Cimetidine (tagamet) - good results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cimetidine (tagamet) - good results

So as not to jinx this, I'm not really saying this out loud. ok? You are not hearing this from me. I'm also knocking on wood and throwing salt over my shoulder and no black cats have crossed my path today.

BUT....this past month my pain was so miserable and I just couldn't get a grip. Atarax, elavil, and percoset all increased my retention and didn't work at all. Then, last week, I read about three small studies that used cimetidine (tagamet) with good success and I thought, "what the heck, you can buy it over the counter." So, I started with 200 mgs three times a day (which was used in the largest study) after making sure to check out any drug interactions. Cimetidine is an H2 histamine blocker, while atarax or allegra are H1 blockers.

Within a day my pain was significantly less and I've been going on five days without pain. I still have some frequency and urethral discomfort after I void, but it's so much more tolerable. My husband even commented that my jaws are no longer clenched and I don't have that 'look of pain' around my eyes.

If you try this, I recommend that you talk with your doctor first. There are some significant drug interactions (in fact, I use xanax for pelvic floor relaxation and I have to adjust the timing on my doses so as not to combine them). I'm also still taking elmiron and allegra.

The studies on this drug were small (the largest had 60 some folks and the smallest had 9) and I'm pretty sure they were not double blind (the gold standard), but they each showed a high rate of success.
    mom_in_ma

i'm glad yo u posted this...i read a study about it too and was very curious. so this h2 blocker doesn't cause you more retention? b/c i have that problem as well, horribly. i will def. check it out!

thanks,
    tracy
    (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

Actually, it's reduced my retention issues as it's calmed my bladder.
      mom_in_ma

Comment

blasted. I know I should have said anything yet. I had six great days and then today I'm flaring again with the ic tummy and all.

mowed the lawn yesterday and my allergies were going crazy so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but blasted...six days! How sad is it to say that I just want those six days back.
        mom_in_ma

Comment

DRAT i was really hoping it'd stay good for ya...who knows, maybe it will get better again...maybe this is just an "off" day.

i'm a bit concerned over trying this tho. i believe UNISOM is an h2 blocker and i tried this recently and COULDN'T PEE all day! had to go get cathed! i'll double check but i'm pretty sure...grrrrrrrrr.
          (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

yeah, it's a bummer because I was feeling so good! Anyway, sorry to hear that you're having problems with retention. Have you noticed a difference in your health with the gluten free diet yet?
            mom_in_ma

Comment

I use Pepcid instead. It has less interactions with other drugs, and can have the same effect on the bladder. If you google Pepcid for IC you may find some postings. I am trying Allegra, and Pepcid right now. I also just started a new Hormone Therapy which seems to be helping so far, and yes I am crossing my fingers, throwing salt over my shoulder etc...

Comment

glassd18,
                Thanks for the tip about Pepcid. You're right, significantly less drug interactions than tagamet! Things calmed down for me again today and I'm going to continue the H2 blockers for awhile...but try Pepcid. It won't interfere with the xanax (or so the drug interaction websites say). How much do you take of the pepcid?
                mom_in_ma

Comment

You can take a maximum of two maximum strength tabs/day. Just follow the directions on the box unless you get advice from your physician for a different dose. Good luck again, and please keep us posted.

Comment

Here is a link that explains a few IC meds:

http://www.ichelp.org/TreatmentAndSe...TheseMeds.html

Comment

Thanks!
                      mom_in_ma

Comment

Working...
                      X