!! (update, i'm down to mostly one pill a day now!)

Physical Therapy. if you have pelvic nerve pain or muscle pain, its worth a try. it helped me with the constant burning.

TENS may help a little

Cystoprotek might be helping as well. i'm getting better as time goes on and this could be why.

fish oil, herbal teas, skullcap (might try passionflower for nerves) I'm not very diet sensitive.

Went OFF elavil and nortryptiline (worked wonders, but didnt like the weight gain)

Comment

Catherer and IC

When I go to the Urologist they always take a clean catch with a catherer. I never have a problem until this last time. When it was being removed it hurt and now I am having a flare. It's been ove a week. Burning and pressure. The doctor had me back yeasterday to make sure I didn;t have an infection - nothing. He can't explain why the flare is so bad. I think it's from the catherer.

So far they suggested xanan to relax me but not much else. Anu ideas.?

Comment

You know, it is funny, I have been in a terrible flare for a while now and just started taking my hydroyxine about two weeks ago. I ran out, a while back and waited til I saw my URO and got a new script. I didn't take it last night thinking something is up, this morning, I woke up with terrible headache, and I believe I have some type of eye infection, goo coming out, scratchy, yuk, but my IC so far is not so bad, maybe I can't take the hydrox, and I guess I off to see my GP to get some eye drops, I am so tired of drs. I am working on getting into a pain dr. I think the lortab is not working anymore, and the tylenol in it makes my stomach have pains, I believe I need something without so much tylenol.

Comment

Working...
                        X