Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vicki
    replied
    I have a terrible time with bleeding gums. My hygenist is always horrified and says I am not flossing enough. I keep telling her I do but I am still bleeding. I think she feels like I'm lying!

Leave a comment:

• NicoleB
    replied
    i actually DONT have a lot of allergies. for instance, my mom has terrible hay fever and outdoor allergies and i dont (though she said she got them later in life, so it will probably happen to me too). but i DO have little skin issues now and then. i've had one doc tell me eczema, and another tell me psoriasis. Either way, i used to have a very red itchy scalp from time to time, as well as wierd rashes pop up. Let me clarify that this was only every once in a while, so whatever i had, it was mild. Now that i've switched to all natural cosmetics and body care, i hardly have skin issues anymore. I just started atarax, and i wonder if it will even work for me because i have very little allergies, so i'm hoping and praying it will help.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    delayed food allergy

For some reason I stumbled on a site for a lab that has a very sophisticated delayed food allery test (NOT just the ELISA that requires only one drop of blood but atleast a tube I think). They send you a kit and your doctor has to sign it and order the blood draw with it and they claim insurance will usually pay out-of-network. They also claim money back if you don't get better. You have to eliminate everything your blood reactes to for six weeks and then you have to add each substance back every 4 days to check for reactions. Sounds tough and it is expensive but it might be worth while if you think your IC is caused by allergies (your IC would probably respond to allergy medications like Zyrtec, benedryl, etc.)I'm not sure I am allowed to mention the site because it would be like advertising, but I'll give you a hint, the name is the name of an herb that means wise. Anyway has anyone tried this type of test? PV

Leave a comment:

• glowstrz
    replied
    Originally posted by born2swim View Post
    glowstrz,

Here's a link to dermatographia if you're interested!: http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodymayo.c...etail&ref=2895

Hope this helped!
    Yes, Borntoswim....THANKS. You know its funny....my whole life I'vehad really sensitive skin, it gets red if I touch it and sticks around for awhile. Like if I wash my face, my facee stays red for awhile and looks like I've been crying for hours. Or if something just rubs against me it turns red. But then on top of that, once when I was younger, around 15 I think, I got that exact think where if I scratched myself, it would swell up. My mom took me to the dr. and he said I was just having an alergic reaction to something and it would go away....he might have put me on benedryl, but I cant remember. Either way, it DID go away. But crazy to think that its all related. Wow.

Leave a comment:

• leelee88
    replied
    born2swim.. Thank you so much for sharing that..I have the same thing!! I have been wondering for along time if this was normal..lol never thought it could be an allergy.. Guess the mystery is over..lol thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    glowstrz,

The red skin thing: Dermatographia. I have that too. I can write words out on my arm and the red lines last a good 15 minutes, but if I'm in the shower or swimming they can last an hour or two. I also have sensitive gums that bleed when something pokes them (sharp chip, dental cleaning, flossing too hard). I don't have gum disease, just very sensitive gums. I'm allergic to everything (astmatic allergic to certain things like birds/feathers, hay, and long exposure to grass). Thank God I have no food allergies. I have noticed an improvement with Atarax, within a few days. A week after my last urine analysis (that showed red and white blood cells), I had none today. I had my first instillation (Elmiron/lidocane) and it wasn't as bad as the cath I had last week for the potassium sensitivity text to check for IC (followed with a lidocane flush). She said to hold it for 20-30 minutes. It burned due to the foley, but it has been 2 hours and I can still hold it. I feel like I need to pee, like the last several months, but dang this a huge improvement compared to just a week ago! I really think the Atarax is helping and the Ultram as well. I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out on Elmiron, so I don't think the drastic improvement could be Elmiron.

Here's a link to dermatographia if you're interested!: http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodymayo.c...etail&ref=2895

I know others with this skin thing, but I'm the only one with IC and crappy gums. So there is no cause/effect relationship, but they say people with allergies are more likely to get IC... and I fit that profile for sure!

Hope this helped!

