Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabapentin

Hello,
    Once again, I have been dealing with utter exhaustion, and went to see my regular doc, not my urologist. He said, as he has said before, that waking up at night as often as I do is causing my exhaustion. I have tried various meds- elavil turned me into a zombie, as did hydroxyzine. Granted, I gave neither a long try because of the side effects, so maybe they would have worked if I tried longer.
    Anyway, I have a new prescrip for gabapentin, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this? I am starting on only 100mg a night because of my reaction to other meds, but still the pharmacist warned me that I might seem drunk or forgetful at first. This is difficult since I teach middle school and need to be on top of my game at all times. I'm worried.
    suncaro23

I would recommend starting it on a Friday night in case it does make you extremely drowsy the next day. Also, take it early in the evening so that it has plenty of time to wear off before morning.

I know that other's do take this, I am sure one of them with personal experience will chime in soon and share with you.

Sandra
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

I take 100 mg gabapentin at night, with my trazadone. I think it is the trazadone that lets me get back to sleep, each time I get up to pee at night. I am amazed that I am able to function each day, when I get up 4 to 6 times a night to pee. The gabapentine is for nerve pain.
      Current Medications:
      Trileptal - MS
      Amantadine - MS fatigue
      Trazadone - sleep
      Elmiron -since March 2007
      Gabapentin - pain
      Citracal - osteopenia
      Vitamin D - deficient
      Valium vaginal - as needed
      Prelief - as needed
      Fish Oil
      Metamucil

Comment

I think you should try the Elavil and Hydroxyzine again, but start at a really low dose. You'd be amazed at how your body adapts. I could probably pop a hydroxyzine during the day now and it wouldn't phase me. And it only takes a few weeks to get to that point. Just start slowly and increase gradually. My husband who is 6'3" can't even take a hydroxyzine but is amazed I can take 2 and be totally normal and I"m only 5'3". But that's because your body adapts after a while. I tried Gabapentin but it made me so dizzy, I felt drunk. I probably could have gradually increased that as well, but was so sick of trying more meds, so I gave it up.
        Update! Feeling much better these days and no longer on any meds!

Pelvic pain began July 2008. Urinary frequency began in November of 2008. IC Doctor says I'm one of the worst frequency patients he has had.

Things that helped me the most: IC Diet, Elavil (30mg), Elmiron since June '09 (500mg/day).

Previously tried and quit: one series of six instillations, Neurontin, Ditropan, Oxytrol, electric stimulation to the pelvic floor, Desert Harvest Aloe, Cystoprotek and Flomax, Hydroxyzine (50mg), Alesse Birth control (this helped my period flares when my symptoms used to be bad), PTNS (I think this helped).

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I tried the gabapentin as well and still have it in the cabinet. I am not going to discard it yet.. I did take it at night ( 100 mg) and then went to 1 in the morning and then 1 at night (200 Mg) and still did ok with it. I stopped it because I felt as if I was gaining a few pounds with that.. I still have it because it is hard to tell whether it is the Atarax or the Gabapentin making me feel bloated and fat.. I am also 5'3". I can also take the atarax and feel fine on it...

Comment

I worked myself up from 300mg to 1800mg. I have to take it by 9:00 or else it takes me a few hours in the morning to really wake up. I did have a few side effects at first, but they quickly went away. Anyway, I will take it like I mentioned around 9:00 and by 10 I am just about asleep. I usually sleep the night away, but every once in awhile I do wake up to go to the bathroom, but as soon as my head hits the pillow again I am back to sleep till 6:00 when the alarm rings.

Comment

Thank you for your help! I tried it for 2 nights. The first night, I was up my usual amount of times, and felt the same as always when I got up. The 2nd night, I was up every 15 or 20 minutes all night, and felt horrible the next day. I gave up then, because I have to be functioning as a mom and a teacher. Not sure what to do. I am now trying to just not drink much after 5 p.m. That has helped some nights, but not others. I could try the meds again over spring break possibly, but I don't want my time off ruined either. Any other ideas for me?
              suncaro23

Comment

I've was taking 25 mg of Pamelor for quite some time and just transitioned to gabapentin a few days ago. The first one made me tired ( I also teach middle school - math). I'm taking 300 mg of the gabapentin at a time, currently one in the morning, and one at night. I'm supposed to take 3 but need to work up to that. I do feel a tad drunk and forgetful. But it's tolerable. I'm not sure if it's helping the vv as much, though. The Pamelor made me very tired even though I was taking it for almost 2 years. When I picked up the gabapentin the pharmacist told me the reactions should go away pretty quickly. I tried Lyrica but couldn't tolerate that at all. I felt sick - like I was getting the flu. I've noticed my dry eyes, dry mouth, and constipation are much better. The other reason I wanted off the Pamelor was because I want to go for allergy and food sensitivity testing and they wouldn't test me while taking it. It is apparently a histamine blocker.

Comment

So has anyone else had 'side effects' where the meds that are supposed to calm the nerves actually don't and they just make the problem worse, or is it just me? Or will this go away if I try the gabapentin for more than 2 nights? I'm scared. I need something to work. I am just sooo tired already, and don't want to make it worse by taking something that makes me drowsy, but yet keeps me awake.

Comment

I just started gabapentin a week or so ago and noticed the first few time I took it I felt slightly "off kilter". Now I don't have that problem. Also the first few nights I was up a lot going to the bathroom but that has come down to once or twice a night for the past 3 nights. I really feel it is helping my pain and I am thrilled with that. I do think you need to try any med for more than two nights, if you don't give it a chance you may miss out on something that could really help you.

Sandra
                    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
                    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
                    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
                    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

I have this reaction all the time. When I very first started having problems my uro gave me Flexeril and said it would calm my muscles down. Well I had the total opposite effect and was awake all night with anxiety and insomnia. Atarax did the same thing to me and so did Elavil. Now I have to research any med my dr. suggests before I go and buy it. Anything with a tricyclic chemical similarity in structure wires me, when other people find them sedating. It gets really hard to find a med that I'm compatible with.

Comment

I have to take my tricyclic in the mornings b/c it also keeps me awake. The only meds that get and keep me asleep are in the benzo family: Valium, lorazapam...etc. I sleep through the whole night and do not get up to pee until the alarm goes off now.
                        Your Friend,
                        Michelle

Diagnosed: 10/16/09

Elmiron, 100mg 2x per day
                        Imipramine, 10 mg per day
                        Diazepam 10 mg for sleep
                        Zyrtec
                        Zovia, birth control (ongoing-no periods)
                        Probiotics
                        Hydrocodone, 2 pills a day (at any time of day)

Comment

Michelle- That is fabulous that you are sleeping through the night. I am wishing for that. And good news- I tried the gabapentin last night again, and slept initially for 5 hours before getting up, and then another 2..For me, that is a record! I was a bit groggy this morning, but I'm hoping that this will wear off when I get used to the meds. I'm glad I gave it another try, and I will do so again tonight. Thanks everyone, for you advice and thoughts!
                          suncaro23

Comment

neurontin (gabapentin)

Mine is prescribed for one 3 times a day for muscle spasm. I take it with enablex. Only side effect is dry mouth.

Comment

I tried again, and the first night, things went fine. The 2nd night- not so good- just like with elavil, I was completely out of it the next day for the entire day...I was useless, and I could only watch TV and sleep for a few minutes at a time. I don't know what to do. I am thinking maybe only every other night might work for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X