Prosed DS vs. Urelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prosed DS vs. Urelle

Maybe someone has some insight into this.

Doctor first gave me Prosed, but it just seemed to make my symptoms worse. Looked a possible side effects and one of them is urinary retention so maybe that was why.

Urelle, which isn't too dissimilar to Prosed seems to work although not as well as pyridium.

Anyone else have this happen?
    Diagnosed in April 2010

Current
    Elavil 25mg @ bedtime
    Zoloft 50mg
    Cystoprotek
    Desert Harvest aloe vera capsules
    Prelief 3X daily

Vitamins - Vit D 2,000 1X daily, acidophilus, fish oil
    When Needed - AZO (OTC Pyridium), baking soda & H2O
    Misc- myofascial massage, therapy, chiropractor

So I thought I would follow up my own post in case anyone is interested in the info. The ingredient list is slightly different between the two. It appears that Urelle has 1 extra ingredient sodium biphosphate, while Prosed DS has 2 additional ingredients benzoic acid and atropine sulfate.

Urelle
    -------
    Methenamine 81mg,
    phenyl salicylate 32.4mg,
    methylene blue 10.8mg,
    hyoscyamine sulfate 0.12mg
    sodium biphosphate 40.8mg,

Prosed DS
    ---------
    Methenamine 81.6mg,
    phenyl salicylate 36.2mg,
    methylene blue 10.8mg,
    hyoscyamine sulfate 0.06mg
    benzoic acid 9mg,
    atropine sulfate 0.06mg,

So I'm wondering if the reason why I'm having problems with the Prosed is due to the atropine sulfate which I think is a derivative from the deadly nightshade family.

I guess I'll check the forums to see if anyone else has had problems with Prosed but not Urelle.
    Diagnosed in April 2010

Current
    Elavil 25mg @ bedtime
    Zoloft 50mg
    Cystoprotek
    Prelief 3X daily

Comment

Oh and I also found this - they have slightly different indications:

Prosed DS - Relief of lower urinary tract discomfort due to hypermotility. Treatment of formaldehyde-susceptible cystitis, urethritis, trigonitis.

Urelle - Treatment of symptoms of irritative voiding. Relief of local symptoms due to lower UTIs or diagnostic procedures.
      Diagnosed in April 2010

Current
      Elavil 25mg @ bedtime
      Zoloft 50mg
      Cystoprotek
      Prelief 3X daily

Comment

I've never used Prosed DS. I am currently taking the generic version of Urelle. Guess who manufactures it? Yep, the same manufacturer as Urelle. So if your doctor writes a script for Urelle, and the pharmacy checks on their computer to see if there is a generic version, it will not show up. You literally have to ask for it by name: Darpaz.

Comment

atropine N/A and cystex vs urelle or prosed

I thought atropine was removed from these formulas awhile ago. usept had it 10 years ago. this is prosed now
          Generic Name: Benzoic Acid/Hyoscyamine/Methenamine/Methylene Blue/Phenyl Salicylate (ben-ZOE-ik AS-id/HYE-oh-SYE-a-meen/meth-EN-a-meen/METH-i-leen/FEN-il sa-LIS-i-late)
          Brand Name: Prosed/DS

Do a test: Compare OTC Cystex to Prosed. If you do repond to prosed and not cystex then you are being helped by the hyoscamine or the methylene blue. Cystex you can buy without prescription. Ingredients are the same as prosed or urelle except without the antispasm component or the blue component. I think you would have to test for over a week to get meaningful results. If prosed helps and not cystex then it is clear we have spasm problems (that hyscomine helps - which you also can try separately from a presciption). If that doesn't work then it is the blue! I should follow my own advice. I have some cystex and I will try it too. Prosed helps me a little.
          I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

What about the benzoic acid in the Prosed DS? Could this cause problems? My pharmacist (thinking I had a UTI) said, "This is kinda acidic, but you should add cranberry juice or orange juice to make it more acidic and flush the infection out." I said, "I will never get rid of this, it is not an infection, it is called interstitial cystitis." He had never heard of it before. I know everyone says how common this is, but I had never met someone with this ever and no one (even pharmasicists - and he was old) have ever heard of it. So, honestly I don't think this is that prevelant. I could be wrong, of course.
            Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

Comment

benzoic acid and juice

I read in a medical book that the anti-infective ingredient (one starting with m) needs the urine to be acid in order for it to work to stop germs from growing, thus benzoic acid. Your pharmacist may be ignorant on several accounts. I believe citrus juice that starts out acid ends up alkaline in the urine (you could research this). Also a recent study refuted that cranberry acidifies the urine. I think what goes on in the bladder is more complicated and the "acid" that some people think irritates the bladder is actually perhaps alkaline? I went on the atkins diet one time which makes the urine acid and it did not irritate my bladder. It is so confusing. I'm not sure why prosed helps me a bit and not others. Our lining, nerves and muscles must be different. I suppose to see if urine PH is the culprit then we just have to test our urine. I know prelief helps some people, but taking it with coffee just doesn't stop coffee from bothering me, even if it is decaf. Maybe there are other chemicals.
              I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

I personally know of only one other woman who has IC.