Leave a comment:

• ngazerro
    replied
    After my uro confimed IC, the next step was to send me to an allergist. They tested for foods so far. They have me on zytrec & singular which has helped. I don't seem to be IC diet sensitive, but I stay away from the foods that I had a reaction from the allergy test. I also don't drink soda, teas, or coffee. I had hives for two years once and they never figured out why. I do think IC & allergies are connected.

Leave a comment:

• JanL
    replied
    Erica, I have a whole bag of tricks that I do for flares. I have taken elmiron in the past--did not seem to help me. I take Neurontin, bidex 400, benedryll, zyrtex, glucosomine w/MSM, and fish oil and use my alpha-stim unit right now. I pretty much stay in pain all of the time--bummer--so I use my heating pad a lot and wear lidoderm patches, too. I have had IC for about 9 years so I just keep trying different treatments. Hope you figure out what works for you soon.

Janice

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    Originally posted by glowstrz View Post
    Hey Jan - Do you take anything else along with the alergy meds like elmoron? Do you just take the alergy meds when you flare? How quickly does it help the flare. I have SO many questions. I feel like a dr. trying to diagnose!

Moonheart - Wow, we have similer stories =) I too am really sensitive to cleaning products. My roomate LOVE bleach and I HATE it because I smell it for like 12 hours after I clean the bathroom with cleaners that contain bleach...and if I dont use rubber gloves the my hands get sensitive. Thank you for looking to donate money to our cause. After I do the breast cancer 30day at the end of the year I want to do fundraisers for US!

=) erica

Well actually it was from scrubbing my skin with my nails, but you hit the nail on the head anyway! I can't STAND bleach and all. That's why I'm also going to be creating non-irritating cleaners that are organic and have essential oils in them so that they won't bother us sensitive people. I'm going to sell them over the web and at our local farmer's markets.

I'm really excited you are doing the 30day like that! We really need something like that and maybe you can email me and give me some input for IC Awareness day? That would be great! :woohoo:

Leave a comment:

• leelee88
    replied
    Hey girlys..
    I started a new post asking who all has allergies.. I really think there is a connection. This will be interesting to know

Leave a comment:

• glowstrz
    replied
    Hey Jan - Do you take anything else along with the alergy meds like elmoron? Do you just take the alergy meds when you flare? How quickly does it help the flare. I have SO many questions. I feel like a dr. trying to diagnose!

Moonheart - Wow, we have similer stories =) I too am really sensitive to cleaning products. My roomate LOVE bleach and I HATE it because I smell it for like 12 hours after I clean the bathroom with cleaners that contain bleach...and if I dont use rubber gloves the my hands get sensitive. Thank you for looking to donate money to our cause. After I do the breast cancer 30day at the end of the year I want to do fundraisers for US!

=) erica

Leave a comment:

• JanL
    replied
    I think there really is an allergic connection. I tend to feel great between late Oct. (after the first frost) until the middle of Feb. (when stuff starts budding). The funny thing is that I hardly ever got to attend a Valentine party as a kid (always a sore throat and swollen glands). My Mom still teases me about this. So...it really is funny that I always start flaring with my IC around the 14th of Feb. I started taking Zyrtec in the mornings now. I think it helps some. I have been taking bennedryl at night for quite a while. When I mentioned to one of my friends that I could almost predict when my flares would hit during the year and she said that was typical of fibromyalgia (which my doc now thinks I have). Wish the truth could be found out about this.

Janice

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    This is just amazing timing!

I'm looking into the histamine theory as well as just last night got overly ambitious cleaning in the tub last night, and end up with large red scrubbing marks all over me. Wow! I NEVER knew that was a histamine response. My mouth also bleeds terribly just with brushing. OMGoodness!

I can't wait till I can afford to just donate the proceeds from my store in full to research. I KNOW there is a cure out there!!!

Leave a comment:

• leelee88
    replied
    You know I am glad you brought this up, because I am going to start back on Clariton

Leave a comment:

• glowstrz
    replied
    WOW...this is all so facinating...I was shocked this new friend of mine, basicly head me say, "my gums hurt"...and was able to come to the theory about the histamines!

We have come so far with medicine, it drives me a little crazy that we still do not know a cause....and once we do, I hope Donna is right and a cure will not be far behind =)

Thanks - erica

Leave a comment:

Working...
X