X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purpleviolet
    replied
    Re: Histamine Intolerence?

Mothergoose - From what I have learned there are several genes that control how histamine is handled in the body. One of the genes controls the DAO enzyme which I think breaks histamine down in the digestive track. There are OTC supplements which supply this enzyme and you can research. Of course, with a serious issue like this, need to consult with your doctor. I'm not sure what is driving my arthritis. May have nothing to do with histamines, but I'm suspicious of their contribution. Good luck in your research!

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied

I try to eat foods that are as close to natural as possible, if they have more than 3 products I don't eat them.

My kids were diagnosed lacking the enzyme to to digest Amine's and followed a low Amine diet all their childhood, this made a huge difference to my daughter's Asthma she was able to go off all medications as long as she follows the diet, and really helped with emotional problems.

The Doc that diagnosed this said mainstream doc's don't believe in it, I think more do now.
    This Doc claimed following a low amine diet treated asthma, ADD, ADHD, Bi-polar, bed wetting, it was a life saver for my daughter.

I have never thought about how we keep food after it is coked, I will have to look into that.

If you find anything else about this topic I would interested to hear about it.

Good luck Mothergoose

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied

I'm revisiting this thread because I'm doing more research on histamines in food for other reasons in addition to IC. I've learned it's not just the food but how old some foods are like meat and fish and how those items have been packaged or stored as leftovers. Even browning meat increases amines. Worth researching if you think histamines are your problem. I went to an allergist and dairy tested negative but certain cheeses will clog my ears. I think it's histamines. Maybe affecting IC that way too. I didn't think so before but I'm learning more. My genetics point to a histamine problem, but there are more histamine receptors than h1 and h2 and there are several genes in your body that may control what your body does with histamine and where it reacts. Hope this gives some info for you to research. Thanks to all for comments.

Leave a comment:

• earthlady
    replied

Quercetin is supposed to help with histamine levels and immune responses. I've been taking it for a few years now and have been in remission with my PBS/IC. I'm wondering if anyone else beside me have seen a difference in their allergy symptoms while taking Quercetin? I still have some of the allergic rhinitis but my bladder has been non symptomatic now for a long time and I don't seem to have the same allergic reactions to certain foods that I used to.

Leave a comment:

• Noraisha
    replied

Lindee, have ever tried baking soda for heartburn?.I read that lots of people swear by how fast it work,plus it might also help your IC.

Leave a comment:

• Noraisha
    replied
    Re: supplement to deal with it

Hi purpleviolet, the enzymes that you mention is call DAOSIN,and it's sold by Swanson.I used it,and it seem to help me with my histamine problem.I took this enzymes with foods, and prelief,because it's also contain vitamin C. So far the vitamin C din't bother my bladder.I just found out that calcium citrate bind with oxalate and magnesium bind with histamine.Now I know why prelief work with most Icers.As you know that prelief contain calcium and magnesium.

Leave a comment:

• Noraisha
    replied

Lindee, if your bladder get a bad reaction from spinach than you should google oxalate. Oxalate and histamine seem to bother people with IC.

Leave a comment:

• purpleviolet
    replied
    supplement to deal with it

I don't think I have a histamine problem, but there is this supplement called Histame that is not an anti-histamine but the enzyme that deals with food histamines. People who get that roserea (sp?) that causes redness in the face take it when they eat fermented cheeses, champagnes, fish, etc. and they claim it helps them. Maybe it would help some people with IC who react to histamines in foods. I don''t know, but worth a try. Unfortunately it is a little on the pricey side. If you try it let us know! There is a website for it. Perhaps there are other brands. Not sure.

Leave a comment:

• IamBlessed
    replied
    I know this thread is really old but I still thought I would add my experience in case it helps someone. I was having "unexplained" flares until I started to read about histamines and IC. I am finding that I am definitely sensitive to histamine and when my body releases it it can cause a nasty IC flare. To help I am taking Nettles, Oil of Oregano, and I Neti Pot regularly. I also find that I can't tolerate most of the histamine heavy foods. Any cheese and yogurt, which are fermented foods, I can't have. I also don't do well with spinach and fish. I stopped eating bread with yeast and I think that's helping too. It's super frustrating and hard because for those of us who are diet sensitive our diets are already so strick and it was very overwhelming for me to make this discovery and have to cut out even MORE foods. Once I did it though, and I started feeling better, it was of course all worth it! So if you seem to be having unexplained flares and are not sure what could be causing it please take a look at histamine. Try taking some anti-histamines whether it be supplements or drugs(I only recommend the natural stuff) and try cutting out all the histamine foods that are on the link shared on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Lindeee
    replied
    Oh, and I'm also on Prilosec...have had heartburn since kindergarten. My bladder pain starts about two hours after taking it-I'm going to start taking it later in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Lindeee
    replied
    Since I read this first post I have been doing research on histamine and IC. After many, many years of practically no symptoms, I started having a flare this past January. I noticed the first twinge on a day when I was wearing costume jewelry (ear rings and a necklace) that I was clearly allergic too. My skin was crawling, but I was on a train taking a short trip and I just didn't think to take the ear rings off or the necklace which was making a rash on my skin. Later on I noticed a bladder twinge and was like whoa...haven't felt that in a LONG time. The next time I noticed a twinge I had eaten a lot of mashed potatoes.....then full blown flare after eating spaghetti sauce which had burgandy wine in it (I didn't realize this) for three days straight. The allergic reaction to the jewelry, the potatoes and the sauce are all known to cause histamine in the body. I can't say if this is the whole puzzle, but I do think it could be a piece given all the research on mast cells, etc. I really don't agree with the acid theories because I've kept my urine and have had the worst pain-it does not seem to matter. The other question for me is hormones and what part they play. Anyway, in my last post I did say I am exploring supplements and foods that inhibit histamine. I am staying away from all histamine producing foods. I have had severe pain after eating spinach several times, so the lists make sense to me except for chicken which does not seem to cause a problem. Anyway....I'm grateful to at least have another avenue to explore.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You're welcome. :-)

Leave a comment:

• heidiho
    replied
    Very interesting. Thank you for posting the links. Since I went on the IC diet a couple of weeks ago I noticed that symptoms of bloating and gas which I have frequently have been greatly reduced as well. I am wondering if it is the histamine producing foods that created this reaction as well. I have had allergy problems all my life and have gotten frequent skin rashes during allergy season. I have also gotten sweat rashes or heat rashes in the past. I never thought this could be connected to IC but it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Your welcome :-)

Originally posted by Lindeee View Post
    WOW.....that is so helpful. My bladder got SO bad when I cooked fresh spinach the other night-I'm always trying to keep things alkaline by eating "green things". I guess not with the spinach. Also, when the first came on I was binging on strawberries constantly. I'm going to try this. Thanks
    Your welcome Lindee. I'm glad you found the article helpful. I know it's just a possible theory, but given how little is known about IC and the theory that it may be an allergic condition/more prevelant in those of us with allergies, anything is worth a shot right? Hope you get on well without the spinanch and that you don't miss it too much.

Jem x

Leave a comment:

• Landish
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindeee View Post
    WOW.....that is so helpful. My bladder got SO bad when I cooked fresh spinach the other night-I'm always trying to keep things alkaline by eating "green things". I guess not with the spinach.
    I can't have spinach either. When I cook spinach is bad , when I eat it fresh is worst. I tried it to many times to be sure. I don't know if that is about histamine, oxalate or just to many vitamins but spinach is one of those foods I stay away because when I eat spinach, my bladder hurts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X