Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vision problems while on Atarax/hydroxyzine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vision problems while on Atarax/hydroxyzine?

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Interstitial Cystitis: Elmiron and Hydroxyzine
    Depression/Anxiety: Remeron, Cipralex and Clonazepam

*tried instills for nearly a year, had a break then started again for about 4 months...discontinued due to no improvement and increased flares
    * 2 hydrodistentions :

* currently on "Nabilone" for pain management

Taken the following:
    Gabapentin no relief but could tolerate it
    Lyricano relief but could tolerate it
    Cymbalta severe depression/anxiety etc.
    Topamax severe nausea and weight loss
    Oxycodone: I could tolerate if I used it for flares only...not for extended use due to constipation

What helps IC: yoga/meditation are my current treatments along with chiropractic and pelvic physiotherapy and acupuncture

Other conditions...
    Vulvadynia (amytriptaline cream - no longer using to to irritation)
    Severe IBS
    Chronic Sinus pain (nasal rinse as need)
    Migraines
    Lower back and sacroiliac joint disfunction

Allergies: Erythromycin, scents and detergents

I took my first dose last night and had some floaters and stars about 2 hours after I took it but then I just went to sleep. Is this what you mean about vision problems? I only take 25 mg.
    The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
    First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
    Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
    Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
    Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
    BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

Please be sure to let your doctor know, OK?
      Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

What specific vision problems did you have? I took Atarax for awhile and didn't have any blurriness. I had floaters but my optometrist said even a person without being on medication can get floaters.

I just started taking Vesicare and the side effect is blurry vision. Atarax doesn't specific this.
        bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

vision problems

I get slight blurry vision the odd time. It is not constant. It was mentioned on the side effects print out I received from the pharmasist. My pill are Hydroxyzine but I was told that they are the same as Atarax.
          Interstitial Cystitis: Elmiron and Hydroxyzine
          Depression/Anxiety: Remeron, Cipralex and Clonazepam

*tried instills for nearly a year, had a break then started again for about 4 months...discontinued due to no improvement and increased flares
          * 2 hydrodistentions :

* currently on "Nabilone" for pain management

Taken the following:
          Gabapentin no relief but could tolerate it
          Lyricano relief but could tolerate it
          Cymbalta severe depression/anxiety etc.
          Topamax severe nausea and weight loss
          Oxycodone: I could tolerate if I used it for flares only...not for extended use due to constipation

What helps IC: yoga/meditation are my current treatments along with chiropractic and pelvic physiotherapy and acupuncture

Other conditions...
          Vulvadynia (amytriptaline cream - no longer using to to irritation)
          Severe IBS
          Chronic Sinus pain (nasal rinse as need)
          Migraines
          Lower back and sacroiliac joint disfunction

Allergies: Erythromycin, scents and detergents

Comment

it can make your eyes dry. sometimes i have to blink a couple of times to get into focus because my eyes are a little bit stickier.
            diagnosed IC Jan 2007 (though i feel i've had it mildly for years)
            frequent UTIs
            No frequency, just urgency and pain!

tramadol 50mg twice a day. this stuff works good for nerve pain!!!! (update, i'm down to mostly one pill a day now!)

Physical Therapy. if you have pelvic nerve pain or muscle pain, its worth a try. it helped me with the constant burning.

TENS may help a little

Cystoprotek might be helping as well. i'm getting better as time goes on and this could be why.

fish oil, herbal teas, skullcap (might try passionflower for nerves) I'm not very diet sensitive.

Went OFF elavil and nortryptiline (worked wonders, but didnt like the weight gain)

Comment

I tak 75mg of hydroxizine, and I take it before bed. It dose create dry eyes. I don't know about the blurrines cuz I take ambien too, so when that happens I know they haved kicked in and go to bed.
              By all means discuss this with your doctor.
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

My daughter seems to be having blurring vision. She is just starting on Antrax, and Ditropan. She also experienced red hot face, dry throat and nasal congestion which may be a reaction too. Hopefully, she will check in with her Dr.

Comment

Hey there,

I too am having some blurry vision with Atarax. I take a liquid form (due to being unable to swallow big pills) and so I take it 3 times/day. It was making me groggy, so I just took one dose at night. I don't have dry eyes at all, but I have a dry nose and very dry lips. I have the every day most of the time and I've noticed it getting worse. It was at odd times at first and so I just dealt with it, but now it is most of the day and I squint all the time. My prescription is new, so I know that my contacts/glasses are fine. I guess I should talk to my doctor about this blurry vision too. What did yours say?
                  [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

funny you should mention

funny you ladies mentioned "floaters"
                    i saw them the other day
                    thought it was my blood pressure..but that turned out to be fine.

huh, who knew.
                    i take 50mg atarax

i wonder if i should worry?
                    lol
                    i am good at worrying
                    Quit ELMIRON due to hair loss
                    Cystoprotek ROCKS!

find me on FACEBOOK -
                    search my email [email protected]

Current Meds:
                    AM Cystoprotek & ATARAX 50mg
                    Dinner CYSTOPROTEK
                    PM Elavil 25mg

Comment

I didn't know there could be vision problems with the hydroxyzine. I take 50mg around 9pm but I seem to be having problems reading. I thought it was 'cause I'm getting old. While I'm reading the words seem to come at me and then blur. I blink and bring everything back into focus. Is this a side effect or am I just getting old???

Comment

Angie, that is EXACTLY how I am feeling in terms of my vision! I find that I blink a lot more to try and focus. My eyes are not dry at all. They are just blurry. I cant' give up the Atarax because I won't sleep without it... but I have noticed the blurry vision getting worse over the last month...
                        [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

My eyes arn't dry either. I read a lot so that's where I notice the blurryness. I really thought it was because I'm pushing 40 and my eyes are going. I suppose that could still be it--it's funny I just told my mom last week that I needed my eyes checked. I was thinking of going off the hydroxyzine--I've been taking it for about 2.5 mos (it's also my 2nd time trying it). I also take ambien every night. Have you tried ambien?? I also use melatonin. (not at the same time as the ambien--only when I run out of it )

Comment

I have problems sometimes reading, and the optometrist said it was the age factor. I am 42 and being considered old already. How horrible. I was told to wear reading glasses over my contacts or prescription glasses.

Since being on Vesicare, I have noticed pressure on the lower parts of my eyes.
                            bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms. 7/20/15 Feels like I have moderate IC now. Burning again.

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

Comment

Working...
                            X