Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of taking Hydroxyzine...anyone have any input...like about side effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of taking Hydroxyzine...anyone have any input...like about side effects?

Hi everyone!

I've was diagnosed with IC recently...my problems began last Nov.
    I'm now taking 40mg of Elavil and Prelief for my IC. I'm also on Ovcon 35 for birth control.

I'm doing a lot better...but I still wouldn't say my quality of life has changed enough to make me happy. I still have quite a bit of frequency. Especially after I pee. At my last visit with my UroGyn...the doctor offered to put me on Elmiron. I decided to wait on that idea until my next appt..which is next month. I'm too scared to take Elmiron because of all the possible side effects like hair loss and bruisng.

However...I am interested in the Hyrdoxyzine. I seem to see people having postive reactions to it without bad side effects. In a book I have called...The Interstitial Cystitis Survival Guide by Moldwin...the side effects listed was drowsiness. That I can handle...hair loss...not.

Does anyone else know of any othe side effects like acne or weight gain?
    What are your experiences with it? I'm struggling with what to ask for...increasing the dose of elavil...which could increase the possible side effect of weight gain..or try this antihistimine with the dose of elavil I have now. Please...anyone's help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    My meds:
    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    Hydroxyzine 25mg 1-3x a day depending on allergy seasons
    Elavil (generic) 40mg 1x a day
    Ditropan XL 10 mg 1x a day
    Ovcon 35 (for birth control)

Atarax, or Hydroxyzine, is helping me. The only side effect I have is drowsiness. So, I take it when I go to bed, problem solved!

I'm wishing you well.

Comment

I have good results with hydroxyzine. Yes there is some grogginess, but overall I think it helps a lot. I'm accidentally missed a does before and the next day I could tell the difference. I usually try to take it about 30 minutes to an hour before bed. It also helps me sleep through the night - which is a bonus.

I hope it can work for you too!
      Take Care!
      Jennifer
      I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

I take 2 atarax at night right before bed. Good luck!!!

Comment

I can not take generic atarax (hydroxyzine) due to a sensitivity to the fillers in the drug. I take Vistaril instead, which is a brand name of hydroxyzine. Oddly enough, it is made by the same company that stopped its production of Atarax.

The two most common side effects of this drug are drowsiness and dry mouth.

Jeanne

Comment

Hi...thanks for the feedback. Do you know what the pills with the red dye is called? I want to know how to ask my doctor to give me the right pills.
            My meds:
            Elmiron 100mg 3x a day

Comment

I take the generic 25 mg pills (they are green) at bedtime. I take 75 mg (3 pills). The hangover drowsiness went away with time and I worked up to the dose I currently take. I would not miss it - ever! It helps me tremendously!

Pam
              Diagnosed with IC, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, IBS and Migraines BUT still living one day at a time and plugging along! :woohoo:

Comment

Many people with IC can take colored pills with no problem at all. One thing I do when I get a new prescription is to ask the pharmacist to fill only a part of the prescription so I can try it for a few days before I spend money to fill the entire thing.

I don't take hydroxyzine full time, but I did take it for an allergic reaction with no problem --- the pills were pink.

Sending encouraging hugs,
                Donna
                Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I take Hydroxyzine and have taken it for 2 years and the only side effect was at first a little drowsiness. It has helped me a lot.
                  Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
                  http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

Has the meds helped with your frequency? I have to say that frequency is my biggest problem. And...right now I feel aweful...I was doing soo well and now I don't know what's going on. Does anyone know how they can detect whether they have a UTI while having IC. I feel like I have to pee all the time...soo I don't know if it's just my IC acting up or if I now have a UTI on top of it?
                    My meds:
                    Elmiron 100mg 3x a day

Comment

I had been on Vistaril for 3 months. Just stopped taking 4 days ago. It helped a little for the pain but not too much for the frequency. After 3 months on it, I still felt so sleepy in the morning or noon. I guess I am just too sensitive. I took 25mg at 7PM and was not able to wake up at 8AM.

Comment

I've seen over the counter test strips at the pharmacy before (to test for UTI). I've never bought them nor used them, but it might be worth a try. Frequency can be really annoying.

I hope you feel better soon!
                        Jennifer
                        I speak of my personal experience only to provide support to others who have IC. I am not offering professional advice in any way. All patients are different and may respond differently to various remedies and medical treatments. These posts are based on my personal experience and are not meant to be viewed as medical advice nor do they replace the proper evaluation and treatment by a medical professional or healthcare provider. Please seek out treatment and medical advice from your doctor and medical team.

Comment

Atarax can cause decreased respiration. After a few days, I was staying in bed until 4 p.m., couldn't think clearly, unable to call 911, etc. Turns out my respiration was decreased & I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I'd recommend being around people for the first week or two so if this happens, you're not alone like I was. Very scary.
                          IC & fibromyalgia since ~'77. Osteoarthritis since ~'88. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (autoimmune blood disease) since '96. IBS for who knows how long. Interstim implant 2/04, revised 6/06, replaced 11/12 & again in 9/17. Antibodies to thyroid since at least '92 (finally diagnosed & treated 1/06). Asthma & vocal cord dysfunction 12/06. Hypoglycemia '07. Perimenopausal at 37, menopause at 45. Pituitary & adrenal failure. Osteopenia. Grade 3 sacral fracture by S3-S4 at age 12, healed 14mm out of place.

Comment

Mine are little green pills. I'm not aware that I have any problem with dyes the way other people do.

Comment

I've been taking hydroxyzine for IC for years now. I do believe that it helps with my frequency/urgency. At first it made me tired, but definitely did not cause me to oversleep or not be able to function. After the first 2 weeks, the drowsiness was much better. I try to take it a couple of hours before bedtime (rather than at bedtime) to reduce any morning drowsiness. I have had both white pills and pink pills. No bad reaction to the pink pills at all. I haven't noticed any other side effects. I tolerate it well.

We all react differently to meds, so you really won't know how you will react until you try it yourself.

Good luck,
                              Nicole

Comment

Working...
                              X