Claritin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claritin

Ever since I started taking 10mg Claritin at night my symptoms have improved. One of the theories behind the cause of IC is that our bodies produce excess histamine. Anyway...it's OTC and seems to help
    Dg. with IC 2/15/10

Other conditions: depression, ADHD, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS-C.

Medications I'm on: Vyvanse 70mg, Xanax 1 mg as needed, Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain, Microgestin 1/20 continuously.

Supplements I'm taking: Chondroitin Sulfate, N-acetyl-glucosamine, MSM 3gr/day, Pancreatin, B-5, Ester-C, and marshmallow root tea

Thanks for the information! Perhaps I will give it a try.
    Live Well
    Love Much
    Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
    Dec 2005
    Diagnosis:
    IC
    Cysto/Hydro:
    Dec 2005
    Other Conditions:
    Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
    Meds for IC:
    Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
    Alternative Treatments
    Physical therapy for 8 weeks, Acupuncture (just started).
    Other Meds:
    Skelaxin (as needed)
    Didn't work:
    Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
    Tried:
    Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Comment

So I took a claritin last night because I'm currently having an allergic reaction to either the elmiron/vesicare or nortriptyline. Not sure which and will have to try each one separately once the rash is gone.

BUT back to my main point. I took a claritin and I went out to dinner for my 27th wedding anniversary and drank a couple glasses of chardonnay and my bladder was quiet all night long. I even had this really decadent peanut butter/chocolate cookie heated up with vanilla ice cream, it was divine and nothing bothered my bladder.

I don't normally take claritin because I don't have allergies but have to wonder about the improvement in symptoms. I will keep taking it cuz I have to get rid of this allergic rash.
      Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
      Macrobid after sex
      Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
      synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
      AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
      AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
      Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

Wow, congrats on your 27th year marriage anniversary! That's really something Anyway, that's amazing that you were able to drink wine and not be in pain. I'd sent me through the roof screaming in pain ha, ha.

I do really think that the Claritin is working because last week was the first one in many that I didn't need any Vicodin. The pain is lessening...and I sleep better.

Hope you get rid of that allergic rash soon! I know how pesky they can be.
        Dg. with IC 2/15/10

Other conditions: depression, ADHD, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS-C.

Medications I'm on: Vyvanse 70mg, Xanax 1 mg as needed, Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain, Microgestin 1/20 continuously.

Supplements I'm taking: Chondroitin Sulfate, N-acetyl-glucosamine, MSM 3gr/day, Pancreatin, B-5, Ester-C, and marshmallow root tea

Comment

Thanks, I don't know where all the years have gone....I was young when I got married. Luckily I still really like my hubby so that is definitely saying something. Maybe because we were friends before we ever dated was a good thing.

Anyways, I asked my UG about it and he said in theory it should work the same as atarax with less side effects because they are both histamine blockers.
          Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
          AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

Hi,

Do either of you have seasonal allergies? My daughter is on Atarax and I find that it helps her quite a bit. She's never had seasonal allergies though. I find it interesting...I get the whole mast cells in the bladder. You often hear though that antihistamines help patients with seasonal allergies most. This has not been my daughter's experience, so I was curious to ask if anyone had a similiar experience:-)

Jill:-)
            "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

Hi Jill,

No, I don't have seasonal allergies but I'm allergic to a lot of foods, and most medicines give me allergic reaction. Given that my bladdder started acting up while taking Adderall (ADD meds) I attribute this to an allergic reaction as well
              Dg. with IC 2/15/10

Comment

Me neither

Originally posted by jvr View Post
                Hi,
                Do either of you have seasonal allergies? My daughter is on Atarax and I find that it helps her quite a bit. She's never had seasonal allergies though. I find it interesting...I get the whole mast cells in the bladder. You often hear though that antihistamines help patients with seasonal allergies most. This has not been my daughter's experience, so I was curious to ask if anyone had a similiar experience:-) Jill:-)
                I don't have seasonal allergies either. I put off even trying an antihistamine because I thought whats the point? I do have non-allergic rhinitis which is all the symptoms of allergies but no histamine reaction. I went to an allergist and he said my sinuses were all swollen and he tested me for everything and not one thing was positive. So thats interesting about your daughter too and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried them this weekend.

I also react very badly to medicines and often develop allergies to them (I'm sure you saw my prior post). I do not think I have any food allergies at all either. Was tested for celiac just in case but everything was fine. I've been known to react to the sun with hives here and there but not consistently.
                Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the responses:-) You learn something new everyday with this darn disorder...lol

Jill:-)
                  "Where there is hope there can be faith. Where there is faith, miracles can occur."