Comment

I haven't met anyone else with IC either! Nobody I talk to has ever heard of it either. My GP knew just enough about it to know that it's not curable and hard to live with, but he didn't really know the details. Most people just think you have an infection.

Comment

Yes, you are right. I went to urgent care once to see if I had a kidney infection, because they were hurting. I tried to tell the Dr. that I had IC. I explained it and she told me, "If you have cystitis you take an antibiotic and you are over it." I explained it again and she thought I was crazy.

The two doctors in my family practice are total idiots when it comes to IC. One said, "I've heard of it you take (some chemo drug)." I said, "No you meant Elmiron." She said, "Yeah that's it." The other Dr. told me she knew nothing about IC and go to a uro for that. She didn't even want to educate herself about it. My mom's gyn said, "At least it is treatable - she can take Elmiron." So, my mom is now like - why aren't you better - it is treatable.

I am sooo fed up with Dr.'s giving me stuff or doing stuff (like trigger point injections) that hurt like crazy. They use me for research purposes and don't care about me personally. Just, "Oh, that didn't work, let's try this." I know they say look how far we've come since the dark ages, but for me like is still dark. There is nothing working for me and I think I have tried it all. I think people just learn to live in extreme pain and stay at home. That is why we don't see people with IC or hear about them. Just and observation. I am in a really bad mood tonight. I need to sleep and can't - sorry for the rant.
                    Teresa

We are not HUMAN BEINGS going through a temporary SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. We are SPIRITUAL BEINGS going through a temporary HUMAN EXPERIENCE....so that we may become more SPIRITUAL.

Comment

Just say no to invasive treatment that's what I say. Seriously. My biofeedback/uro doctor basically talked to me for like 15 minutes about the sort of invasive experimental treatments that are "out there". He said that I could go down that route if I wanted to, but that statistically, patients didn't come out any better off.

That's all I needed to hear. IC pain is bad enough without inflicting anymore on myself.

I'm sorry that you can't sleep (of course now it's daytime so I'm a bit late).

Sometimes I take the OTC sleeping aid from Sam's Club when my anxiety keeps me up. It works pretty well, but I can sometimes feel groggy in the morning.

hugs
                      shawnster
                      Diagnosed in April 2010

Current
                      Elavil 25mg @ bedtime
                      Zoloft 50mg
                      Cystoprotek
                      Prelief 3X daily

Comment

I read this because I was researching different bladder-soothers, but I thought I would respond to the problem of nobody knowing about IC. I totally feel you! I have met one person who claimed to have it, but it must have been very mild because she seemed confused by me (she wasn't sure why I was in pain or why I couldn't pee). She was a receptionist at an emergency room where I had to get cathed once, but she had me waiting awhile to see the doctor. At least she let me lay down while I waited. Ouch!

Anyways, I've met several more people who actually know about it. That always throws me off when I try to interact with a health care professional and I begin on my monotone-I've said this a thousand times-speech and they interrupt me to say they actually know what it is. Once you get outside of the world of urology it's hard to find somebody who knows about it. And often I have to explain it more than once because as soon as I go back to them (like my GP) they've forgotten. Then I take a fairly standard pain med with a crazy name (because it's a weird dosage) and that always kills everyone. The good thing about that is I can get by without them realizing on pain killers which means a skipped speech about how I'm an addict (isn't that weird though? I always double check with the pharamcist for interactions since they say they don't know what it is but don't ask or look it up either).

For now I'm trying out utira-C. I think it's helping with the pain (I've been sleeping better for sure) but I sometimes have a "gotta go" feeling which isn't normal for me. Sometimes it's right after I've gone and sometimes it's about an hour later. Anyone else experience this? I want to at least try it for awhile since it works much better than the Prosed.
                        Have had IC symptoms since childhood, but did not seek serious treatment or become diagnosed until I was in college.

24 yo F

I've had a cystectomy with an Indiana Pouch. It was a success and has helped my symptoms and pain immensely.

Comment

I've been really lucky - my PCP, my urologist, and even the ER doc (who treated me when I had bad flare and needed pain meds) all knew what IC is.

I had my three-month follow up with my uro yesterday, and he was surprised I was still taking the Prosed. He said I should only use it when I have a bad flare. So, I've stopped taking it and I do notice that the tickling/itching feeling in my bladder has increased somewhat (although it may be unrelated to stopping Prosed). It gets a little better when I take benadryl and do some stretches, so we'll see.

Does anyone take Prosed every day? If I continue to get worse, I might try some of the OTC stuff that's mentioned here. My doc is conservative and likes to use as few meds as possible, but quite frankly he doesn't have to live with this every day.
                          Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
                          Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
                          Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

I take pyridium but mostly like now for few days after hyrdo. I dont take pyridum during a flare and should remember to. Yes I do know not suppose to take pyridium daily. I know IC gals take prosed daily and swear by it

I saw one of first posts in this thread and have heard of ic pts retaining on prosed. You have posted ingredients of prosed saying it contains atropine= it is atropine in it that will cause you to retain whereas the urelle had no atropine that is why

Comment

I take Darpaz 4 times daily every single day and have been doing so for over a year now. When I try to cut back, the IC flares.

Darpaz is the generic form of Urelle.

Comment

Working...
                              X