Atarax or Elavil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atarax or Elavil?

Just wondering what the difference is between these two drugs in terms of helping the bladder? I am on Atarax right now, but am curious to know if the Elavil would work better. I haven't asked my doctor about it, but plan to at the next appointment. Do doctors generally prescribe either one or the other to an IC patient? Do they both do basically the same thing? Just curious because my appointment isn't for another couple months! Until then, I am taking my Elmiron 4x a day, MSM 1000 mg, and 20 mg Atarax before bed... all of these prescribed by my doctor of course.
    ~Valery~
    Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
    Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

One has the (main) ingredients of an antihystamine (Atarax) and one has the (main) ingredients of a antidepressant (Elavil). Though they both share the mild 'tranquilizer' properties. The Atarax also has some off-label properties that are similar to a Benzo. I wouldn't want to be on Atarax since I am already on high doses of Allegra but I am on Elavil. I don't know that you could compare the two persay. But I guess they are the 'same' as in they are supporting drug for IC patients?

Comment

The Elavil is an antidepressant and would probably take a few weeks to start working. Maybe you could add that and see if it helps and then if you needed to wean off of Atarax you could? I am assuming the dr. would prescribe both, but not sure. They could make you really tired for a while when taking them together, but eventually that side effect would go away. Good luck
      -Pammylynn Rose
      Wishing everyone a pain free bladder day!

Painful symptoms start in May 2011
      Diagnosed with IC in Aug 2011

MEDICATIONS
      Elmiron
      Axert (only for rare migraines)
      Strict IC diet
      Gluten/dairy/egg free diet

Comment

Elavil, Atarax and Elmiron is my miracle combination!!! Its all I'm on, and it works wonderfully!

Comment

Atarax helped me better then elavil when I was on them.

Comment

I'm with Jessica. I take Elmiron, Atarax, and Elavil, and do great.
            Symtoms started July 2010.
            Severe pelvic floor pain only.

2 time PT graduate!
            In medical remission since August 2011; able to eat and drink anything I want currently.

IC meds:
            200 mg Elmiron in the morning
            100 mg Elmiron @ night
            Macrobid after intercourse

03/11 07/11 01/12
            If at first you don't succeed: 07/26/2013!

Comment

Thanks, girls!! I am just trying to come up with some things to try next if the birth control doesn't help. I am pretty sure my Uro would prescribe that if I asked him (as long as he doesn't think it would be a bad combo for some reason). He really wants to help and has been really flexible so far.
              ~Valery~
              Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
              Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

Comment

Beware of Weight Gain on Elavil

I took elavil for about 1 1/2 years. It helps with the IC and bonus, helped me to sleep. On the down side, I found that I had to up the dose over the 1 1/2 years as the initial dose doesn't work over time.

Major downside...I gained a ton of weight. Elavil makes you hungry, hungry, hungry. I gained about 20 lbs. It also eventually made my joints hurt. I found it very hard to come off of. Harder than anything else I've ever taken. I cried for no reason, had anxiety attacks etc (I'm otherwise a very stable, normal person).

After doing away with the elavil I did well for about another year before my symptoms returned. I'm managing now with Hydroxizine.

Comment

Oh yeah... take the weight gain seriously... Elavil makes you eat for sure, and it makes me crave SWEETS like crazy. I also gained like 20 lbs on the stuff. I'm still on it, trying to control myself around the sweet stuff to get those pound off, but I am wondering if I want to continue taking it much longer, as I'm not really sure it added anything to the regimen I was already on (other than the insatiable appetite). LOL
                  Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                  *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                  *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                  *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Atarax

Originally posted by EmmaJO View Post
                    Atarax helped me better then elavil when I was on them.
                    How lond did it take to feel any difference? I just started a week ago on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X