Tips/Information on Atarax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips/Information on Atarax

How early in the evening before bed do you take it? I was pretty sleepy this morning. I slept at least 7 hours and took it at least 8 hours before I had to wake up.

Is this drug a possible treatment on it's own?

My symptoms are mainly pressure/awareness.
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    24 years old
    Southern California - Ventura County
    Financial Analyst
    Not officially diagnosed - 7 years of symptoms
    Currently trying: Atarax, Physical Therapy (once a week)
    Mild symptoms
    Stretching a lot helps, but it's hard to get myself to do

I take mine at 9:00 in the evening.

Comment

I take mine at 7am, sorry! Atarax definitely cuts down on my flares due to allergies... I had to double my dose when allergy season hit, but then things went back to normal.
      Symtoms started July 2010.
      Severe pelvic floor pain only.

2 time PT graduate!
      In medical remission since August 2011; able to eat and drink anything I want currently.

IC meds:
      200 mg Elmiron in the morning
      100 mg Elmiron @ night
      Macrobid after intercourse

03/11 07/11 01/12
      If at first you don't succeed: 07/26/2013!

Comment

I take mine at about 7:15 each night. Any later, and it makes it nearly impossible for me to function at 5:30 the next morning when I need to get up for work.
        ----------------------
        -Amanda
        34 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
        diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010

Current meds:
        Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Gabapentin 600 mg, Myrbetriq 25mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Mircrogestin, capsaicin cream (for vulva)
        Other past treatments:
        IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
        Tried and didn't work:
        Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture

Comment

Could I ask everyone's dosage, please?

My doctor put me on 50 mg 3x a day, it seems high to me - I'm 18, very thin (around 105 lbs).

Thanks.
          Diagnosed with IC in 2005, since then have been diagnosed with an unspecified autoimmune disease, with inflammation in my bladder, colon, left knee, left ear, left eye, lungs and pericardium. Argh!

Medical research addict.

Comment

That is the typical dose when Atarax is prescribed for allergies. My URO wrote my script for that dose, but I only take 50 mgs. at bedtime.

Comment

I only take 10 mg, but I'm very sensitive to side effects, especially drowsiness. Only you and your doctor can determine how much will work for you. You can always adjust.
              ----------------------
              -Amanda
              34 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
              diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010

Current meds:
              Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Gabapentin 600 mg, Myrbetriq 25mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Mircrogestin, capsaicin cream (for vulva)
              Other past treatments:
              IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
              Tried and didn't work:
              Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture

Comment

Hello! I've always taken 25mg of Atarax at bedtime - well it can be a few hours before bed based on the drowsiness side effect. I will say in the beginning, I would always wake up so drowsy/tired and it was hard to function, yet over time that side effect has mostly subsided. Based on that, I just make sure I take it before bed - some days it's a little earlier than others. I'm thinking that when I first started taking it I just tried to take it a few hours before I was planning to go to bed.

Hope you find the regimen that works best for you!

Best wishes,
                Jennifer
                I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

I would talk to my Dr about starting at a lower dose and build up. this will allow your body to adjust to med and the sleepiness, and you will be able to see how much you need to take to help your bladder.

MG
                  My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I take 25mg at 9:00pm and sleep for the majority of the night without getting up to pee. I am sometimes a little groggy in the morning, but I've only been on it for a week so I'm guessing that will pass with time.
                    Diagnosed with: IC, PFD, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, adenomyosis, pelvic congestion syndrome

Surgeries: pelvic laparoscopy (1999) to remove adhesions, supracervical hysterectomy (2009)

Medications: Elmiron, Atarax, Enablex

Physical therapy: Since 6/11

Comment

I just started 25 mg at bedtime. It knocked me on my butt! My hubby laughed at me because when I would get up to pee I was running into the walls and having trouble walking. He said I was mumbling things he couldn't understand. While this was funny, I had to call the Dr and get his advice. He told me not to take it with any other meds and to cut it in half for a few days till I get used to it.
                      Even though it made me super drowsy, it's great to sleep, and to get right back to sleep after I get up to pee.

Comment

I don't know why the Atarax doesn't affect me that way, i.e., making me real sleepy. With all the meds I take at bedtime that could cause drowsiness, I shouldn't wake up at all until morning.

Comment

For some of us meds just don't react the same as others, I often get the opposite effect than other people.
                          My Dr gets this his spouse is the same, so at least he believes me.

MG
                          My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

my hubby reacts opposite to many meds. lucky dog lost weight when he took steroids last year!

Comment

I also take 25 mg of Atarax at bedtime. I have only been on it one week but I think its really helping. I do find that it makes a little tired in the AM though, but for right now thats ok because I dont have a job and enjoy sleeping in Last night I was up once to pee at about 4 am and slept the whole way until 10:30 am! I think that feeling will ware off though, I have noticed it lessening.

Jenn
                              28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Working...
                              X