Comment

Originally posted by cmclien View Post
                    Thanks, I don't know where all the years have gone....I was young when I got married. Luckily I still really like my hubby so that is definitely saying something. Maybe because we were friends before we ever dated was a good thing.

Anyways, I asked my UG about it and he said in theory it should work the same as atarax with less side effects because they are both histamine blockers.
                    Congratulations Cyndi!!! And wow 27 years PLUS 2 glasses of wine PLUS a hubby you still like (lol)!!! You have hit the jackpot (aside from the stupid IC, of course). As have I, coming up on 22 years and not only do i still like him, luckily HE stills likes ME!!! And YES we were really good friends before we got married and we still are! That's what I keep telling my 20 yr old daughter. You have to really like him as a friend first, then see what happens!!

Again, Congrats to to you and that likable hubby of yours!!!

I'm so glad your getting some relief with the claritin and I hope the allergic reaction is getting better!!!
                    Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
                    Lexapro-20 mg
                    Aciphex
                    Ambien-as needed
                    Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
                    Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                    Phenergan-1 at night
                    Prelief w/everything
                    Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
                    Heating pad
                    Hot baths
                    Ice
                    Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

I'm a little down over the whole thing

Originally posted by KatieB View Post
                      Again, Congrats to to you and that likable hubby of yours!!!

I'm so glad your getting some relief with the claritin and I hope the allergic reaction is getting better!!!
                      Thanks! Good advice for your daughter I totally agree. Its like how will you feel when the infatuation wears off?

The whole allergic thing has me feeling DOWN. The hives are looking better today, not good enough to try the elmiron yet. Maybe tomorrow. Whats got me down is I think the elmiron was working! I've been off of it a few days and am feeling the old pressure again today, that might be partly why the wine didn't bother me. Its gonna really upset me if that is the culprit! I'm hoping its the nori cuz there are other options, same for oab med. Waiting to hear from my doc if he has seen this happen with anyone else. He's pretty good about email.
                      Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

I do have allergies, both to pollen, molds, mildews and food i.e. yeast and dairy. I am also one who is very sensitive to medications and find it difficult to find one that I don't have some type of adverse reations to.

I'm not sure if antihistamines help with my IC, however I am certainly going to go out and pick up some Claritin tomorrow and give it a try.

I have developed adverse side effects after 11 years to the Elavil (Doxepin) I have been taking for my IC. So I am having to taper off of it. I am noticing that my IC sypmtoms are getting worse today, so I would definatly like to try the Claritin.

I'm so glad you posted about it, thank you!
                        Live Well
                        Love Much
                        Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
                        Dec 2005
                        Diagnosis:
                        IC
                        Cysto/Hydro:
                        Dec 2005
                        Other Conditions:
                        Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Sinusitis, Bursitis of the hip, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PFD, Inflamitory Arthritis of the neck, Allergy to Yeast and Dairy
                        Meds for IC:
                        Prosed/DS as needed which works much better for me than Pyridium, Prelief, Coffee Tamer, Claritin 5mgs and sodium bicarb as needed.
                        Alternative Treatments
                        Other Meds:
                        Skelaxin (as needed)
                        Didn't work:
                        Detrol LA (didn't help symptoms), Pyridium 200mg isn't working very well anymore.
                        Tried:
                        Elmiron (Major Dizziness), Hydrodistention (Greatly exacerbated IC symptoms), Urised (hard time breathing), Ditropan (bladder pain the next day), Rescue Instillations - Lidocane, sodium bicarb (all over body rash with itching),

Comment

HI Shamay
                          I don't know what adverse reactions you are having to the tri-cyclic, doxepin but there are other newer tri-cyclics with less side effects like pamelor (nortriptyline) and others you could try switching to.
                          Hope the claritin helps. I do think it helps some and might alot more with you since you have "real" allergies.
                          Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Hello,

Side effects have been kind of scary.... heart palpitations, elevated heart rate, body tremors, dizziness and a few others. :/

I had thought about switching to another Tricyclic however am a bit concerned that it may have the same effect.

I think I'll try the Claritin first before trying another antidepressant.

I sure hope it helps lol.
                            Live Well
                            Love Much
                            Laugh Often!

Diagnosed:
                            Dec 2005
                            Diagnosis:
                            IC
                            Cysto/Hydro:
                            Dec 2005
                            Other Conditions:
                            Meds for IC:
                            Alternative Treatments
                            Other Meds:
                            Skelaxin (as needed)
                            Didn't work:
                            Tried:

Comment

Good idea! Post if it helps, always nice to hear positive results!

Smart to stop the med with all those nasty side effects. Alot of meds give me heart palpitations also, its an awful feeling to lie in bed and hear your heart beating when you're under no exertion.
                              Cindi

Macrobid after sex

Comment

Working...
                              X