Atarax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atarax

My doctor just prescribed atarax and Lyrica. I'm afraid of side effects from meds. I've been taking Cystoprotek and following the diet. Are the extra meds necessary? Can the diet and Cystoprotek heal my bladder? Thanks!

Hi!! Unfort. the really only true medicine that will help rebuild the bladder lining right now is Elmiron that is FDA approved for IC.

Usually the Atarax is prescirbed to take at night to help sleep and the antihistmine in it acts to calm to the bladder down The Lryica is for nerve pain. It is not uncommon for newly diagnosed IC'ers to take Atarax in the beg to help with their symptoms.

But just to let you know some people can control their IC with the diet alone. But it is all up to you what treatments and meds you want to use
    God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
    www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
    Interstim Sept 2001
    1st InterStim Removal May 2005
    2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
    2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
    Hysterectomy 1999
    Tubes Tied 1997
    C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

Cystoprotek

You might be interested to know that Dr. T. the inventor of Cystoprotek advises patients to take Atarax with the product as he feels the combo of cystoprotek, and Atarax, and Elmiron is a winning combo. Atarax stops the mast cell formations, the other two build up the lining.
      You can read his reports yourself on this board under discussions.
      Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
      Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

Does atarax help with pain? thats my biggest problem. i dont even have frequency. elevil has helped, but i feel like i need more relief than i'm getting. my IC is mild, but i have a lot of pelvic nerve pain that makes me feel like i've fallen on a bike seat most of the time i dont even think its worth me trying elmiron because i dont feel like i have a real "lining" issue...mostly because diet doesnt really affect me.
        diagnosed IC Jan 2007 (though i feel i've had it mildly for years)
        frequent UTIs
        No frequency, just urgency and pain!

tramadol 50mg twice a day. this stuff works good for nerve pain!!!! (update, i'm down to mostly one pill a day now!)

Physical Therapy. if you have pelvic nerve pain or muscle pain, its worth a try. it helped me with the constant burning.

TENS may help a little

Cystoprotek might be helping as well. i'm getting better as time goes on and this could be why.

fish oil, herbal teas, skullcap (might try passionflower for nerves) I'm not very diet sensitive.

Went OFF elavil and nortryptiline (worked wonders, but didnt like the weight gain)

Comment

Hi Nicole,
          Have you tried Neurontin. I only have frequency- but my sister had the same pain you described and this is what her doctor prescribed to her. I know it is a heavy duty drug. But she in now in remission.
          Kat

Physical therapy/Breathing exercises
          I consider myself pretty much in remission.
          With only occasional flares brought on by menstrual problems

Cur
          rent Meds:
          Atarax
          Flexiril or Valium when needed
          Elmi
          ron
          Urispas
          Vitamin E
          Zyrtec
          Cysta Q
          Estriol in olive oil caps for VV
          Flexiril in Olive oil caps for VV

Diagnosed April '06 with IC
          Diagnosed November '07 with PFD and Vulvodynia

Comment

Does Atarax help with night time peeing? My pain is under control with the diet. I still have to get up at night to pee though. It's been so long since I've had a good night's sleep though!

Comment

Night time sleeping

Atarax is fantastic at helping you sleep through the night. If only I could take it during the day and still work
              It is a night time life saver ( in my opinion)
              Kat

Physical therapy/Breathing exercises
              I consider myself pretty much in remission.
              With only occasional flares brought on by menstrual problems

Cur
              rent Meds:
              Atarax
              Flexiril or Valium when needed
              Elmi
              ron
              Urispas
              Vitamin E
              Zyrtec
              Cysta Q
              Estriol in olive oil caps for VV
              Flexiril in Olive oil caps for VV

Diagnosed April '06 with IC
              Diagnosed November '07 with PFD and Vulvodynia

Comment

Definitely, Atarax helps with nighttime peeing. It's saved my sanity; I thought I was losing my mind, I couldn't think straight from exhaustion. I was going more than twenty times a night. Now, I go zero, one, two, maybe three times on a really bad night. The difference is unbelievable.
                Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Originally posted by kat820 View Post
                  Hi Nicole,
                  Have you tried Neurontin. I only have frequency- but my sister had the same pain you described and this is what her doctor prescribed to her. I know it is a heavy duty drug. But she in now in remission.
                  My doctor told me she hasnt had as much success with Nuerontin, and that Elavil has given her patients the most releif. i suppose i could still try it. I'm worried about sleepyness though. i'm one of the very lucky few who DOESNT GET TIRED WITH ELAVIL!!! yep, i can take 50 mgs in the morning and not be wiped out. She wont prescribe Lyrica yet because she says its too new of a drug and hasnt tried it yet.
                  diagnosed IC Jan 2007 (though i feel i've had it mildly for years)
                  frequent UTIs
                  No frequency, just urgency and pain!

tramadol 50mg twice a day. this stuff works good for nerve pain!!!! (update, i'm down to mostly one pill a day now!)

Physical Therapy. if you have pelvic nerve pain or muscle pain, its worth a try. it helped me with the constant burning.

TENS may help a little

Cystoprotek might be helping as well. i'm getting better as time goes on and this could be why.

fish oil, herbal teas, skullcap (might try passionflower for nerves) I'm not very diet sensitive.

Went OFF elavil and nortryptiline (worked wonders, but didnt like the weight gain)

Comment

Working...
                  X